The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Loaded Question (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=285081)

Brett Ritter 08-04-2020 11:34 AM

Loaded Question

If I went through my engine and did the following:

Bore, Babbitt, Cam, mill Head, Webber intake kit, header, digital ignition & 12 volt conversion.

About what HP can I expect?

Ruth 08-04-2020 11:37 AM

Re: Loaded Question

I gotta watch this one...

rotorwrench 08-04-2020 11:59 AM

While the engine will work with the poured main & rod bearings, most folks have started gravitating towards insert beings and pressure oiling. Since it is a big 4-cylinder at 200 CID, a person could expect to get a respectable increase in horse power. The Model A & B engines were run on the dry lakes of California a lot before the V8 started to take over. The big limitation is the fact that it's a valve in block engine so most of the rodders back then did a lot better with OHV conversions.

kenparker 08-04-2020 12:41 PM

In answer to initial question. It depends on which head and how much is milled? Depends on which cam? Is the Weber jetted correctly? Keep in mind. Electricronic ignition does NOT add HP. 12 volt vs 6 volt does NOT add HP.
Be more specific and you get more accurate answer, ken

Brett Ritter 08-04-2020 01:10 PM

I was looking for a general answer. I understand the variables. I know what I’m looking at doing isn’t reinventing the wheel and wondered what guys are getting.

The Model T guys were very helpful when I built my T & had questions like this. Also the LSR guys were I built my Landspeed car.

Just trying to get a general baseline.

Thanks,
Brett

Harpkatt 08-04-2020 01:28 PM

60-65 Seems to be pretty readily achievable from what I've heard. One of the biggest issues with big HP numbers and highspeeds is getting the RPM's up. The huge Fly wheels helps with the torque.

HP=Torque(RPM)/5252

I've heard the Insert Bearing can help get the engine spinning faster-But I've also heard mixed review on longevity of these installations.

ryanheacox 08-04-2020 04:14 PM

Type of head would help us make a better guess. If it's a stock head even with the webber and the cam my guess would be around 55.

Brett Ritter 08-04-2020 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harpkatt (Post 1916716)
60-65 Seems to be pretty readily achievable from what I've heard. One of the biggest issues with big HP numbers and highspeeds is getting the RPM's up. The huge Fly wheels helps with the torque.

HP=Torque(RPM)/5252

I've heard the Insert Bearing can help get the engine spinning faster-But I've also heard mixed review on longevity of these installations.

Thank you. That is what I was looking for.

Much appreciated

Brett Ritter 08-04-2020 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanheacox (Post 1916760)
Type of head would help us make a better guess. If it's a stock head even with the webber and the cam my guess would be around 55.

Thank you