The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Musty Smell (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=285068)

jack wingard 08-04-2020 07:20 AM

Musty Smell

what is the best way to remove musty smell from inside the car?

marty in Ohio 08-04-2020 07:55 AM

Re: Musty Smell

I spray with Fabreeze a couple times a year. Works for me.
Marty

TerryO 08-04-2020 08:08 AM

Roll the windows down and drive, drive,drive...:D :rolleyes:
TOB

Harpkatt 08-04-2020 08:35 AM

I agree with the Drive drive drive sentiment. You can sprinkle Baking soda on the seats and carpet let it sit for a few minutes and vacuum it up, this will help a bit.

Tacoma Bob 08-04-2020 10:45 AM

Depends on what it is. "Musty" can mean a lot of stuff. The best you can do is mask the odor. The problem is through time these odors are absorbed by the fabric and cotton and in some cases the floor boards. I reupholstered our Tudor two years ago and it had a very old interior in it (not original). I did find mice skeletons under the rear seat and cleaned best I could and used bleach to sanitize and deodorize when I first bought the car. When I re-did the interior I was shocked as I found 6 more skeletons one of which was in the headliner. I sprayed bleach and painted Por 15 on everything. With the new interior I use baking soda in an open container and it seems to work OK. You might check with a commercial/residential outfit to see what is used by them.

David R. 08-04-2020 11:53 AM

Hydrogen peroxide is the best thing I’v found to eliminate odor. Works for skunk odor and even a refrigerator that had power off for 3 weeks one summer in the fishing camp. Don’t know how safe it would be on fabric, might bleach color out. Suppose you could try it diluted in inconspicuous area?

jwilliams81 08-04-2020 12:11 PM

I'll be honest.. mine smelled old when I got it and I loved it.
My wife always hated the smell of the interior.

After two years of ownership I had someone in our club re-tack the headliner the correct way. In doing so she found two dead mice up above the headliner/rear side panels. That was the source of my "Old car smell".

Now I keep Bounce dryer sheets under the seats and the interior always smells nice :)

Big hammer 08-04-2020 06:10 PM

Damp-rid works in buildings that smell musty, with a car you might need to seal the car. A new interior will work, that worked with my Tudor !

1930-Pickup 08-04-2020 07:49 PM

Put about a cup of household Ammonia in a bowl.
Roll up the windows.
Put the bowl in the car overnight.
Smell is gone.
Cheap. Easy. Fast. Safe. Effective.

Synchro909 08-04-2020 07:58 PM

I don't know whether this product is available in the US but I use NilOdor. It is a small spray or an even smaller bottle with a dipper stick that carries a couple of drops. That is enough. a couple of squirts in the car and any odour - even cigarettes is gone for a few weeks. Then repeat.
https://www.productreview.com.au/lis...er-concentrate

ronn 08-04-2020 08:03 PM

3 hours of an ion machine.............

TerryO 08-04-2020 08:50 PM

I still like my solution in post #3...If you still have the smell you simply haven't driven it enough...:)
TOB

McMimmcs 08-04-2020 08:59 PM

I’ve had good luck with a bowl of white vinegar in a closed car over the weekend. My friend uses a plate of charcoal briquettes and he swears by his remedy!

redmodelt 08-05-2020 09:54 AM

Dead mouse aside, nothing like the smell of an old car that had been sitting for years all shut up, that bring back memory's of when I was a kid, every time I get in one. Love it! :)

Bob/AZ 08-05-2020 10:03 AM

Ozone generator. I use one in my VRBO rental cabin. Gets rid of food odor and smoke.

katy 08-05-2020 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David R. (Post 1916687)
Hydrogen peroxide is the best thing I’v found to eliminate odor. Works for skunk odor and even a refrigerator that had power off for 3 weeks one summer in the fishing camp. Don’t know how safe it would be on fabric, might bleach color out. Suppose you could try it diluted in inconspicuous area?

How is it used? Spray? In a dish or bowl overnight?

Brett Ritter 08-05-2020 10:45 AM

I put a febreeze air freshener under the rear seat of my Tudor. It works well.