The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   American pickers (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159666)

robert shreveport 01-21-2015 02:37 PM

American pickers

See they're in my town this week.

Rowdy 01-21-2015 03:28 PM

Re: American pickers

Stopped in Iowa to see there shop in Dec. They have a nice T-shirt and trinket shop. Not much in the way of antiques. Disapointing to say the least. Have stopped watching their show since. What a couple of fakes IMHO. Rod

mshmodela 01-21-2015 03:43 PM

The show and pawn stars are getting very old...

Fred 01-21-2015 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mshmodela (Post 1019662)
The show and pawn stars are getting very old...

Change the station !!..

Curt Campbell 01-21-2015 04:33 PM

I agree Rowdy. Stopped in Le Claire a couple years ago...wasn't much to it. All the reality shows are fake and staged...no surprise there. I am more tired of Pawn Stars.

ericr 01-21-2015 04:35 PM

we talk about them periodically here. somebody told me that they really do not drive to these locations, that they fly in and rent a vehicle, or at least that is their recent practice.

also I wonder what their primary business is....estate liquidations or the like? surely it would be tough to make a living driving around this country on the if-come that they will make purchases at wholesale prices, whether the eccentric sellers are scripted or not.

Tom Cavallaro 01-21-2015 04:53 PM

I too was dissapointed after visiting the Nashvill store in TN. waited for over an hour to get in, the antiques were old...useless...and set as props as far as I'm concerned.
They survive on the 10.000 dollars the show gives them to film them plus the stuff they pick, they already have buyers for before they bid on it. That's why nothing is in the store.

BlueSunoco 01-21-2015 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowdy (Post 1019651)
Stopped in Iowa to see there shop in Dec. They have a nice T-shirt and trinket shop. Not much in the way of antiques. Disapointing to say the least. Have stopped watching their show since. What a couple of fakes IMHO. Rod

X2 Rowdy I haven't watched those two in a LONG time got tired of their nonsense. The skinny one was really getting into himself. I believe Tom, that it's not $10K but $25K per episode each of those guys are paid. Now they want BIG bucks to show up at an event plus they won't sign autographs for free, gonna cost ya. Wow, like they are that important to begin with. Who promotes these clowns? Where does all that come from?

I 'popped' as they say and avoid that channel when I see them on.

tbirdtbird 01-21-2015 05:57 PM

Y'all are right on.
They do already have buyers and the prices they show for what they intend to sell at are BS. The prices in the Nashville store are a million dollars apiece for anything of any interest at all. The cheapest thing was one of their own coffee mugs but they wanted 25 bucks. sorry, not gonna happen. have not watched them since....all smoke and mirrors

Pawn Stars is nauseating the way they rape people

Slowplane 01-21-2015 06:38 PM

A friend stopped at the pawn guys in Las Vegas with an antique stock ticker that was her dad's. The front counter lackie came up to $300. After haggling, and gettin' the bald guy involved, baldy upped it to $450. told her he'd MAYBE get $700-800 for it on resell. She declined, took it home, and flipped it on ebay the next week for $4800.
My experience is to sell NOTHING to any pawn shop.

pgerhardt 01-21-2015 07:00 PM

The American Pickers is a produced and scripted show. All the negotiations and prices are done ahead of time by the producers. I long ago gave up on the notion that any of it was real, but still enjoy the show. It does drive me crazy when they walk right past some cool Model A or A parts to get all excited about an old crappy ice-cream sign!

I got a good laugh when Frank got all excited and bought a "1931 Roadster" that was actually a 28-29 Coupe!:D

BTW I get the impression from the show that the south is just filled with undiscovered Model A Fords and ford parts!

31 Model A 01-21-2015 07:19 PM

Just what reality show is worth a damn or really what it portrays as being what you think it is? Reality shows show only one thing, boredom abounds in everyday life today.....IMO!!!!!

C26Pinelake 01-21-2015 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slowplane (Post 1019782)
A friend stopped at the pawn guys in Las Vegas with an antique stock ticker that was her dad's. The front counter lackie came up to $300. After haggling, and gettin' the bald guy involved, baldy upped it to $450. told her he'd MAYBE get $700-800 for it on resell. She declined, took it home, and flipped it on ebay the next week for $4800.
My experience is to sell NOTHING to any pawn shop.

Pawn Shop = Desperate
Only the desperate sell to a pawn shop ! They should be called The Down and Out Shop !
Wayne

Bob-A 01-21-2015 07:29 PM

For the past few years. I have noticed the price on antiques and antique car parts on eBay. To be going up, up and away!:eek: I truely believe that
people who watch this show. Say to them selves, "Martha (or Milburn) those old car parts (or just old stuff in general) left by your deceased granddad/mother is worth a fortune! Just like on this TV show!":rolleyes: Some
high school buddies and I use to "pick" back in the late '60s. We did it for fun and to learn about the past. Not to make the "god awful dollar".;) i quit watching years ago. I do like "diggers" those guys are corney and look to have a lot of fun looking for buried junk...oops..lost treasures from the past. The best part: The fun is worth more then the items found 10 times over.:p

Bob-A:D

BlueSunoco 01-21-2015 07:39 PM

It's OK to slam Am. Pickers and such, and I agree all 'reality' shows are pure BS, BUT don't attack Honey BooBoo whatever you do:p Mama June ( I think was the Mom) has lots of junk in the trunk might be an 'A' out back of the shed.

They ARE down South where people are portrayed by TV as easy rubes and push overs, lacking in smarts but that ain't true. For sure. Plenty of fine folks down South.

james hitchcock 01-21-2015 07:44 PM

Pickers are due in my town in Feb. They had an add in the paper asking for leads. Visalia, Ca.

tbirdtbird 01-21-2015 07:49 PM

watch out now.....ain't no "rubes and push overs" in Texas...and none in Alabama either....:D

31 Model A 01-21-2015 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueSunoco (Post 1019823)
BUT don't attack Honey BooBoo whatever you do:p Mama June .

"boredom abounds in everyday life today.....IMO!!!!!"

Honey Boo-Boo....perfect example, I rest my case. ;)

triumphleroy 01-21-2015 08:27 PM

Got a call from the pickers in December requesting to visit and look at my hoard but never even called them back. I had heard through the Grapevine that they were to be in the area in January and several folks had given my name to them. Don't think I need the bother, I solved all my TV watching problems over thirty years ago when I got rid of my wife and Television and raised four children by myself without television...........Do not have TV in my home!

tbirdtbird 01-21-2015 09:29 PM

you ain't missin' a thing!