The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Zenith-ll carburetor question (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278162)

Dougs 28 03-18-2020 08:21 PM

Zenith-ll carburetor question

I have a Zenith-ll carburetor on the 28 and I have a problem with it leaking through the intake. The A runes great when I take it out for a drive and then when I come back and park it, the carb doesn’t leek for hours, then I’ll check it the next morning and it has leaked. Every time I get done driving it I shut the gas off from the the tank. So I’m not sure if the float is sticking or if it could be something else...?

Doug

DBrer 03-18-2020 08:43 PM

Re: Zenith-ll carburetor question

Probably the float valve. If it leaks slowly it takes somtime to overflow the float bowl, I had this problem just last week.

DBrer 03-18-2020 08:48 PM

Dougs 28, Read the article by Tom Endy on Zenith carburetor restoration tips, that helped me tremendously. Mine is working great now.

Ernie Vitucci 03-18-2020 09:18 PM

Good Evening...Sometimes this leak is a combination of a leak in the shut off valve under the dash combined with the float valve and the head pressure coming from the dribble of the under dash valve. A quarter turn shut off valve from Bratton's that will not leak can sometimes/often cure the problem of the two old fashioned valves dribbling tiny amounts of fuel...Ernie in Arizona

Synchro909 03-18-2020 09:21 PM

If the jets are not installed at the right height (ie, too low), fuel will run through them if the float valve and tap leak.

Brentwood Bob 03-18-2020 09:27 PM

To isolate the carb from the under tank shutoff, disconnect the gas line into the carb.

Dougs 28 03-18-2020 09:40 PM

Thanks for the info, guys, I’ll check out Tom Endy’s article on Zenith Carburetors and go from there. Appreciate the advise..

Doug

Mulletwagon 03-18-2020 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernie Vitucci (Post 1863513)
Good Evening...Sometimes this leak is a combination of a leak in the shut off valve under the dash combined with the float valve and the head pressure coming from the dribble of the under dash valve. A quarter turn shut off valve from Bratton's that will not leak can sometimes/often cure the problem of the two old fashioned valves dribbling tiny amounts of fuel...Ernie in Arizona

Leaky shut off valve is a real possibility. Recommend disconnecting the fuel line at the carb and placing it in a bottle overnight in a bottle with the shut off closed. Mine would leak about two oz. overnight and resulted in a carb leak which left gas fumes in the entire garage. New shut off valve fixed the problem.

DBrer 03-18-2020 10:13 PM

You should be able to leave the tank valve on all the time, even if it leaks. the float valve should keep gas from leaking so if you have a carburetor leak the float valve is bad. I would still change the tank valve if its bad. I do shut off the tank valve when the car is going to sit for awhile just in case the float valve fails.

Bill G 03-18-2020 10:28 PM

A while back I bought an electric shut-off valve so I didn't have to worry about it. I still shut off the manual tank valve when I park for long periods of time. However, even before that I never had any carb leakage when leaving the tank valve on. I guess I should call myself lucky.

160B 03-18-2020 10:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have found that the float can contribute to the problem. You need to inspect carburetor float hinge bracket, frequently the float valve needle will wear a dimple in the hinge bracket and the dimple will impede the float travel and thus not completely seat the needle in the float valve. See the below photos of two floats with dimples from years of contact with the float valve needle.

I have sanded the bracket to remove the dimple.

Dutie 03-19-2020 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernie Vitucci (Post 1863513)

Your right Ernie, that positive 1/4 turn shut off from Brattons has worked well for me. Been 5 years.....no leaks. :D

30 Closed Cab PU 03-20-2020 09:54 AM

I like to isolate 1st. Turn off the shutoff, take gas line off at carb, let gas line drain dry for a couple of hours, stick a small jar with a piece of paper/tissue in the jar under the free end of the gas line and let sit overnight. If gas in the jar, or paper is stained, fix the shutoff. Put the gas line back on the carb, test overnight with the shutoff off, check the carb air intake for gas Turn on shutoff on and leave overnight, if leaks fix carb.

doa44green 03-20-2020 08:02 PM

My Zenith II has gas that wicks up the wall of the inside of the carb. and runs over at the gasket surface. No opne has been able to solve that problem for me yet.

johnbuckley 03-21-2020 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doa44green (Post 1864311)
My Zenith II has gas that wicks up the wall of the inside of the carb. and runs over at the gasket surface. No opne has been able to solve that problem for me yet.

Why not make that a sepearte thread- you'd have lots of opinions I'm sure- Maybe be even some useful stuff;)

Benson 03-21-2020 07:41 AM

double post ...

Benson 03-21-2020 07:43 AM