The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Fuel Adjustment (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=285538)

JCHarvey 08-13-2020 02:33 PM

Fuel Adjustment

When I turn the fuel adjustment knob (inside the car) counter clockwise or clockwise it just keeps turning without coming to a stop. I wanted to turn it all the way to left (counter clockwise) then open it about 1/4 to 3/4 to the position it runs best.

Is something stripped?

ryanheacox 08-13-2020 02:38 PM

Re: Fuel Adjustment

Check that the knob hasn’t separated from the shaft. Repros have been known to do that.

Tom Endy 08-13-2020 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCHarvey (Post 1919782)
When I turn the fuel adjustment knob (inside the car) counter clockwise or clockwise it just keeps turning without coming to a stop. I wanted to turn it all the way to left (counter clockwise) then open it about 1/4 to 3/4 to the position it runs best.

Is something stripped?

I think you are turning it in the wrong direction. Turn it clockwise (to the right) to close it, then turn it to the left slightly to open to whatever you want.

Tom Endy

Ruth 08-13-2020 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Endy (Post 1919788)
I think you are turning it in the wrong direction. Turn it clockwise (to the right) to close it, then turn it to the left slightly to open to whatever you want.

Tom Endy

What Tom says. If you keep turning it CCW it will eventually unscrew out of the carburetor.

30 Closed Cab PU 08-13-2020 05:04 PM

The post says has is tried both ways, will not stop in either direction.

Synchro909 08-13-2020 06:31 PM

I ditto post 2

The Master Cylinder 08-13-2020 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU (Post 1919821)
The post says has is tried both ways, will not stop in either direction.

It never would in the CCW direction. :rolleyes:

Bill G 08-14-2020 12:02 AM

Maybe lift the hood and separate the GAV shaft from the needle shaft and look and see? You're going to have to take a look to actually know.

johnbuckley 08-14-2020 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill G (Post 1919928)
Maybe lift the hood and separate the GAV shaft from the needle shaft and look and see? You're going to have to take a look to actually know.

and whilst you're at it check the threwads of the needle are actually engaging into the threads of the GAV housing!

JD 1931 08-14-2020 05:14 AM

Check choke driver on carb, , it may be broke....

DBSHELTON 08-14-2020 05:19 AM

I just had this problem. The threads were all still good but I used some Loctite on the knob. Problem fixed.

Smooth_One 08-14-2020 12:40 PM

Side note... I put a dab of dielectric grease on my choke rod threads and it works MUCH better now. Doesn’t help your problem but I thought I’d add the info.

JCHarvey 08-14-2020 02:42 PM

Thanks all for the correct direction to turn the fuel adjustment knob. It makes complete sense to turn CW to close and CCW to open.
Mine is fairly stiff to turn so may try the dielectric grease.

I turned the knob CW until closed then opened about 1/2 to 3/4 turn and am still having problems getting it to run as good as it did before. It just seems like it starved for fuel. There is a slight pause, almost like a miss. I've been experimenting with turning the fuel adjust know 1/4 to 1/2 more CCW and that doesn't seem to help. Prior to this it was running great without any indication that it was starved for fuel.

DBSHELTON 08-14-2020 02:53 PM

Possibly trash in the carb?

Licensed to kill 08-14-2020 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCHarvey (Post 1920132)
Thanks all for the correct direction to turn the fuel adjustment knob. It makes complete sense to turn CW to close and CCW to open.

I turned the knob CW until closed then opened about 1/2 to 3/4 turn and am still having problems getting it to run as good as it did before. It just seems like it starved for fuel. There is a slight pause, almost like a miss. I've been experimenting with turning the fuel adjust know 1/4 to 1/2 more CCW and that doesn't seem to help. Prior to this it was running great without any indication that it was starved for fuel.

I would clean the carb with carb cleaner, generously sprayed in every orifice, then clean the plugs, set your GAV to 1/2 turn out and go for a drive at highway speed for 10-20 miles then pull the plugs and check the colour. The you will know if you are lean, rich or good on the fuel side of things. MOST people report that they run the GAV at 1/4 turn out but my car requires 1 full turn even with an air filter to achieve a nice light tan colour to the plugs. At 1/2 turn the plugs run white and it stumbles and lightly backfires occasionally.

JCHarvey 08-20-2020 01:50 PM

Here's what I found was the problem.
As noted above the car was running but not correctly. Found all four plugs were fouled. Cleaned the plugs and reinstalled and it drove better but still not right. Fiddled more with GAV knob and figured out I had it turned all the way out. Apparently when I was trying to adjust it before the threads got stuck and there was a hard place which I thought was full CW but once I actually turned it all the way CW then backed off 1/4 turn, it runs great. Simple problem that helped me learn a little more about the car.

Big hammer 08-20-2020 07:48 PM

The Ford Barn thanks you for your posting as how you solved your problem ! Now go for a long drive :-)

1930-Pickup 08-20-2020 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smooth_One (Post 1920093)
Side note... I put a dab of dielectric grease on my choke rod threads and it works MUCH better now...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCHarvey (Post 1920132)
Thanks all...
I turned the...

This is how really weird myths get started :D

Patrick L. 08-21-2020 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1930-Pickup (Post 1922386)
This is how really weird myths get started :D

That grease will let all those electrons flow so much easier ! :D

DannL 08-21-2020 08:23 AM

You can go to google and search for "ford model a instruction" and a link to th original manual should be made available from Palm Beach Ford Model A's. Page 22 covers the GAV. I have used it often.