The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Terms? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=285951)

David R. 08-21-2020 10:31 AM

Terms?

I am not a young guy but fairly new to model A world. Currently working on a AA. On some of the model A sites I keep seeing the term “banger” referred to a lot. What does that mean? An engine with babbit worn out maybe? Excuse my ignorance please.

Jim/GA 08-21-2020 10:38 AM

Re: Terms?

It refers more to the overall state of the vehicle. It is a rough looking car that you don't feel bad about banging around in, for fear of scratching paint, etc.

Some guys will make their bangers very powerful and reliable mechanically, have good steering, electrical and brakes, etc., but have the body and upholstery look like they just pulled the car out of a barn, where it had been sitting for 50 years. Kind of a fun look.

:cool:

David R. 08-21-2020 11:03 AM

Well thanks for clearing that up. Around here we called them beaters. Same idea I reckon.

Flop 08-21-2020 11:10 AM

Where I say banger I’m referring to the 4 cylinder motor . Never used it to describe the condition of a car before.

Jack Shaft 08-21-2020 11:19 AM

Hopped up ford flathead 4 cylinder..there are cats who do the body and paint capable of fine point,some dont..no restoration guidelines or judging standards.

Bob C 08-21-2020 12:48 PM

I agree with the above two about referring to the engine.

Ruth 08-21-2020 01:13 PM

We always used banger with reference to a four cylinder engine, usually with a '4' proceeding it. As in "4 Banger". Didn't matter if it was O/H or Flattie.

California Travieso 08-21-2020 01:32 PM

I agree with Flop, Jack and Bob C. that the the term “4 Banger” shortened to “Banger” refers to a modified 4 cylinder engine. Jim Brierley’s book which deals with his experience in the modification of 4 cylinder engines is entitled “4-bangers! And me!” and includes a history of such engines in racing especially when they went up against the 8 cylinder engines.

David Serrano

Harpkatt 08-21-2020 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flop (Post 1922487)
Where I say banger I’m referring to the 4 cylinder motor . Never used it to describe the condition of a car before.

Agreed. Usually a "hopped up" 4 cylinder.

Purdy Swoft 08-21-2020 02:09 PM

There will be a bang in each cylinder on the power stroke when the spark ignites the gas and air mix in the combustion chamber . The model A has four cylinders . Four banger is a slang term for four cylinder engines .

David R. 08-21-2020 03:47 PM

I get the 4 banger slang but I see the banger only reference a lot and it didn’t register. Wouldn’t every internal combustion engine be a banger then? ... and if you only say banger with out reference to number of cylinders couldn’t you assume it was a single cylinder?

California Travieso 08-21-2020 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David R. (Post 1922555)
I get the 4 banger slang but I see the banger only reference a lot and it didn’t register. Wouldn’t every internal combustion engine be a banger then? ... and if you only say banger with out reference to number of cylinders couldn’t you assume it was a single cylinder?

You’re over thinking this.

I’ve never heard people with V-8 or 6 cylinder engines refer to their engines as Bangers. It’s normally a term used by car guys so you wouldn’t find anyone with a one cylinder car engine unless it’s a very early “horseless carriage” or a European Micro car made after WWII.

David Serrano

Bill G 08-21-2020 04:22 PM

It's a very technical term with a precise meaning.

David R. 08-21-2020 04:26 PM

I’m having fun with it anyway. I’ve had some six cylinder engines with worn mains that were ‘bangers’, especially on a hard pull.

Pete 08-21-2020 05:44 PM

I can trace the term “banger” back to the teens. (WW1) My Dad raced model T’s as a teen ager. It means a MODIFIED 4 cylinder engine, generally used for some type of racing. It did or does, not have to be any specific brand or type.
JUST 4 CYLINDERS AND MODIFIED SOMEHOW.
In the 30’s snd 40’s my Dad was transferred all over the country with his job so I got to meet many well known pro racers and I can’t recall ever meeting any that didn’t know instantly what “banger” meant.

Different slang terms can mean different things in different areas and different time era’s. It is no big deal. It is always interesting to me to know where they came from originally. It is all “keen stuff” and it was a “neat” time to
grow up….lol

Licensed to kill 08-21-2020 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David R. (Post 1922555)

Being slang, it means whatever you want it to mean. To me, it's a 4 cylinder engine, stock or modified. Interestingly, while the 4 cylinder is a "4 banger" a 1 cylinder is referred to as a "one lunger". I think it has more to do with how it rolls off the tongue. You want an interesting discussion of "terms" go to the HAMB and discuss what constitutes a "TRADITIONAL hotrod" :D.

Purdy Swoft 08-22-2020 10:09 AM

If it was a four stroke one cylinder motor cycle , it might be called a thumper .

DannL 08-22-2020 11:00 AM

Or in the case of my dad's motor bike which he referred to as "a one-lunger". As if it was missing one lung.

Jim Brierley 08-22-2020 11:36 AM

When I started racing Model A's in the 50's, the 4 cyl. engine was referred to as a '4 barrel'. In the mid 50's, new cars could be equipped with a 4-barrel carb, so racers changed to the word 4-banger, meaning 4 cylinders. This was in SoCal. The term applied only to the engine.