The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What year and what is it worth? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276347)

MplsMike 02-04-2020 03:48 PM

What year and what is it worth?

4 Attachment(s)
I am going to try and convince my cousin to part with her grandfather’s (my uncle’s) F1. It has sentimental value to her, but it is lying in a small garage that may fall down any day. I think it is ‘49 or ‘’50, it’s been parked over 30 years and has a flathead 8 cylinder. It is all there and fairly solid looking. I don’t want to offend her on price - what might something like this be worth? Assume the body is above average- not a lot of visible rust that I recall seeing but I am sure there are some rough spots. Here are some bad pics - small garage and no light.

J Franklin 02-04-2020 04:38 PM

Re: What year and what is it worth?

Offer $600.

JSeery 02-04-2020 04:41 PM

Not up on F1 prices, but I would think it would be worth way more than that! Think it could be parted out for much more.

fordwife 02-04-2020 04:46 PM

It's hard to tell, not seeing the truck, but if its complete, I'm thinking 3to 5k in my neck of the woods.

tubman 02-04-2020 04:59 PM

From what I can see (which ain't much), there are some positive things. The rear fender isn't banged up;, the dash looks nice, and at least some of the hose clamps are of the original type. If you can get in the garage, the one thing I would look at is the horizontal seam in the front fender. They always rust there. The rust (particularly on the upper piece) may tell you something about the overall condition of the body..

MplsMike 02-04-2020 05:18 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Thanks for all of the feedback. The only F1s for sale I see online are either redone and expensive, or an absolute basket case. The asking prices for the basket cases at times seem outrageous, but I have no idea what they actually go for. Here are a couple of additional pics - I don’t think I have a clear view of the front fender seam mentioned.

40cpe 02-04-2020 05:27 PM

From the pic of the grill, it is a '48-'50 model.

deuce_roadster 02-04-2020 05:42 PM

Looks better then what is found around here. If she was to sell it to you I would think a low price would be reasonable to keep it in the family. If just for somebody to wanting to flip it, much more. I think 3-5k would be reasonable

40 Deluxe 02-04-2020 05:42 PM

All that clutter around the vehicle makes it a mouse haven! They will nest everywhere in it.

MplsMike 02-04-2020 05:43 PM

Thanks, if I get a closer look, is there anything that would identify which of those three years? Where is the VIN tag on these trucks?

1948F-1Pickup 02-04-2020 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fordwife (Post 1848617)
It's hard to tell, not seeing the truck, but if its complete, I'm thinking 3to 5k in my neck of the woods.

Wherever that is?
There's enough that I can see that it would easily be 7-10K deal in
my "neck of the woods." (California)

1948F-1Pickup 02-04-2020 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MplsMike (Post 1848626)
Thanks for all of the feedback. The only F1s for sale I see online are either redone and expensive, or an absolute basket case. The asking prices for the basket cases at times seem outrageous, but I have no idea what they actually go for.

I had to go to the E coast to get my '48...... everything I saw conveniently located either......
- Had a Chevy engine
- Was a ridiculously high priced pile of rust (i.e.: project for a 25 year old
with mad skills and deep pockets)
- Had a modern engine/drivetrain
- Was completely restored and EXPENSIVE

40cpe 02-04-2020 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MplsMike (Post 1848640)
Thanks, if I get a closer look, is there anything that would identify which of those three years? Where is the VIN tag on these trucks?

I was told that the '48 engine had studs, went to head bolts in '49, so this should be a '49-'50.

I had a '52 that had the VIN plate on the inside of the pocket door.

marko39 02-04-2020 06:12 PM

Ford went with the 8ba in trucks in 48 so it should have head bolts.

flatjack9 02-04-2020 06:27 PM

That's what I thought also, but it turns they did have studs. I'm with the 3-5K guys. The midwest is far different than California (thank God).

Tim Ayers 02-04-2020 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flatjack9 (Post 1848656)
That's what I thought also, but it turns they did have studs. I'm with the 3-5K guys. The midwest is far different than California (thank God).

I agree. $5K on the high end. If the motor is toast, it's going to be $3-5K just on a quality rebuild. Since it doesn't run, I'd have to assume the worst.

Does she have a the title? Is a title needed in your state?

philipswanson 02-04-2020 07:10 PM

Offer her 2K.

philipswanson 02-04-2020 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philipswanson (Post 1848670)
Offer her $1300 if paperwork is clear.

Base value in NADA says $1287 in that condition.

MplsMike 02-04-2020 07:35 PM

Good question on the title. I believe a sale can be made without a title but it is more complicated. I don’t know if clear ownership has been established within my cousin’s clan as my uncle passed away many years ago. I think assuming the worst mechanically is fair. The truck is in far northwestern MN. My dad once reported an air temp (not windchill) of 52 below since he moved up there in the late 80’s.

Mart 02-04-2020 07:41 PM

If it has sentimental value to her, she will be overjoyed that you, as a family member want to do the work to get the Old Man's pride and joy cleaned up and back in running order.

It doesn't look particularly "valued" at present.

Just have a chat, and ask her what sort of figure she would be happy with, taking into consideration it is a project and there are lots of unknowns. Emphasise how much better she will feel about it when you turn up to take her for a ride in the Old Man's old truck.

Emphasise strongly that it is being kept in the family as a tribute and is not going to be sold anytime in the foreseeable future.

Hopefully she will be happy with a nominal sum as the value is in it being revived and not left to deteriorate.

Good luck with it, I'd love to see it in a better light and who knows? Maybe back up and running again in your hands.

Mart.