The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   GM Clutch Modification (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275685)

Phred 01-20-2020 06:56 PM

GM Clutch Modification

My Model A flywheel currently has the V8 clutch, and at first glance it may need bit of attention.
I have heard of a GM clutch being used with our Model A's.

If this is a not uncommon modification, is there any advantage to that clutch over the V8 clutch?

What clutch is used?

Will my Model A flywheel that is modified for the V8 clutch need any additional machining other than properly located mounting holes?

Does the Model A throw out bearing system still work with this mod?

Is there a clutch disc that fits this clutch and the Ford input shaft or does the input shaft need to be replaced?

Thanks in advance for any experienced input and any other things I may have not questioned.

Peace, Phred

Jim Brierley 01-20-2020 08:16 PM

Re: GM Clutch Modification

the diaphragm clutch I use is from a Ford Ranger, very smooth with light foot pressure.

briphaeton 01-21-2020 11:15 AM

Hi Jim
I looked up a 1985 ranger pressure plate on Rock Auto and they also have 6 mounting bolts like the early Ford V8 pressure plates. It would be nice if they were the same dimensions?
Brian

Jim Brierley 01-21-2020 12:38 PM

I got mine from Clutch Masters in Rialto, CA. It is a 9" clutch, the flywheel needs machining to match the PP. The total cost was $300, with my discount. This one included the proper disc for a Chevy T-5 trans, but they can supply any disc. The stock throwout bearing is used but some diaphragm clutches require a rounded face on the T.O. brg. My wheel had already been machined for a V8 clutch, but need a different bolt pattern.

George Miller 01-21-2020 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phred (Post 1843653)
My Model A flywheel currently has the V8 clutch, and at first glance it may need bit of attention.
I have heard of a GM clutch being used with our Model A's.

If this is a not uncommon modification, is there any advantage to that clutch over the V8 clutch?

What clutch is used?

Will my Model A flywheel that is modified for the V8 clutch need any additional machining other than properly located mounting holes?

Does the Model A throw out bearing system still work with this mod?

Is there a clutch disc that fits this clutch and the Ford input shaft or does the input shaft need to be replaced?

Thanks in advance for any experienced input and any other things I may have not questioned.

Peace, Phred

A chev clutch plate will not fit the Model A transmission shaft. the spline is to small on the chev

CarlG 01-22-2020 02:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's mine

Hotrodfil 06-23-2020 09:16 AM

Any part numbers on the diaphragm pressure plate? And the thrust bearing if necessary? Trying to source one in the UK.

Jim Brierley 06-23-2020 10:42 AM

The invoice from Clutch Masters says "Part No. 07017D" and says FORD DIAPH. That may be their own number, not sure. There is no separate number for the disc, and that is probably a combination of Ford and Chevy parts. You probably won't find such a thing at a normal parts store or on-line, your best bet is from a clutch re-builder. Good luck!

nomadpsd 06-23-2020 03:00 PM

According to Vince Falter. A diaphragm clutch from a 83-88 Thunderbird or 84-86 Mustang SVO 2.3L Turbo is 9" and the same bolt pattern as the V8 pressure plate.

johnneilson 06-23-2020 05:45 PM

This might be the one.............

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...133772&jsn=573

Jim Brierley 06-24-2020 11:11 AM

I've used the SVO clutch. It, and the Ranger that was the last one I bought, may have (?) the same bolt pattern as the early V8, but they have a dowel pin between each pair of bolts. If the pattern is the same, the dowels may be redundant? The SVO was a bit stiffer than the Ranger.