The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Not Model A... 1914 Dodge Touring (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173917)

eagle 07-21-2015 08:27 AM

Not Model A... 1914 Dodge Touring

This is an interesting old car on an auction here in MN. It is a 1914 Dodge, first year they were built. Serial number 5. So, there can't be more than 4 earlier than this one! http://www.faheysales.com/event/july...dated-list-do/

BILL WILLIAMSON 07-21-2015 09:27 AM

Re: Not Model A... 1914 Dodge Touring

Quite advanced looking, for 1914!! Chief was only 2 years old at that time!
Bill W.

RobertB 07-21-2015 11:04 AM

Looks like one of the cars Black Jack Pershing used to pursue Poncho Villa aftger Pancho and his "army" attacked Columbus, NM. First use of motorized infantry in the US Army.

:D

d.j. moordigian 07-21-2015 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertB (Post 1124960)
Looks like one of the cars Black Jack Pershing used to pursue Poncho Villa aftger Pancho and his "army" attacked Columbus, NM. First use of motorized infantry in the US Army.

:D

Yep!
Also, the first time they used aircraft,...Curtis "Jennie's". I think they used
4 of them.
My Grandfather was with Pershing when they rode into Mexico....good history!

mhsprecher 07-21-2015 11:37 AM

And financed by profits from selling Model T components to Ford and by phenomenal returns on their Ford stock.

Rowdy 07-21-2015 12:23 PM

There is a 1914 Dodge in this area that still has original paint, interior and windshield. Not sure how early in 1914 it was built. Doubt it is earlier than this one. Rod

37Benny 07-21-2015 01:41 PM

If my Wallet and Barn were bigger, I'd buy it than challenge T owners for "pinks". Benny

gz 07-21-2015 02:02 PM

Early Dodge Brothers are great touring cars. Electric start, electric lights, conventional distributor, 12 volt (yes, from the factory), a solid 30 HP, a great power to weight ratio, and a three-speed, conventional transmission (with an usual shift pattern). Very advanced for 1914-especially when compared to a Model T. They were built with relatively few changes until the about 1921. After that, they became significantly heavier and therefore, underpowered. A well sorted early Dodge will easily trounce a stock Model T. I have owned,driven and sold quite a few of both. A good friend participated in several of the early transcontinental Great American Races in his 1915 Dodge and typically did better than Fords and other significantly more expensive cars. Early Dodges are relatively common and have survived in high numbers. Ironically, they are an extremely affordable collector car and will often sell for less than a 1914 Model T. A great value for the money.

37Benny 07-21-2015 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gz (Post 1125036)
Early Dodge Brothers are great touring cars. Electric start, electric lights, conventional distributor, 12 volt (yes, from the factory), a solid 30 HP, a great power to weight ratio, and a three-speed, conventional transmission (with an usual shift pattern). Very advanced for 1914-especially when compared to a Model T. They were built with relatively few changes until the about 1921. After that, they became significantly heavier and therefore, underpowered. A well sorted early Dodge will easily trounce a stock Model T. I have owned,driven and sold quite a few of both. A good friend participated in several of the early transcontinental Great American Races in his 1915 Dodge and typically did better than Fords and other significantly more expensive cars. Early Dodges are relatively common and have survived in high numbers. Ironically, they are an extremely affordable collector car and will often sell for less than a 1914 Model T. A great value for the money.

Agreed. You can't talk Ford history without talking Dodge history;)Benny