The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model T (1909-1927) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Seized t engine (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298009)

my4dv8 04-30-2021 02:51 PM

Seized t engine

Ok , we have a decent 27 T available but it has a very seized engine. While anything is possible,is it feasible to fit an A or B engine into a T. Clearly I know little about the Model T.

jimTN 04-30-2021 03:57 PM

Re: Seized t engine

It can be done but with a lot of mods to the torque tube, driveshaft, frame and so on. You also would not have any brakes as the service brake for a T is in the transmission. If it is a nice T that failed in recent use, chances are there may be fix as long as it was not run continuously without oil. You should be able to find someone in your area that fools with Ts as there folks from NZ that post here.

rotorwrench 05-09-2021 08:26 AM

The model T has a very light weight structure even compared to the model A. If you pick up a bare model T frame from only one corner, you can see how the frame rails react. It flexes a lot more than the A frame.

The engine is only 20-HP and it is integrated into the frontal structure of the frame in a different way than the model A. The model A engine is a 200 cubic inch displacement and is twice the horse power. The sliding gear transmission with clutch is larger and heavier than the 2-speed band clutch & planetary transmission of the T.

The engine and transmission of the T is a very large part of the identity of the model T. Folks that built model T hot rods over the years usually put the T body on a different frame such as the model A or home built frames. Most of these were roadster bodies. Those that build model T speedsters seem to have a lot more fun with them using the original type engine. There are still T engines out there if you watch all the usual market sources for old cars. There is a large club following of the marque as well that is an ideal place to start. Find T owners near you and you may find a decent engine. A lot of Ts were sold to New Zealand and Australia.

RAJO special 08-16-2021 06:44 PM

Most gow jobs of the 30-40 were Model T bodies on Model A chassis. Much easier to go that route than putting a A engine in a T.
Good Luck,
K

J Franklin 08-16-2021 07:55 PM

Fix the engine it has, it will be easier in the long run. There are only a few reasons that engine cannot be made to work again. If it is really a fatality find another T engine.

John humphrey 10-15-2021 12:27 AM

It would change the character too much to put anything but a T engine in there

Rodrelic 10-15-2021 05:47 PM

If closer I have T engines that need shim and fit work done, why do I need so many when I like V8’s

Utopia Texas 10-15-2021 10:35 PM

Are you sure the seized engine isn’t something as simple as a stuck Bendix on the starter?

Rodrelic 10-16-2021 07:18 PM

I don’t know that much about the T transmissions yet, but if the band material had been damp and swelled up could be dragging on all the drums and causing lock-up? Similar to the shift fork malfunction and end up in low & reverse at same time. I need to take apart one completely and find out how they work.

J Franklin 10-16-2021 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodrelic (Post 2067291)
I don’t know that much about the T transmissions yet, I need to take apart one completely and find out how they work.

There are good videos on youtube showing the T transmission on a bench and disassembled that show the complete function of a planetary transmission.