The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Slightly OT, making new wooden wheels (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210027)

Sparky 11-29-2016 08:39 PM

Slightly OT, making new wooden wheels

A nice photo essay about how Coker is making new wooden wheels:

https://www.hemmings.com/hmw/how-its...en-wheels.html

1930-fordor 11-29-2016 10:09 PM

Re: Slightly OT, making new wooden wheels

Great looking wheels. A true craftsman.

Binger 11-30-2016 08:52 AM

Thanks for the link. mot too many people making wood wheels these days. I was lucky and found a guy 90 miles from Cheyenne who built a set for my 1910 Overland a few years ago.

SSsssteamer 11-30-2016 06:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It was curious to see the men using a bumper jack to spread the wood felloe halves apart so that they could hammer in the hub assembly with spokes attached. Henry Ford assembled the spokes into the two wood felloe halves first, then proceeded with the rest, the hubs and steel rims. No spreading of the felloe was needed by Ford. The Ford way is the same way that I have built my wheels.

nhusa 11-30-2016 06:28 PM

There is an Armish guy that does a fantastic job on wooden wheels. Drop over to the MTFCA site and someone can lead you to him.

BILL WILLIAMSON 11-30-2016 07:24 PM

Chief said folks with wooden wheels would take every opportunity to drive into/across a creek, in the HOT summertime.
Bill Splinter

dumb person 12-01-2016 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSsssteamer (Post 1392867)
It was curious to see the men using a bumper jack to spread the wood felloe halves apart so that they could hammer in the hub assembly with spokes attached. Henry Ford assembled the spokes into the two wood felloe halves first, then proceeded with the rest, the hubs and steel rims. No spreading of the felloe was needed by Ford. The Ford way is the same way that I have built my wheels.

i was thinking the same thing. Would be easier to press in the hub rather than stretch the wood that far.

SeaSlugs 12-01-2016 08:34 AM

sure looks like beautiful work. Its deffinately a lost/dying art but glad to see young people in the video doing it! Dont even wanna begin to guess on a price...

BILL WILLIAMSON 12-01-2016 09:47 AM

d.j. mordigians' Mother lived next door to me, I ACTUALLY drove her HUGE '26 Studebaker around the block, on HUGE wooden wheels!!! From the FACTORY, "ASTHMA" only had 2 wheel BRAKES & lots of other UNUSUAL features! It even had an ODD, 6 cylinder, firing order! AND, its' OIL pump was driven off the rear of the GENERATOR!
Bill Brave?

SSsssteamer 12-01-2016 09:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON (Post 1392893)
Chief said folks with wooden wheels would take every opportunity to drive into/across a creek, in the HOT summertime.
Bill Splinter

Soaking your wood wheels to tighten them is really a last ditch effort to get that last bit of use out of your wheels. After the wheels have been wet and then have then dried out, they are now looser fitting than they were before there were watered down. It is something like having a leaking inner tube with no spare tire, and having to rush from air hose to air hose to get home. In the days of the covered wagons crossing the plains, the creek crossing was an often opportunity to tighten up the loose wood wagon wheels, and to water both your horses and oxen. Nowadays, soaking your dried out and loose bare wood wheels in a mixture of linseed oil and kerosene, will often tighten the wheels up for another season of summer driving. I just rebuilt these rear wheels on our 50 HP 1910 KisselKar.

ronn 12-02-2016 06:42 AM

SS your Kissel is a beauty!

thanks for sharing the photo. always wanted to own a brass car with over 40hp.