The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Finding a nice Model A (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=336746)

Dave Mellor NJ 03-15-2024 11:21 PM

Finding a nice Model A

From AACA Forums

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/412719...-close-enough/

Chuck Dempsey 03-16-2024 07:16 AM

Re: Finding a nice Model A

Nice looking 'A'! It says 'original color', which appears to be black. Any stats on just how many black 'A's were sold? I think it was a special order from the factory to get it... Thanks for posting.

Thanks

J Franklin 03-16-2024 10:39 AM

I would bet many As were sold as black. Black was a common car color that was easily touched up when needed.

Keith True 03-16-2024 12:31 PM

After all the talk about the T's all being black,when the A came out it was not available in black at first.It was not listed as a color for the A until 1930.I've had two 31 coupes,and a 31 tudor that were originally black.

Chuck Dempsey 03-16-2024 01:10 PM

OK, thanks. I thought Ford tried through-out the 'A' run to discourage black, but I guess they finally relented....

fried okra 03-16-2024 03:46 PM

So most all 1928 and 1929 cars were not originally painted black from the factory?

Jim/GA 03-16-2024 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fried okra (Post 2298157)
So most all 1928 and 1929 cars were not originally painted black from the factory?

Not the bodies, only the fenders, splash apron, etc., beneath the body.

Andalusite Blue was available for many body styles in '28/'29. It is a very dark blue, almost black. It looks black when not well lit.

Synchro909 03-16-2024 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim/GA (Post 2298174)
Not the bodies, only the fenders, splash apron, etc., beneath the body.

Andalusite Blue was available for many body styles in '28/'29. It is a very dark blue, almost black. It looks black when not well lit.

I have a 1928 Tudor which I was told was painted Niagara Blue, Dark. I've since begun to wonder whether it is actually Andalusite Blue because it exactly fit the description you give. I have had no luck finding the formula for either colour and I have a "repair" to do. I think it is because the colour is so dark that the hood and fuel tank were painted black in error. The car looks OK in poor light but in the sunlight, the difference is obvious. Other paint formulas I have tried from American sources and met with blank looks here. I think that is because different companies use different methods and maybe because they are so old that no one knows them any more. Any clues on what I should do?

Jim/GA 03-17-2024 11:43 AM

Have a paint shop do a computer scan of the existing paint that want to match.

Do a test spray with that to confirm the match.

No paint code or formula will match existing old, aged paint. Better to match what you have.

Jyromefedx 03-17-2024 08:31 PM

Beautiful car in any case.

rackops 03-22-2024 11:48 AM

At least they haven't yet talked about their plans for rodding it...

Synchro909 03-22-2024 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim/GA (Post 2298309)
Have a paint shop do a computer scan of the existing paint that want to match.

Do a test spray with that to confirm the match.

No paint code or formula will match existing old, aged paint. Better to match what you have.

The paint was applied when the car was restored a few years ago and is a 2 pack paint. My experience is that those colour matching scanners are OK with pale colours but become less useful as the colour darkens. Mine is virtually black.