The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   cam install, won't turn all the way! help again please (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283724)

rottenron36 07-07-2020 03:54 PM

cam install, won't turn all the way! help again please

Had a post yesterday about installing a new used cam in 59a took the timing gear off and turn cam to get in the oil pump gear. Now the cam goes almost all the way around, but stops about 200 degrees. tried with oil pump in, and out. New to all of this, lost again. I hope it's something stupid so I can feel normal. Thanks for your help. Ron

JWL 07-08-2020 06:36 AM

Re: cam install, won't turn all the way! help again please

Is this a bare block except cam and oil idler gear?

ponymare 07-08-2020 06:51 AM

I would suspect something wrong with a tooth on either the oil pump gear or cam gear.

rottenron36 07-08-2020 07:36 AM

The crank, rods, and pistons are in. The flywheel, clutch and pressure plate are all in. That is why i took off the timing gear so i could turn the cam. Does the cam have a specific way to go in oil pump gear? Will be looking at everything again today. Thanks Ron

Kube 07-08-2020 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rottenron36 (Post 1907108)
The crank, rods, and pistons are in. The flywheel, clutch and pressure plate are all in. That is why i took off the timing gear so i could turn the cam. Does the cam have a specific way to go in oil pump gear? Will be looking at everything again today. Thanks Ron

Ron, I'd learned long ago to make one "change" at a time.
At this point in your journey, I'd suggest you remove the oil pump idler gear & cover. I typically install the cam and only then the pump gear & cover.
I am of the assumption that the valve train is NOT installed - correct?
If no valve train has yet been installed and the cam doesn't turn with the pump idler gear and cover removed, I'd look next at cam bearings being too tight.

flatjack9 07-08-2020 12:53 PM

Did the cam go in fairly easily or did you have to force it in? Odd that it rotates and then stops. That would sound like a bad tooth somewhere.

G.M. 07-08-2020 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flatjack9 (Post 1907198)
Did the cam go in fairly easily or did you have to force it in? Odd that it rotates and then stops. That would sound like a bad tooth somewhere.

What about the fuel pump push rod?? G.M.

rottenron36 07-08-2020 02:02 PM

Hey you all, thanks for all your help. PROBEM SOLVED! With nothing in the way of the cam we knew it to be the idler gear or the gear on the end of the cam. Some carless caretaker of the cam either hit it, bumped it, or dropped it. A little clean up and away we go. Another learning experience, Thanks again, Ron

flatjack9 07-08-2020 10:24 PM

Glad it was an easy fix.