The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Logolites opinions (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=271763)

Standing Elk 10-28-2019 11:43 AM

Logolites opinions

Am considering trying some of the LogoLites LED bulbs in my head lights. I am still running the 6V pos. ground system but with a Fun Projects voltage regulator. So am interested in any feed back anyone has on these particular bulbs. thanks

WTSHNN 10-28-2019 12:09 PM

Re: Logolites opinions

Mark Maron did an extensive test and write up on these bulbs. If you do a search you'll find several threads about them.

-Tim

ryanheacox 10-28-2019 12:11 PM

Here is a long thread about them, https://fordbarn.com/forum/showthrea...ight=logolites

30 Closed Cab PU 10-28-2019 12:19 PM

I have them and use them. They put out tons of illumination, but I can not get them to focus properly in the same pattern as the 50/50 or 50/32cp incandescents. Lots of info on Ford Barn on them if you do a search. I rarely drive at night, but also use them fulltime as daytime driving lights. Other drivers definitely notice and see you.

One of the main issues is the way they are constructed. The are 4 horizontal rows of leds, Two upper rows, and 2 lower rows. On high beam all 4 rows are on, but for low beam 1 upper row and 1 lower row are on. This gives you half the illumination, but ignores that only the lower row(rows) should be on for high beam, and the upper rows should be on for low beam so the light emitted can be properly focused by the headlight shell and glass lens on low beam.

Additionally the rows of LEDs are not completely horizontal, and can not be adjusted. No adjustability might be due to the replacement reflectors/integrated socket holder I have. Perhaps original design reflectors/socket and other repops are adjustable. However the incandescents do fit horizontal, so the locating pins on the logo lite bulbs are not correct.

Tom Endy 10-28-2019 01:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The attached article appeared in the Victoria Bustle newsletter October 2019.

Tom Endy

ryanheacox 10-28-2019 02:16 PM

Anyone else have trouble opening that article?

Conaway2 10-28-2019 02:31 PM

I recently installed a pair of the LogoLites LED bulbs - and I’m also running a 6V positive ground electrical system with a Fun Projects EVR on the original generator. As pointed out in post #4, they do put out a lot of light, but cannot really be focused. However, driving at night is now much easier with the much brighter headlights. I’m happy with them.

Jim

Bill G 10-28-2019 03:38 PM

I bought the Logo lights to see what all the hype was about. I will differ from anyone who says they can be focused. At LEAST not to the degree the incandescent bulbs do. I tried and tried. After spending nearly $60 plus shipping, the LED bulbs went into a drawer and probably won't be used again. It just puts out a field of bright light and it seems that whether bright or dim, both sets of LED arrays are lit up, albeit pretty brightly. Going from dim to bright does indeed make them very much brighter, but there is no change in the beam, presumably because there is no beam. Just brighter scattered light. My 32-50 bulbs are pretty descent in my opinion.

Ruth 10-28-2019 03:42 PM

Can I assume since the cannot be focused they tend to blind oncoming traffic?

I'm just curious, I run Ron Francis Brite Bulbs 175/75 cp, 12v only. They are shaped likeoriginal and can be focused.

Synchro909 10-28-2019 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruth (Post 1815117)

I'm just curious, I run Ron Francis Brite Bulbs 175/75 cp, 12v only. They are shaped likeoriginal and can be focused.

IMO, LED headlights should be banned. They cause too much glare for oncoming motorists which I believe is because they cannot be focussed properly. I'm waiting for someone to be sued when dazzle from their LED headlights causes an accident and I'm not just about only our cars. Modern cars with them are every bit as bad.

RUNNERBUN 10-28-2019 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanheacox (Post 1815083)

Works Ok for me.

Bill G 10-28-2019 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruth (Post 1815117)

I'm just curious, I run Ron Francis Brite Bulbs 175/75 cp, 12v only. They are shaped like original and can be focused.

I tested mine late one night and I live in a fairly rural part of the area I live in where traffic is light. I was fully expecting to get "flicked". I only encountered one car and was not "flicked".

TerryO 10-28-2019 07:26 PM

Quote:

IMO, LED headlights should be banned. They cause too much glare for oncoming motorists which I believe is because they cannot be focussed properly. I'm waiting for someone to be sued when dazzle from their LED headlights causes an accident and I'm not just about only our cars. Modern cars with them are every bit as bad.

My sentiments exactly.

TOB

Bill G 10-28-2019 07:51 PM

I feel that I am a young 68. However, my eyes have become ever increasingly intolerant to glare. LED headlights from just about any car drive me nuts, including brand-new off the showroom floor. Especially the knuckleheads who buy them aftermarket and retrofit their modern cars with them without any attempt to aim. It's really frustrating!

dumb person 10-28-2019 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synchro909 (Post 1815148)
IMO, LED headlights should be banned. They cause too much glare for oncoming motorists which I believe is because they cannot be focussed properly..

They can be.

Apperloo 10-28-2019 11:12 PM

Wow what a thread. I ordered a set on Saturday. Guess I can weigh in when they arrive lol

Bob Bidonde 10-30-2019 09:48 AM

I am 77, and I still remember from my youth being instructed to avoid looking directly at on-coming headlights. Modern cars will all have LEDs in the near future, so you all need to adjust to them.

Nobody says how well or not the LED headlights illuminate the road ahead. A scientific comparison of headlights bulbs is necessary including the original incandescent bulbs, halogens and LEDs.

My Model A's have halogen headlights in one and sealed beams behind the original lenses in the other. Both are better than the original bulbs in my opinion.

Focusing is not totally a function of the headlight light sources. The reflectors have a major role in shaping and aiming the light beams.

Focusing is a big deal when incandescent bulbs are used because the light filaments are off-center in the reflectors, and incandescent light has a flood light distribution. The same goes for halogen bulbs. LEDs are very directional, so an array of LEDs in one bulb is necessary to get a flood light distribution in the reflector similar to the output of the original incandescent bulbs.

30 Closed Cab PU 10-30-2019 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanheacox (Post 1815083)

Opened OK for me.

30 Closed Cab PU 10-30-2019 01:45 PM

Ruth,
Apperloo,

To help avoid possibility blinding others on low beam, I adjusted/pointed my drivers side head light down and towards the passenger side some. I do not drive much at night, but when I have not had other drivers flash their lights at me when I am on low beam.

Apperloo, would be interested in your observations. What ever you do not look straight at them or into the Headlights when on. They are so bright you can damage your eyes. Use very dark sunglasses, or a welding shield.

BillCNC 10-30-2019 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde (Post 1815747)
Modern cars will all have LEDs in the near future, so you all need to adjust to them.

I think they would eventually be banned before the majority of the people were forced to get used to them to avoid accidents. When it come to product liability, the market moves, ... well except for Tobacco , Sugar and, Salt. They seem to continue without impunity.

Regards
Bill