The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What Does This Overdrive Tranny Fit? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156449)

wayneyada 12-08-2014 02:13 PM

Re: What Does This Overdrive Tranny Fit?

Thank you guys so much! Now I at least know what I have. I bought it probably 10 years ago from a guy who said it was for 49-51 Ford. Obviously it wasn't, and I had to buy another one. However, it's taken me 10 years to admit that I will never need/use this one . . . and it would be nice to not have to walk around it anymore, so I am going to try and find a new home for it.

Obviously the bell housing has been repaired - but everything appears to line up well. I have never had it installed in any vehicle and the only thing I can say is that it locks nicely into all four gears, and turns the tail shaft without any hesitation or interference such as a broken gear. Any idea of what it might be worth?

Thanks again!!

V8COOPMAN 12-08-2014 02:30 PM

Probably not a whole lot more than the one I've also been walking around since about 1997 or so, except that yours is cleaner than mine. DD

51 MERC-CT 12-08-2014 03:29 PM

Got sick of walking around the one I have over 10 years ago and put it up on some shelving. I think it's still there :confused:

Barry-ct 12-08-2014 05:20 PM

The comment I made about the 50-52 F-1 not having a overdrive is correct. There is no mention of an overdrive in the 48-52 truck in all 3 versions of my Ford Parts and Service parts Catalogs,(48-54, 48-55, and 48-56 final issue) only the 53-54 in one version and 55 being different, having an overdrive. My 1952 Salesman Data Book lists the following transmissions: Standard-3 speed Syncro-silent w/ column shift. Optional 3 speed H/D or 4 speed (crash box) with 11" clutch and both floor shift.
Maybe an add on overdrive unit was added before delivery. Who knows?

rotorwrench 12-08-2014 06:43 PM

If the input shaft, coutershaft cluster, and low/intermediate gears are good, they will fit a lot of the old top and side loaders with the larger 39 & later synchronizer. The overdrive parts such as the main shaft, output shaft, and planet gear cluster all have some value if they are still in good condition.

38 coupe 12-08-2014 09:50 PM

The 49-early 51 Merc overdrive will not fit into a 48-52 F-1 frame without cutting the riveted in factory transmission cross member. I found this out after buying one to put into an F-1 in 1995 or so. I still have my transmission on a shelf too...

glennsanders 12-09-2014 06:29 AM

May be special order mod at dealer ,but the spec books read that never was in a truck and nor heard are saw one in a truck 48-52.

Charlie ny 12-09-2014 06:55 AM

Wayne,
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.......Some years back I built your
type of trans for Redneck I happily paid $250 for it. Recently I built another for a
swap into a '52 1/2 ton ( work in progress ) I paid $350 for that one. The second trans had 2 extra very good solenoids.
The Borg Warner OD parts, if a guys needs them, are scarce at least
in my experience and it is my preference to keep the rollers and shaft they have
lived with together as well as the planetary.
PM me with your location.
Charlie ny

blucar 12-09-2014 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry-ct (Post 994394)
The comment I made about the 50-52 F-1 not having a overdrive is correct. There is no mention of an overdrive in the 48-52 truck in all 3 versions of my Ford Parts and Service parts Catalogs,(48-54, 48-55, and 48-56 final issue) only the 53-54 in one version and 55 being different, having an overdrive. My 1952 Salesman Data Book lists the following transmissions: Standard-3 speed Syncro-silent w/ column shift. Optional 3 speed H/D or 4 speed (crash box) with 11" clutch and both floor shift.
Maybe an add on overdrive unit was added before delivery. Who knows?

I can only relate what I saw and drove for over two years, 1952-54. I am quite sure that a Ford dealer in a small town in Idaho did not take it upon himself to convert a new '52 pickup to an OD.
My father was an impulse buyer, he never ordered a special built vehicle in his life, nor would he have taken the truck to someone to have the conversion done..
I always keep "Super's" phraseology in mind. "It is best to not use the wording Always & Never, when talking about old cars"...

rotorwrench 12-09-2014 08:18 PM

The early 50s convertible cars with the X crossmembers had a rocker arm adapter contraption that remounts the shift solenoid under the transmission instead of sticking out the side. I don't know if the adapter would allow one to fit in an F1 or not since I don't have one anymore to check. My Dad sold of all his F1s years ago. I just wish he'd kept at least one of the damn things. He kept his 52 F3 up until he passed away but it was very rusty by that time and it wasn't an F1 so we let it go at a farm sale. At least I got to keep his old 51 Mercury.

southfork 12-11-2014 06:11 PM

What do you suppose caused the cast Ion bell housing to break/crack? Will the brazing hold it together OK?

expavr 12-12-2014 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southfork (Post 996139)
What do you suppose caused the cast Ion bell housing to break/crack? Will the brazing hold it together OK?

Depends on how it was brazed. Back in the late 50's I missed a shift and snapped off one of the shift arm supports on a 39 La Salle transmission and had it brazed back on. The shop drilled and pinned the part to temporarily hold it in place then ground a "v" around the break. The case went in an oven and was heated up, then brazed, put back in the oven and cooled down over several hours. That trans took a few more years of 1/4 mile abuse behind a hemi with no problems. If done right it should be OK.