The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   brake noise.. (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9275)

hardtimes 07-29-2010 07:54 PM

brake noise..

Fairly new(1000mi) brake job..entirely new on my 30 roadster. Used original brass wire impregnated woven lining..same as original(?)!
When starting out on a run, for the first three/four times putting the mechanical brakes on...terrible squeeling noise. Thereafter, when heated up, quiet as a mouse ..no matter how hard/soft applied! Any guess why noisey when 'cold'??

Jim Boehmke 07-29-2010 09:42 PM

Re: brake noise..

I used the extra thick woven linings from Brattons also on my "31 coupe. My brakes also squeel when cold but not sure why. Good news is it stops on a dime and gives a nickel change.

mass A man 07-29-2010 11:42 PM

Just finished up a brake job using the same linings from bratton's and there is no squeal, hot or cold. Now I'm wondering it could be something going on with your drums to make the noise? I'm running original drums, in pretty good shape and yes, this "A" will stop on a dime also!

hardtimes 07-30-2010 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mass A man (Post 52950)
Just finished up a brake job using the same linings from bratton's and there is no squeal, hot or cold. Now I'm wondering it could be something going on with your drums to make the noise? I'm running original drums, in pretty good shape and yes, this "A" will stop on a dime also!

Thanks. You may have something there, regarding the drum types! I have new type on front and originals on rear. REAR is where squeeling is occurring. Hmm, guess will take off rears and see if anything unusual happening.

Art Bjornestad 07-30-2010 08:22 PM

My friend had very noisy brakes and solved the problem by hooking a screen door spring around outside of the brake drum nearest the inside edge.

hardtimes 07-31-2010 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Art Bjornestad (Post 53437)
My friend had very noisy brakes and solved the problem by hooking a screen door spring around outside of the brake drum nearest the inside edge.

Art,
Now you've got me wondering!
wondering why the noise on a rebuilt system, and why a screen door spring would quiet that noise?? Hmm, mabe a trip to the hardware store in future!!

mass A man 07-31-2010 12:26 AM

Dear Hardtimes, Been trying to figure this one out since yesterday- You say sqeaking is coming from the orig. rear drums?, not the new cast fronts? The only thing I can think of is the old drums are glossed on the braking surface inside drum. I had the A out again today and I do enjoy the quietness of the new brakes. Best of luck!!!!-Pete.

Patrick L. 07-31-2010 12:26 PM

The woven linings are generally used with steel drums.. Are the linings riveted tightly and evenly to the shoes and have the ends been chamfered ?? Has any glaze been sanded from the drums or were they turned and appear a bit rough ?? Springs around brake drums used to be fairly common, it was to stop harmonics/vibrations.. I guess I never knew for sure whether it really worked or not, I guess now I know..

Aerocraft 07-31-2010 01:56 PM

I have often wondered what the answer is to the question of squealing. This Spring I removed very good woven lining from the rear brakes of my 40B and replaced it with molded lining with the ides that I might stop the loud squealing. The Roadster has low mileage and has excellent uncut steel drums all around. Even the roller tracks show no wear. The noise stopped. The fronts had earlier been replaced with molded lining. The question remains: why? Gar Williams

Patrick L. 07-31-2010 02:41 PM

Well, I can't say much about Model A brake noise.. But, most noise from air brakes comes from improper installation of the blocks/ friction material..Removal and correct installation of the same blocks will correct the problem.. Thats not much of an issue today since virtually no one rebuilds these shoes anymore, they just buy rebuilts.. So maybe the Model A noise is from improper installation which allows the linings to wander around a bit.. Is anyone having noise problems with molded/glued linings with chamfered ends??

MikeK 07-31-2010 03:45 PM

The squeal is caused by the frequency of the grab-slip of the shoes being the same as the harmonic frequency of the rear drums. Changing the mass or resonance characteristics of the drum will make it will stop.

Some old-time fixes: 1)Wrap a heavy screen-door spring around the drum. Overwrap it with friction tape if necessary to keep it in place. 2)Cut several 1" wide rings radially from an old inner tube. Stretch the bands over the drum. 3)Add a heat-and-shrink steel drum band. You might also try hack sawing 1/16" deep slots 1" apart, at a 45 angle across the shoe linings. If all else fails, get a 1000 watt sound system.

skip 07-31-2010 08:53 PM

Well Hard Times..brake noise = vibration from hard friction material and brake dust.
Ever listen to a taxi cab. Those binders are only for hard use and long life. Really soft shoes make a lot of dust but are quiet as the friction material absorbs some of the vibes. The parts guy at NAPA will ask if you want good, better or best? He means. Hard, medium, or soft friction material. So I have been told i the Bendix Brake School back in the 1960's.

Maybe woven or non-woven shoes used on the incorrect brake drum material. Steel or cast iron? One set-up is correct. One set up is not correct. Maybe that's the cause of the vibes?? Sorry I don't know which is which.

skip.

hardtimes 08-01-2010 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeK (Post 53805)
The squeal is caused by the frequency of the grab-slip of the shoes being the same as the harmonic frequency of the rear drums. Changing the mass or resonance characteristics of the drum will make it will stop.

Some old-time fixes: 1)Wrap a heavy screen-door spring around the drum. Overwrap it with friction tape if necessary to keep it in place. 2)Cut several 1" wide rings radially from an old inner tube. Stretch the bands over the drum. 3)Add a heat-and-shrink steel drum band. You might also try hack sawing 1/16" deep slots 1" apart, at a 45 angle across the shoe linings. If all else fails, get a 1000 watt sound system.

THANKS all of you guys for your input!
Wow, now I not only know why, but also how to alleviate! BTW, my brakes were done, back to original and better standards(lining trued to drims)by a master model a guy who also happens to be a national model a judge and seems there isn't anyone that doesn't know him or of him! Hmm, 'hormonic frequency'...should have known, as I'm a harmonica player(grin)!

jimnungesser 08-01-2010 09:29 PM

I FIXED MY SQUEALING BRAKES BY REPLACING ALL MY BRAKE DRUMS WITH CAST IRON DRUMS.

Jim, 31 sw fordoor

hardtimes 08-01-2010 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimnungesser (Post 54463)
I FIXED MY SQUEALING BRAKES BY REPLACING ALL MY BRAKE DRUMS WITH CAST IRON DRUMS.

Jim, 31 sw fordoor

Jim,
Thanks for that info. Yeah, Skip/others explained regarding the squealing vs hardness of materials. I take it that this will definitely include the 'old vs new drums. I intend to get two new cast drums for rear, when funds allow. Till then Mike advice/remedies are like gold! Rick

Chris Van 01-05-2016 10:42 AM

I was at my wits' end with my shrieking brakes. They sounded like a banshee. So loud that when I came home at night I'd have to go round the block and uphill so as not to have to use the brakes at my gate, so bad were they.

I tried binding soundproofing material round the right front drum (the clear culprit) with wire (the self-adhesive type came apart with the heat of the brakes) then I removed the drum to hacksaw slits into the linings. I duly did the right hand shoe... and then noticed that the left hand shoe's bonded lining had all but come away from the shoe! I could even pull it away by hand. Voila...! It was instantly clear that the shrieking brakes was the loose lining.

A friend (Mike Leisegang) from down the road had a pair of second hand perfectly good shoes in stock - replaced both shoes on the right front - and now my brakes are silent and perfect (Mike set them up for me while we were about it).

Hope this helps somebody, somewhere...

zzlegend 01-05-2016 11:06 AM

Whew,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,a 5 1/2 year old thread, brought back to life. :confused:

johnbuckley 01-05-2016 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeK (Post 53805)

Add to that,....4) encircling drum with Jubilee clips ( do you call them that- worm drive hose clips anyway) use two or more joined together so the drum doesn't get out of balance.

700rpm 01-05-2016 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zzlegend (Post 1218525)
Whew,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,a 5 1/2 year old thread, brought back to life. :confused:

It took that long to get from South California to South Africa, maybe.