The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Late V8 (1954+) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   changing rear main seal on a 223 (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99666)

krwilson5 03-06-2013 09:57 PM

changing rear main seal on a 223

I need some advice on changing the rear main seal in the family 57 wagon. The engine is a 223 six cylinder and it is out of the car at the moment. I assume that it has the old rope seal and I imagine that these can be a bit tricky. I have seen Chinese puzzle like tools to help with the installation/removal, but have no idea if this is the best approach. At least the engine will be upside down instead of me. Any suggestions?

Daves55Sedan 03-07-2013 12:59 AM

Re: changing rear main seal on a 223

Wilson, you oughtta try looking at www.fordsix.com and pick the vintage Ford Six forum in there. Its kinda like this, except that almost everybody in that forum has posts on the 215 and 223 I-block sixes. I am a member there also. My handle there is Daves55Courier

LOWRIDER 03-07-2013 09:38 AM

If the engine is out just loosen all the main caps, pry up on the crankshaft a bit & it should just pull right out. Not sure if they make one for that engine but I would replace it with a two piece neoprene seal. If they don't make one you have to remove the crankshaft to replace the upper rope seal anyway.

Ole Don 03-07-2013 05:26 PM

Find the tool that will allow you to thread a new top seal around without removing the crank. Some instruction say to soak a new seal in oil before installing it. An hour is good, a week is better. That was the seal that still doesnt leak after ten years hard driving and some racing too.

jimvette59 03-07-2013 06:06 PM

If memory serves me there is a tool like a cork screw on a cable that screws into the upper seal and you pull it out. I know there are tools like that to pull packing out of plumbing and pipe fitting. Just a thought.

Y-Blockhead 03-07-2013 06:31 PM

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WMR-W84019/

LOWRIDER 03-08-2013 07:46 AM

Napa Auto has a 2 piece neoprene seal kit. FPG61413 $18. I wouldn't bother installing a rope seal. Crank has to come out to install the top half & unless you have replaced a rope seal before my guess is its going to leak on you.

krwilson5 03-12-2013 08:41 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. They were helpful. I did go to the fordsix.com site. Plenty of good 223 related discussion. I will be spending plenty of time there. The Summit tool is the Chinese puzzle thingy I was talking about. thanks for the link, Y-Blockhead. Thanks also for the NAPA two piece oil seal number, LOWRIDER. The thing is that after checking the motor out, I know I have a leak at the timing cover seal. I'm not so sure that the rear main does leak. it's a tough decision. I'm sealing up the rest of the engine including changing the pan gasket so I'm one step, okay one big step from going ahead and changing the rear main seal, but if it ain't broke, I'm doing a lot of work and taking a chance of making the situation worse. i'm going to think on it a bit. I'll let you know how it works out.

LOWRIDER, do you know if NAPA still sells the timing cover seals with the repair sleeve for the harmonic balance. I think that they used to call it a quick sleeve, or something like that.

LOWRIDER 03-13-2013 12:16 AM

I couldn't find a repair sleeve with NAPA but O'Reilys listed one. The repair sleeve from National 88187, the front cover gasket & seal kit TCS13095-2 & just the seal 350936. As long as you have the engine out you may as well reseal everything. Once you disturb something it may start leaking.

krwilson5 03-14-2013 05:58 PM

Yep, I agree. Thanks for the sleeve and gasket set numbers. I would not have guessed that O'Reilys would carry parts this old. I still have some time before I need to re-install the engine, so I'm going to think a bit more about the rear main, but I will order the seal kit and sleeve right away. Thanks again.

frank long island 03-14-2013 07:05 PM

the new mac's catalog has a kit with the seals most likely off shore parts but they have it