The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Throttle return spring replacement (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=235569)

roh1332 12-16-2017 08:10 PM

Throttle return spring replacement

1 Attachment(s)
Took a bit but found a post that recommended removing floor board to get to the throttle control assembly. Good choice. My question is this, how do you replace the throttle return spring? It appears that everything is fixed. But I’m sure something must come apart to replace the spring. Does anyone know how to disassemble the throttle control assembly to be able to replace the spring?

glenn in camino 12-16-2017 08:22 PM

Re: Throttle return spring replacement

Thread it on and wind it up to tension and slip it on the arm.

Big hammer 12-16-2017 08:33 PM

A real pain, its been awhile, I think stretch and twist it over the obstacle ? Mount in a vice helps, hand you can use both hands.

roh1332 12-16-2017 09:18 PM

Do I ask how to take off the old one?

Don Turley 12-16-2017 09:57 PM

There were several styles of throttle control assemblies. To replace the spring on the style shown in your photo requires that you remove the arm that the spring hooks on. There is a drive pin through the boss on the arm that holds it to the shaft. Once you remove the pin and arm, replace the spring and reassemble. Note, since there is more than one style of throttle control assembly, there is also more than one style of spring. Be sure you purchase the correct spring for your assembly.

1955cj5 12-16-2017 10:04 PM

Bratton's replacement spring comes with a replacement pin as Don mentions...

https://www.brattons.com/28-april-30...pring-pin.html

I have the other style and it uses a different spring...

Neat pickup! Tell us more about it....:)

1955cj5 12-16-2017 10:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by roh1332 (Post 1567110)
Do I ask how to take off the old one?

You already have the floor boards out. You will probably have to remove the linkage assembly...

There are two bolts that pass through the throttle linkage, through the flywheel housing and into the block, accessed from the cab, under the fuel tank.

Be careful when you remove these bolts as there probably are some brass horse shoe shaped shims between the block and flywheel housing. They may fall out...

You will need to replace these shims when reassembling in the same position that they were in originally....

You can see the bolts and the shims in this picture...no throttle linkage yet of course....

roh1332 12-16-2017 10:53 PM

I’m having a hard time finding the pin. How hard is it to remove and how would you remove it? Punch?

1955cj5 12-16-2017 11:06 PM

It must be there...it might have been peened over and would be hard to see. If it's peened you may have to file the end a bit then drive it out with a punch.

Keep track of the orientation of the arms for reassembly....

Go to http://www.fordgarage.com and search throttle linkage...you will find pictures...I can't copy/paste with this laptop...

roh1332 12-16-2017 11:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Would you say the dot in the red circle area?

1955cj5 12-16-2017 11:53 PM

That must be it.....

roh1332 12-17-2017 12:54 AM

I don’t see anything. Even grinded it down and still nothing.

Tom Wesenberg 12-17-2017 01:08 AM

I would have wire brushed it.
Maybe a drop of oil, then heating it will help show the pin.

jhowes 12-17-2017 09:26 AM

I have the mid 30 type that seems to be bent into shape. How on earth do you get it apart, there is no boss with a pin just a bent arm as far as I can tell. Jack

roh1332 12-17-2017 01:44 PM

Tried to twist it over, and all I’m doing is bending the spring.

roh1332 12-18-2017 10:27 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well I found it. Wire brushed made it show. Very lightly. The pin was a softer metal than the throttle assembly. Would not budge with punch and five pound hammer. Drilled small hole through the pin and then it came loose with punch. Thanks again for your help everyone. Very much appreciated. Here’s a few pics if you like to keep for reference. Hopefully this post will help someone in the future. First pic shows the pin after the wire brush. The second is after I got the pin out and removed the arm. And the third is it all back together.

Bruce of MN 12-19-2017 06:07 AM

Good photos, the first one shows the pin well.

Ray in La Mesa 12-19-2017 07:29 AM

Kool, glad to see the result.

Ernie Vitucci 12-19-2017 12:19 PM

Good Morning...If you don't wish to take everything apart, there is a second non stock way to add spring tension. One can mount a small pad eye on the wooden floor board behind the throttle connection at the carburetor and then run a small spring from the hardware store from the pad eye to the throttle connection. This is a $10 repair that I have used a few times. I usually also shoot the original throttle spring with break cleaner and put oil in the two friction bearing holes. This little modification has worked well on several cars as you can adjust the tension by changing the small spring which is only 3 inches + or -. Ernie

charlesatto 04-24-2022 04:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 488507