The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Edison's Model A picture from Gilmore Museum (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105047)

duffer 05-02-2013 04:30 PM

Edison's Model A picture from Gilmore Museum

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the car that i took the A-1 vin from that caused all the commotion...I guess i can be forgiven now. If anyone wants a larger picture i can email it to you.

duffer 05-02-2013 04:32 PM

Re: Edison's Model A picture from Gilmore Museum

The attachments would not let me put my other picture in ...It kept saying "download failed. It was 6.2 MB , 4608 X 3072 pixels...

FL&WVMIKE 05-02-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duffer (Post 643974)
The attachments would not let me put my other picture in ...It kept saying "download failed. It was 6.2 MB , 4608 X 3072 pixels...

duffer ....................
You can not post a photo on Fordbarn, which is more than 800 pixals wide. If you resize it, it will probably work.
MIKE :)

Joe K 05-02-2013 05:40 PM

There has been a lot of discussion regarding Edison's Model A. I don't remember the specifics except to say that the car seemingly was made and re-made by Ford himself to suit Edison or himself on at least two occasions.

Steve P may remember more as he no doubt paid attention to the "type study" aspects of the engine and other parts.

Joe K

duffer 05-02-2013 05:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Maybe this picture will be bigger.

Phil 05-02-2013 05:47 PM

I would to have an email of the picture.

Think I have read Henry built the car as a Pheaton, mr Edison was getting up in years and did not want an open car so ford pulled the body an installed a tudor body. May just be an urbin legend.

duffer 05-02-2013 05:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Last try for size .I'm getting better.

walt jones 05-02-2013 06:36 PM

Just saw this car Tuesday while at the MAFFI Museum to deliver a car. The museum and all of its cars are beautiful.

Mitch//pa 05-02-2013 07:24 PM

http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/v...ps14cf7583.jpg

SkimmerBob 05-02-2013 07:38 PM

Hey Phil I think it was the reverse. Ford gave him a Tudor But Tom liked open cars. so he took it back later & changed the body to what he (Tom) wanted.

Brendan 05-02-2013 08:15 PM

that's kool, where is the Gilmore museum?

callcoy 05-02-2013 08:38 PM

The Museum is northwest of Battle Creek Mich. about a half an hour or northeast of Kalamazoo maybe 15 minutes. About equal distance from Detroit and Chicago, a little longer to Indianapolis. Will be there the May 15th-19th after the the Blue Ridge tour, I live in your town, contact me after I return June 15th and I can give you more details.

Phil 05-02-2013 08:38 PM

Gilmore and the new Model A museum are in Hickory corners, MI.

Yeah, story of my life close but to cookie. Thought it might be a legend anyway.

Phil 05-02-2013 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkimmerBob (Post 644068)
Hey Phil I think it was the reverse. Ford gave him a Tudor But Tom liked open cars. so he took it back later & changed the body to what he (Tom) wanted.

Yep, went back and did my history lesson. Tudor then Phaeton body, my bad. Wonder what happened to the one Will Rogers got?

lookin-backtexas 05-03-2013 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil (Post 644126)
Yep, went back and did my history lesson. Tudor then Phaeton body, my bad. Wonder what happened to the one Will Rogers got?

Phil:
This won't tell what happened to the one Will Rogers got but it's a nice "overview" of what Will Rogers thought about Henry Ford:

Will Rogers on Henry Ford and the Automobile
(comments made before 1935)

"There is more money invested in garages than in schools and churches. 98.5% of the building permits in small towns are for filling stations. Over two-thirds of the unemployed in this country are working in filling stations. If people slept in filling stations instead of just driving by them, it would solve the housing problem of this country.
"There are 300,000 men just pumping gas into cars every minute of the day in America alone...193,000 just fixing punctures...800,000 just looking on, with 750,000 of 'em offering advice - .009% successfully...[There's]187,000 people every minute of the day just cranking the old ones [Model Ts and Model As], 81 with results. There is 43,000 just holding up the hoods of Fords looking at them, 42,598 with the same expression.
"[Henry] Ford made a car that runs with your feet instead of your head and hands. He was smart enough to know more people knew how to use their feet than they do their head or hands. He has made more business for an undertaker than any other one thing, with the exception of Prohibition. Monday moprning after a beautiful sunshiny Sunday finds the undertaker singing at his work.
"He has caused more people to go into debt than for rent or food. He has drove more states, counties, towns, and federal governments into debt than the World War. We owe more for roads than we did to persuade the Germans to 'Please leave Belgium.' Had we no good roads, we would miss all the scandal in the Highway Department. No state ever worries about who will be governor - it's who will be on the highway commission? I care not who writes a nation's songs: give me the highway contracts to deal out and I will show you what hard work, perseverances and taking advantage of your opportunities will do. He has given us our second biggest problem we have today, namely: 'After it's parked (and you come back and get it), how am I going to get home in it through the traffic?' That's why so many people leave 'em parked.
Great educators try to teach poeople, preachers try to change people, but no man produced through the accepted channels has moved the world like Henry Ford. He put wheels on our homes - a man's castle is his sedan; life's greatest catastrophe is a puncture. Americans don't fear the Lord as much as they do the next payment. Everybody is rushing to get somewhere where they have no business being, so they can hurry back again to the place they should never have left. "So good luck, Mr. Ford. It will take a hundred years to tell whether you have helped us or hurt us, but you certainly didn't leave us like you found us."

In fact Will Rogers actually nominated Henry Ford for President on May 31, 1923 in New York City. He said Democrats are the middle of the road party, Republicans are the straddle the road party and dubbed Henry Ford as head of what he called the "All Over The Road" party; his speech said Mr. Ford should win the election since he already carries 2/3rd of the American public and concluded with the remark, "There's no reason there shouldn't be a Ford in the White House, they're everywhere else." Here's the actual 2 minute speech you can listen to from the History Channel:
http://www.history.com/speeches/will...-for-president

duffer 05-03-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brendan (Post 644091)
that's kool, where is the Gilmore museum?

go on google and search gilmore car museum..there are alot of good pictures on there

Ronnie Lawson 05-04-2013 07:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 128733
This is the No. 1

duffer 05-04-2013 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronnie Lawson (Post 644897)
Attachment 128733
This is the No. 1

Same pictures as my earlier post.

Steve Plucker 05-04-2013 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronnie Lawson (Post 644897)
Attachment 128733
This is the No. 1

Are we sure about that?

Just what is the actual LENGTH of the engine number pad in *A1* using the real car it is in?

Please take a photo of the pad with a ruler underneath the pad itself if anyone is going to the museum in the near future.

Pluck

Joe K 05-04-2013 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Plucker (Post 644932)
Are we sure about that?

Just what is the actual LENGTH of the engine number pad in *A1* using the real car it is in?

Please take a photo of the pad with a ruler underneath the pad itself if anyone is going to the museum in the near future.

Pluck

Somewhere, in the judging standards perhaps, they discuss the "type study" of engine number pads. IIRC, the earliest pads were larger, "shield shaped," almost incorporating the water inlet flange, and were set aside early due to changes in the production methods of the engine block?

This apparently all part of the controversy of this supposed "engine No. 1."

I have a replacement engine that came with my truck. It has a "blank" unmolested number pad, very obviously as it left Ford. Maybe I'll stamp it "No. 1?"

Well, there is no law against adding to the confusion?

Kidding, of course.

Joe K