The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Resitor plugs (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242810)

john in illinois 04-17-2018 03:48 PM

Resitor plugs

I can get NGK plugs either resistor or non. Is there any performance reason to use one or the other?

John

Bulligen 04-17-2018 04:14 PM

Re: Resitor plugs

Hi John, I don't think there is any difference except for radio interference. Since we are using non electronic (computer) equipment in our old cars the non- resistor may actually help with the possibility of detonation or misfire at higher RPMs.

drolston 04-17-2018 06:06 PM

Resistor plugs and/or plug wires force the coil to a higher voltage before the plug will fire. The higher voltage may cause the spark to find ground elsewhere, like internal to the distributor or between spark plug wires, causing misfire. For this reason resistor plugs and resistor plug wires are generally to be avoided on a flathead.

deuce_roadster 04-17-2018 09:24 PM

I would (and do) use the non resistor plugs.

Karl 04-18-2018 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deuce_roadster (Post 1619008)
I would (and do) use the non resistor plugs.

Do you have a radio installed ?

john in illinois 04-18-2018 08:57 AM

I do not have a radio or electronics. I thought the increase in resistance might be harder on the distributor insulation. I will use non resistor.
Thanks all

John

supereal 04-18-2018 04:36 PM

Usually no amount of suppression will eliminate noise with an AM radio. Plug wires with non metallic cores often have problems with the end connectors. We use solid core metallic wires and solder the connectors at both ends. If you want radio, there are many places that will convert yours to AM/FM leaving the appearance unchanged. I did that years ago for my '47. There usually isn't anything on AM radio worth listening to, anyway.

tubman 04-18-2018 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supereal (Post 1619282)
Usually no amount of suppression will eliminate noise with an AM radio. Plug wires with non metallic cores often have problems with the end connectors. We use solid core metallic wires and solder the connectors at both ends. If you want radio, there are many places that will convert yours to AM/FM leaving the appearance unchanged. I did that years ago for my '47. There usually isn't anything on AM radio worth listening to, anyway.

Boy, ain't that the truth (unless you speak Spanish or like Farm Reports).

Karl 04-18-2018 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supereal (Post 1619282)

I have screw in resistors which screw into the end of the plug lead and attach directly to the spark plug. Work really well No static at all on AM.
No problems with Am stations here Radio Sport goes out on AM and if my team is not doing well we have a local station that does 50's and 60's music.

I have also modified the radio so that I run by ipod through it . The lovely warm sound of a valve amp plus whatever music I want and cruising down the road with that back round flathead rumble - Heaven! -Karl