The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Vacuum Wiper motor removal (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=296723)

Neshkoro 04-02-2021 08:57 AM

Vacuum Wiper motor removal

My 1930 Model A has a vacuum wiper motor that does not work. It appears that someone removed the vacuum connection to the manifold and installed an air horn. I want to get the wipers working again. I reconnected the vacuum line but it still does not operate. It seems the motor is buried in the header. I started removing the fabric on the header. All I can see under the fabric is the wooden board that makes up the header. There seems to be no access to the motor. Am I missing something or just not digging deep enough? I didn't want to keep removing stuff if I'm not going at it the right way. I have a few Model A repair books but none address the removal of the motor. What are your thoughts?
Thanks for your help!

Stingray70 04-02-2021 09:03 AM

Re: Vacuum Wiper motor removal

The vacuum motor should mount to the OUTSIDE of the window frame. It will be plainly visible. Remove the 2 screws from the inside of the windshield frame.

Stingray70 04-02-2021 09:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It should take 2 minutes with a screwdriver to remove it. ( if you go slowly)

chap52 04-02-2021 10:25 AM

There are kits available to rebuild these units and also reconditioned ones. I rebuilt the one on my 30 Tudor and was not satisfied with the results. But I live in Arizona and rain is not something we generally drive old cars in. It's more of a newsworthy event than a common one.
Like said, two screws it's off. there is a solid vac line that runs to the top of the windshield and is attached to the ww unit by a short line/hose. Chap

Neshkoro 04-02-2021 12:27 PM

I agree that the motor is mounted on the outside of the windshield. The 2 mounting screws come from the inside of the car to mount the motor. I need to look again. It seems the screws aren't visible from the inside of the car. When sitting in the driver's seat, I do not see the screw heads. Do I need to tip the windshield up to access those screws? I live in Illinois and the car is stored in Wisconsin. I won't be up there until next week when I can take a look. I must be missing something obvious.

Bob C 04-02-2021 12:57 PM

You need to open the windshield to see the screws.

JayJay 04-02-2021 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neshkoro (Post 2003049)
I agree that the motor is mounted on the outside of the windshield. The 2 mounting screws come from the inside of the car to mount the motor. I need to look again. It seems the screws aren't visible from the inside of the car. When sitting in the driver's seat, I do not see the screw heads. Do I need to tip the windshield up to access those screws? I live in Illinois and the car is stored in Wisconsin. I won't be up there until next week when I can take a look. I must be missing something obvious.

Yes, you need to push the windshield open. At the far end of the sliders, then lock in place with the hand nuts. You will be able to get to the screw heads with the windshield fully open.

JayJay

Neshkoro 04-02-2021 05:58 PM

OK, then. Thanks. It was perplexing me! Now I got it. This is a great site. many helpers for us newbies!

Neshkoro 04-10-2021 10:53 AM

OK, I removed the wiper motor as you guys suggested from the open windshield. That was easy. It's really difficult to rotate the arm by hand.
Time to disassemble and rebuild!
My question is Who designed those screw heads on those screws that hold the wiper motor together?!?!?
Henry Ford must have been mad at his wife that day!

GRutter 04-10-2021 12:06 PM

Original Trico screws. The parts vendors such as Snyders and Brattons offer an inexpensive tool that fits those. Otherwise needlenose pliers have always worked for me.

Neshkoro 04-10-2021 03:05 PM

I’ll check both sources. Are those the sources you usually use for parts?

Stew Masche 04-11-2021 02:43 AM

They are both great sources for parts. When you get the wiper open, you may find the paddle that travels back and forth in the housing is dried out. That has happened to me more than once. If you saturate the paddle wit oil, so that it swells a bit, you may not have to do anything more with it, it’s worth a shot.

Neshkoro 04-12-2021 08:25 AM

Good thought Stew. Thanks

jetmek 04-12-2021 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stew Masche (Post 2005927)
They are both great sources for parts. When you get the wiper open, you may find the paddle that travels back and forth in the housing is dried out. That has happened to me more than once. If you saturate the paddle wit oil, so that it swells a bit, you may not have to do anything more with it, it’s worth a shot.

With any luck .... worst case the pot metal is blistering

Neshkoro 04-14-2021 08:11 AM

I just finished disassembling, cleaning and installing all the rebuild parts. Next step is testing. That'll be a couple of weeks until I can get to the testing.

Neshkoro 04-19-2021 01:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys,
I need this part for a vacuum wiper motor.
It's the Rocker, home. The fiber piece that the spring attaches to.

Attachment 461560

I hope you can view this jpg.
Thanks