The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Fs ignitions (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293302)

jerbo 01-20-2021 11:59 PM

Fs ignitions

Does anyone have experience with this electronic ignition kit? In either 6v or 12v? Thanks, Jerbo

rfitzpatrick 01-21-2021 07:40 AM

Re: Fs ignitions

YES, it can be purchased as either!! I just love it, the FS People are great too !

fast150 01-21-2021 08:26 AM

I run an FS ignition and really like it. When i called to order it, they asked a lot of questions about my engine to make sure I got the right advance set up. They even sent along another set of springs in case I wanted to experiment with them. I have had absolutely no problem with it. I do carry an extra module in the car just to be safe.

denis4x4 01-21-2021 10:02 AM

Been running them for 35 years on hot rods, boats, classics and Model A's. Follow the directions when you install it.

31Tudor 01-21-2021 11:51 AM

First time in 50 years of Model A'ing I ever came home on a roll back, was when my electronic ignition failed. I hate them. lol

CarlG 01-21-2021 01:59 PM

My FSI Zipper failed after 5K miles. Even though FSI replaced it, and I have a spare module, I'm not so inclined to put it back in. I have a borrowed stock dizzy in now and it has worked perfectly for 8K miles and still going strong. Hesitant to fix what ain't broke.

AL in NY 01-21-2021 03:01 PM

Never had a problem with the electronic ignition from FS in 20,000 miles. Be sure to follow the directions to the letter. You'll need to run a dedicated ground wire from the distributor plate to the battery ground terminal. A lot of the failures occur because people short cut this detail.

GPierce 01-21-2021 03:37 PM

Lots of information on FS here: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ht=Fs-ignition

nkaminar 01-21-2021 04:00 PM

Results may vary. The computer controlled electronic distributor on my Toyota works perfectly. My Model A came with the FS ignition. It may have been that the distributor was not set up correctly, but the stock distributor I replaced it with works a lot better. With the stock distributor there is no hesitation or carburetor wheezing when starting out from a stop. The engine starts easier. Plus, I just like the looks of the stock distributor and the fact that I can manually adjust the spark advance.

duke36 01-22-2021 12:16 PM

I had the 12 v FS zipper which was good except on hills with a H.C. head.; it wouldn't retard enough to prevent knocking. Some owners modify the internals to be able to rotate the dizzy assembly or change out the internal springs. The zipper is not pinned to the head. I removed it , and like others prefer the stock factory setup.

denis4x4 01-22-2021 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duke36 (Post 1976788)
I had the 12 v FS zipper which was good except on hills with a H.C. head.; it wouldn't retard enough to prevent knocking. Some owners modify the internals to be able to rotate the dizzy assembly or change out the internal springs. The zipper is not pinned to the head. I removed it , and like others prefer the stock factory setup.

I've had similar issues with the FS distributor that were quickly solved by using different spring rates to play with the advance and retard features of the unit. I have these distributors on both A's and I've tweeked the springs on both of them.

I fully understand those that want to keep their A's just as they came off the assembly line. By the same token bad mouthing an aftermarket product based on a single usage is not always right. As I've posted, been running Per-Lux Ignitors, Petronix Ignitions and FS ignitions (all the same thing) for 35 years and the only failure was caused by me not following directions. Latest installation was a year ago on my '76 Jaguar XJ6c and it runs great. Too, if you're not running the proper coil, you're asking for trouble.

GRutter 01-23-2021 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlG (Post 1976489)
I have a borrowed stock dizzy in now and it has worked perfectly for 8K miles and still going strong.

This made me smile. You have good friends :)

Dick M 01-24-2021 12:14 PM

I know many folks who run the FS ignition. They are always happy with the FS until they fail on a tour. Most Model Aers are not familiar with the FS system and are of no help when a FS failure occurs. However, with the stock dissy, most people can be of help during a breakdown. I run a stock dissy with a timed spare dissy under the seat. I had a condenser fail on my way to the 2018 MAFCA convention. Swapped the dissy and was back on the road in five minutes. I replaced the condenser when I came home. The stock dissy with a spare dissy is a fool proof system... JMHO

BRENT in 10-uh-C 01-24-2021 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerbo (Post 1976311)
Does anyone have experience with this electronic ignition kit? In either 6v or 12v? Thanks, Jerbo

Can I ask the question 'why' you are looking at an electronic ignition kit? What is it you are trying to accomplish?? I am not saying you are wrong, ...just asking why.

AL in NY 01-24-2021 12:28 PM

Dick M: so is the FS with a spare module.

Jack Shaft 01-24-2021 01:26 PM

The biggest reason for the Petronix is adaptive dwell, the hall effect impulse is modulated to provide consistent coil soak.

Many model A owners don't realize the ground path Ford used to complete the circuit was through the engine pans. Once removed, chassis grounding becomes dependent on connections not designed for it, like the drive shaft trunnion and front engine mount. Running a dedicated ground strap to the transmission provides the path needed, without it the petronix will burn..the rest of your electrical system will last longer and function better as well.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 01-25-2021 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Shaft (Post 1977542)
The biggest reason for the Petronix is adaptive dwell, the hall effect impulse is modulated to provide consistent coil soak.

John, but what do you feel is the advantage on a typical Model-A/B touring engine? The coil 'soak time' after reaching 100% capacity does not allow the coil to produce a "more intense" spark, -or a hotter spark. With a Kettering-type ignition points set-up and a Stipe distributor cam, it has been proven that the saturation time will reach 100% of the typically used coil's capacity, so are you suggesting the FS will allow that coil to produce a hotter spark because it can do it (-come to full saturation) quicker?

Also, with that said, how 'hot' (-i.e.: intense) does the spark need to be to ignite a low compression mixture at relatively slow RPMs (-under 3,000 rpm)?? Does a 44,000 volt coil provide a performance advantage over a 30,000 volt coil if both coils provide the fuel mixture to be burned completely??

It is my opinion that with better quality points, condensers, and the improved Stipe ignition cam available to us today, ...and used in a stock distributor, in reality, the electronically controlled Ignitor really doesn't add any more horsepower or provide any performance gain. Does your experiences counter this??

Jack Shaft 01-25-2021 06:52 PM

Negative,a properly maintained Kettering system works as well. My basis is the electronic system does the maintenance for me. Consistent operation of the ignition system also extends the life of components.

As for relevance I'm splitting hairs,performance,especially with manual spark advance, lies purely with the operator.

Jordan 01-26-2021 09:52 AM

Love my FS distributor. Wouldn't be caught without it. We have them in all the cars and they work flawlessly. They fail when they aren't set up correctly. I carry a spare module for emergencies but in 40,000 miles on my sedan that's had it the longest, i've never needed it.