The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   6v Alternator (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287723)

DBSHELTON 09-24-2020 09:10 PM

6v Alternator

I converted a GM alternator to 6v positive ground with a kit. Installed it on my 29 Tudor. You have to rev the engine to excite it to charge. Is this common?

Bill G 09-24-2020 09:15 PM

Re: 6v Alternator

That's the way mine works.

alexiskai 09-24-2020 09:27 PM

Mine too, that's normal. You can rev it when you start up, or you can just let the car run off battery for the first few minutes until it kicks in on its own.

Mike Peters 09-24-2020 09:27 PM

ditto.

McMimmcs 09-24-2020 09:39 PM

I think that Is the way they have to be excited to start, Certainly no big deal once you realize what you have to do. It becomes instinct! .

DBSHELTON 09-25-2020 04:50 AM

Thanks, I figured that was the case, just wanted other opinions. The alternator in my other Model A seems to have a lower cut-in point but that may be due to the little-bit smaller pulley.

MrBruce 09-25-2020 06:49 AM

You can buy the smaller pulley from most Model A vendors and it will kick in quicker.

DBSHELTON 09-25-2020 07:21 AM

I have the one available at the Model A parts dealers, but the one on my other alternator is even smaller.

Jim/GA 09-25-2020 08:43 AM

When you use the small diameter pulleys on an alternator, you will get better belt grip on the pulley, without a lot of belt tension, if you use a fan belt with the little V-notches in it on the inside surface.

Example:

https://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/gat...v-belt-1-top-r

The exact belt you get will depend on the circumference you need for your engine setup. I don't want to quote a belt number and have it be wrong for your car. Work with your parts supplier.

Bob Bidonde 09-25-2020 09:32 AM

The alternator needs a small current flow through its field windings to start. The starting current in a modern car occurs when the charging light goes on as the car is started. I have an alternator in my Coupe that does not self start and requires revving the engine. To the contrary, I have a Nu Rex alternator in my Victoria that self starts. So there is a way of making your alternator self start, but I am not sure to do this.

DBSHELTON 09-25-2020 10:17 AM

I know you can ground the #1 terminal on it momentarily and it will start charging.

VinceBlack 09-25-2020 11:12 AM

You can add an exciter wire to the 2wire plug-in, no.1 is excite term no.2 is voltage sense. Add a wire to no. 1 run into cab, by momentarily ground wire alt will start charging. Or you can add a resistor inside of alt to help turn on faster. There are several ways that will help.

Y-Blockhead 09-25-2020 11:28 AM

Best I have found is to not worry about it. I just drive slowly up the street and by the time evrything is starting to warm up it is showing a charge.

I now have a PowerGen and it does not have that non-issue. It charges right from the get-go.

rfitzpatrick 09-26-2020 10:00 AM

And I thought it was notched for cooling !!
You ever consider writing a book -- for those's of less common sence, such as myself?

Example:

The exact belt you get will depend on the circumference you need for your engine setup. I don't want to quote a belt number and have it be wrong for your car. Work with your parts supplier.

.[/QUOTE]

Jim/GA 09-26-2020 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfitzpatrick (Post 1935441)
And I thought it was notched for cooling !!
You ever consider writing a book -- for those of less common sense, such as myself?

I'm glad you find my little tips helpful.

I do not plan to write a book. I have been writing "Jim's Tech Tips" monthly for MAFCA for a couple of years now. They include it in a monthly email blast that they send to Members, and in another monthly blast to all of the Chapter newsletter editors, for clubs to put in their newsletters.

If you want to get the email blast each month, send your email address to modelagarth (at) yahoo (dot) com

DBSHELTON 10-12-2020 02:46 PM

I went ahead and installed a momentary switch to ground on the #1 terminal. Now one touch and it is charging. Makes me feel better anyway.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 10-13-2020 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBSHELTON (Post 1940897)
I went ahead and installed a momentary switch to ground on the #1 terminal. Now one touch and it is charging. Makes me feel better anyway.

So on a similar note, what do you do about the self-exciting regulator that constantly has a parasitic draw on the battery?

Mulletwagon 10-13-2020 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim/GA (Post 1935088)
When you use the small diameter pulleys on an alternator, you will get better belt grip on the pulley, without a lot of belt tension, if you use a fan belt with the little V-notches in it on the inside surface.

Example:

Yep, that would be your BX40 or slightly larger BX41. This is known as a cogged belt.

DBSHELTON 10-13-2020 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C (Post 1941213)
So on a similar note, what do you do about the self-exciting regulator that constantly has a parasitic draw on the battery?

Beats me!

Synchro909 10-13-2020 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C (Post 1941213)

I use an isolating switch on the earth side of the battery. There can be no parasitic draw if the battery is not connected.