The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Oil pressure on my 50 Ford (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29236)

Old Redneck 02-18-2011 08:02 AM

Oil pressure on my 50 Ford

When I got my 50 Ford it had a modern oil pressure switch which showed full pressure all the time and I knew that was incorrect. I got a correct oil pressure switch and installed it.Big difference in oil pressure.About 10 pounds at idle and almost 30 pounds when driving down the road.Wish it was more it a bit scary.My 33 is like that and at idle not much oil pressure but driving down the road the pressure goes up a bit more.Are most flatheads like that?I got to road test the 50 yesterday and sure did enjoy that.It had not been started since Oct. A little over 5 months I guess. Had to prime it with a shot of gas and it fired right up. I got a electric fuel pump to install for a backup. I know some of you don't like that but I have it for a backup I do tour a lot.I sure am looking forward to summer.Any of you out yesterday for a roadtest? Sure hope so.

40cpe 02-18-2011 08:47 AM

Re: Oil pressure on my 50 Ford

Hi Ken, it was a nice cay here in Mississippi yesterday, too. A 76 degree, sunny day felt good after the unusually cold spell we've had. I didn't get the old car out but will before the week-end is over.

19Fordy 02-18-2011 09:22 AM

I don't think flatty's were ever noted for their high oil presssure. Your's sounds good. Nothing to worry about, IMO.

flathead4rd 02-18-2011 09:45 AM

10 pounds at idle? Sounds good to me.

Cecil/WV 02-18-2011 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redneck (Post 163034)
When I got my 50 Ford it had a modern oil pressure switch which showed full pressure all the time and I knew that was incorrect. I got a correct oil pressure switch and installed it.Big difference in oil pressure.About 10 pounds at idle and almost 30 pounds when driving down the road.Wish it was more it a bit scary.My 33 is like that and at idle not much oil pressure but driving down the road the pressure goes up a bit more.Are most flatheads like that?I got to road test the 50 yesterday and sure did enjoy that.It had not been started since Oct. A little over 5 months I guess. Had to prime it with a shot of gas and it fired right up. I got a electric fuel pump to install for a backup. I know some of you don't like that but I have it for a backup I do tour a lot.I sure am looking forward to summer.Any of you out yesterday for a roadtest? Sure hope so.

Redneck, I had my '50 out this morning for a while. I now have over 80 miles on my engine rebuild and all is OK.

OldIron 02-18-2011 01:25 PM

The 50 coupe in my picture is an original (other than wheels & tires) with 15,000 miles. It runs about 35 lbs. at speed and 15 lbs. at idle so your pressures sound good to me. I once drove a 36 that had 15 lbs at speed and about 2 lbs at idle. It scared the heck out of me but it never let me down. Our first run, here in the Pacific Northwest, is tomorrow and it's actually supposed to be sunny.

ford1 02-18-2011 04:14 PM

ford says #30 at 30mph, if you have any oil pressure at idle your lucky, ford doesnt even give a number for oil pressure at idle, your good to go, so just drive and enjoy it

Old Redneck 02-18-2011 05:57 PM

Thank you all for the information on oil pressure

Now I feel better about the oil pressure,

Jack E/NJ 02-18-2011 06:05 PM

Well, Redneck, mine hot idles at 20psi & 40psi at speed with 5W-20. So, how do you feel now? 8^)

Jack E/NJ

Cecil/WV 02-19-2011 08:01 AM

My '50, that lost a piston in Oct in KS., ran before and after the rebuild at the pressure of Rednecks, and it showed no visible wear on the main bearings with 82000 miles and minimal on the rods, It is back together with the original standard crank , so I guess we can be comfortable with 30# pressure.

Joe AZ 02-19-2011 10:40 AM

I had a '46 pickup with a 59AB that showed 0 pounds of pressure at idle, but ran great. Sold the truck and it's still going today.
Joe