The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   12 Volt generator with an original Pulley and fan!! (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=264420)

Newc 06-04-2019 07:11 PM

12 Volt generator with an original Pulley and fan!!

2 Attachment(s)
Hi all; this set up is on the cpe I just bought and it puzzled everyone. A 'Modern' Aluminum case generator with the original flathead Generator pulley and fan? Works great and looks right in a custom mount, uses the correct flathead single belt even. Can you figure it out from the photo?? Hint- it's German!! Look at the shaft protruding from the rear of the generator... for a FAN. Seems that someone got the Ford pulley to fit a VW generator... and to work right it takes a VW regulator. Arm, Field, and Batt are all there easy -peezy. What do you think of this fellows???

texas webb 06-04-2019 08:54 PM

Re: 12 Volt generator with an original Pulley and fan!!

Good info.

WABOOM 06-04-2019 10:58 PM

Personally I would buy the Powermaster alternator. Why stay with a generator that isn't correct? IMO the Powermaster looks more correct and is more pleasing to the eye.
I don't love the placement of the VW wires, hate the angle iron, and I would have painted the unit black immediately.
Sorry if it sounds like I'm ripping on it. You gotta do what you gotta do. Hell, I just put a Chinese aluminum radiator in my bone stock '51 Mercury. (I did paint it low gloss black though).

flatford8 06-05-2019 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newc (Post 1764429)
Hi all; this set up is on the cpe I just bought and it puzzled everyone. A 'Modern' Aluminum case generator with the original flathead Generator pulley and fan? Works great and looks right in a custom mount, uses the correct flathead single belt even. Can you figure it out from the photo?? Hint- it's German!! Look at the shaft protruding from the rear of the generator... for a FAN. Seems that someone got the Ford pulley to fit a VW generator... and to work right it takes a VW regulator. Arm, Field, and Batt are all there easy -peezy. What do you think of this fellows???

That’s “Hot Rod Engineering” right there!!!!.....what you have on hand is what you have to make work....I like it!!!.....although I would find something that fits to be able to carry a spare....not sure how long the bearings will last with the fan....nice car!!!....Mark

flatheadmurre 06-05-2019 04:54 AM

The vw has a fan in one end and a pulley in the other original so should have a fair chance to survive from the fan load...
Downside is they are only 30A...less then if you use the later ford generators.

skidmarks 06-05-2019 07:29 AM

56 and up generator and the 39 pulley for the 5/8 shaft. Use a 8ba saddle and relocate the index pin. Then it's all early ford

Or use 12v feilds