The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Block drain for 8RT (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166141)

russcc 04-11-2015 08:49 AM

Block drain for 8RT
 

Anyone drilled and tapped the later 8BA type blocks for a block drain. The 59L has one right where it should be, at front low point. The 8RT has none.
I assume you could probably drill out the 8BA at the same point for a drain.
Or will the drain hole in the water pump get most of the water out of an 8RT. ? Thank you Fordbarners.

42merc 04-11-2015 09:15 AM

Re: Block drain for 8RT
 

I have drilled & tapped the 8BAs for drain cocks.
Really not needed as you can see, water pumps are low enough to drain OK.

Art Maurice 04-11-2015 03:01 PM

Re: Block drain for 8RT
 

I have a 8CM in a 33 Ford would like to drain coolant without removing bottom hoses? :)

russcc 04-11-2015 06:10 PM

Re: Block drain for 8RT
 

Thank you. That's what I thought about the water pump holes, but it is impossible to get the bottom hoses off in a tight '29 A roadster without removing the radiator. Good to hear drilling & tapping the block works.

Ross F-1 04-11-2015 06:20 PM

Re: Block drain for 8RT
 

The back of the engine is usually the low point, all the crap settles back there. I've seen where people drilled and tapped back there, but the metal isn't real thick there.

Ronnieroadster 04-11-2015 06:26 PM

Re: Block drain for 8RT
 

The 8BA flathead block WILL NOT drain completely even with the lower radiater hose removed. I always drill and tap the 8BA blocks in the same location as the drian on the early blocks. Theres a nice flat area on each side of the block thats the perfect location to add the drain plug.

Alaska Jim 04-11-2015 11:44 PM

Re: Block drain for 8RT
 

As Ronnie stated, there is a good flat spot on both sides of the block at the front. I drilled and tapped both sides and installed drain cocks for the eng. in my 51 merc., and the eng. for my 29 roadster project. I did this so I did not have to remove hoses to drain cooling system, in case cooling system maintenance. ( heater hoses, heater control valve, t-stats, even head gaskets.) I did it mostly to be able to completely drain and change out the anti-freeze every couple of years. I will say that it is best done with the eng out of the vehicle. may not be possible in the vehicle

ChuckD 07-12-2020 06:20 PM

Re: Block drain for 8RT
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alaska Jim (Post 1067496)
As Ronnie stated, there is a good flat spot on both sides of the block at the front. I drilled and tapped both sides and installed drain cocks for the eng. in my 51 merc., and the eng. for my 29 roadster project. I did this so I did not have to remove hoses to drain cooling system, in case cooling system maintenance. ( heater hoses, heater control valve, t-stats, even head gaskets.) I did it mostly to be able to completely drain and change out the anti-freeze every couple of years. I will say that it is best done with the eng out of the vehicle. may not be possible in the vehicle

Why can't you drill the radiator and braise a nut for a petcock. Isn't that how radiators are tapped? Where "exactly" is the best place to drill and tap the block? I have a '50 8CM and would like to see a photo or an 8BA photo.

russcc 07-12-2020 06:56 PM

Re: Block drain for 8RT
 

The bottom of the radiator might be good idea also, if there is spot like the '40 if I recall.

paul2748 07-12-2020 07:33 PM

Re: Block drain for 8RT
 

1 Attachment(s)
I have found this drain valve better than the old butterfly type. Available at boat stores or on ebay

ChuckD 07-12-2020 07:59 PM

Re: Block drain for 8RT
 

Thanks, RUSSCC. Would you have a photo of that '40 spot on the block? Or would you try the radiator idea? I'm pretty new at this so you guys opinions really matter. Thanks again.

ChuckD 07-12-2020 08:01 PM

Re: Block drain for 8RT
 

Thanks Paul2748. Would happen to have a photo of the spot where you installed it? I'm pretty new at this and you guys opinion really matters. Thanks again.

JSeery 07-12-2020 09:38 PM

Re: Block drain for 8RT
 

As Ronnie pointed out, a drain on the radiator is still not going to totally drain the block.

flatjack9 07-12-2020 09:44 PM

Re: Block drain for 8RT
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by russcc (Post 1067190)
Anyone drilled and tapped the later 8BA type blocks for a block drain. The 59L has one right where it should be, at front low point. The 8RT has none.
I assume you could probably drill out the 8BA at the same point for a drain.
Or will the drain hole in the water pump get most of the water out of an 8RT. ? Thank you Fordbarners.

It is not unusual for that drain hole to get clogged so the water will not drain properly.

Tim Ayers 07-13-2020 07:20 AM

Re: Block drain for 8RT
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckD (Post 1908570)
Thanks Paul2748. Would happen to have a photo of the spot where you installed it? I'm pretty new at this and you guys opinion really matters. Thanks again.

I'll try to get a pict, but if you look at your block, on the bottom side front behind the water pumps, there is a flat spot cast into the block. That is the spot where the 59-series blocks have tapped holes for drains.

Is kind of rounds out a bit like a semi-circle with a flat top.

flatrod 07-13-2020 09:46 AM

Re: Block drain for 8RT
 

1 Attachment(s)
Here is Jim's 29 roadster project block with the drain hole at the front flat spot.

Tim Ayers 07-13-2020 10:22 AM

Re: Block drain for 8RT
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by flatrod (Post 1908693)
Here is Jim's 29 roadster project block with the drain hole at the front flat spot.

Wow! Looks great.

grumppyoldman 07-13-2020 12:58 PM

Re: Block drain for 8RT
 

That's one hell of a center bearing cap. Al

paul2748 07-13-2020 07:36 PM

Re: Block drain for 8RT
 

On the flathead that I had, I did not use it. I am using

it on my Y Block cars, including the radiator


Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckD (Post 1908570)
Thanks Paul2748. Would happen to have a photo of the spot where you installed it? I'm pretty new at this and you guys opinion really matters. Thanks again.


ChuckD 07-21-2020 09:58 AM

Re: Block drain for 8RT
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by flatrod (Post 1908693)
Here is Jim's 29 roadster project block with the drain hole at the front flat spot.

Thanks a bunch flatrod. That's the pic I needed. I'm going to check it now.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.