The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   6 volt battery trickle charger & charger? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291774)

jerbo 12-18-2020 03:02 PM

6 volt battery trickle charger & charger?

6 VOLT BATTERY TRICKLE CHARGER & CHARGER?
Anyone have experience with "AUTOMATIC FLOAT CHARGER: Fully automatic, provides a charge when needed, stops charging when battery is fully-charged or topped-off. Built-in circuit protection guards against overcharging, reverse polarity or short circuit. Rated Output Voltage: 6V&12V DC ,750mA. Suitable to charge batteries from 2 to 30Ah, maintain up to 220Ah."

I see it on E-bay, item # 381717504821, $20.50.
If anyone knows how good/bad this is, or if you have another that really works well with an ammeter, please let me know brand, model # and details.
Thanks for looking, Jerbo

Kurt in NJ 12-18-2020 03:43 PM

Re: 6 volt battery trickle charger & charger?

I don't know about that charger but some that I have looked at don't have the voltage regulation on 6 v---- the link comes up as a phone number for me

California Travieso 12-18-2020 03:44 PM

I bought a couple of cheap $20 “battery maintainers” at Walmart and they didn’t work. I left one on over night and the next morning there was an acid smell in the garage. I suspect it didn’t turn off when the battery was fully charged and boiled the battery fluid.

I prefer the Detran Battery Tender (www.batterytender.com). I have a 6 volt model That the previous owner gave me when I bought my Roadster. I recently bought a dual 6V/12V Battery Tender at Costco for $40 so I can use it on my modern cars as well as my Model A. Both models work very well. I plan to buy the model that that maintains two cars at one time. We have four cars and due to the Pandemic they tend to sit for long periods of time.

David Serrano

alexiskai 12-18-2020 03:53 PM

For $20 you should get more than 750mA, if you ask me. I'm a fan of the Mroinge dual-voltage smart chargers, but at the moment a lot of places seem to be out of stock in them.

Aretino 12-18-2020 04:06 PM

NOCO Genius G750 6V/12V 750mA Battery Charger

Oldgearz 12-18-2020 04:47 PM

As mentioned, the Detran Battery Tender (6V) works great. I use them on all my 6 Volt tractors.....never had a problem with over-charging, but I did have one that quit working. Search them on line. Should be able to get one right now for around 35$.

nkaminar 12-18-2020 05:28 PM

I think you want a battery maintainer. Sulfate crystals are formed in the battery over time and will not convert to sulfuric acid when the battery is charged. More sulfate crystals are formed when the battery is left not fully charged. The sulfate crystals will reduce the battery capacity. A battery maintainer will send a series of high frequency, high voltage spikes into the battery that converts the sulfate crystals to the amorphic form that will convert to sulfuric acid. Search for a 6 volt battery maintainer that has this feature.

A battery can quickly be ruined if over charged, allowing the acid to boil out.

shew01 12-18-2020 07:14 PM

This is what I use on my 6 volt positive ground car, and it works great. The guy I bought the car from let it go with the car. (He was also the person who restored the car—he is retired now, but he previously restored cars as a business.)

BLACK+DECKER BM3B Fully Automatic... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051D3MP6...p_mob_ap_share

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ModelAMike1930 12-19-2020 09:22 AM

We use deltran battery tenders on 3 of the six cars in my household. They have been working good for years.

Badpuppy 12-19-2020 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shew01 (Post 1964323)
This is what I use on my 6 volt positive ground car, and it works great. The guy I bought the car from let it go with the car. (He was also the person who restored the car—he is retired now, but he previously restored cars as a business.)

BLACK+DECKER BM3B Fully Automatic... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051D3MP6...p_mob_ap_share

Same one(s) I've used for a couple years now. 6V on '30 coupe, another (12V AGM) on '99 Mercedes SLK. No problems.

shew01 12-19-2020 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badpuppy (Post 1964465)
Same one(s) I've used for a couple years now. 6V on '30 coupe, another (12V AGM) on '99 Mercedes SLK. No problems.

It seems pretty durable too. Let’s just say I know “someone” who forgot to disconnect one before driving out of the garage a while back. It sailed through the air before landing on concrete, but it still worked fine.

I bought one for my 12 volt 1965 Mustang as well.

kawagumby 12-19-2020 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ModelAMike1930 (Post 1964446)
We use deltran battery tenders on 3 of the six cars in my household. They have been working good for years.

Me too. I use them for keeping generator batteries charged, motorcycle batteries charged (they make a model that charges both acid and lithium ion), travel trailer battery charged, and now my model A 6v. Only had one fail in over a decade of a dozen or so units.

heDONist 12-19-2020 01:49 PM

I use on my car and have had no problems, but my cars 6 volt battery is not maintainance free, the electorate level has to be checked regularly.

TerryO 12-20-2020 10:24 AM

[QUOTE=shew01;1964323]This is what I use on my 6 volt positive ground car, and it works great. The guy I bought the car from let it go with the car. (He was also the person who restored the car—he is retired now, but he previously restored cars as a business.)

I had one of those until my son discovered it, now I use a duracell 6/12 volt charger/maintainer. I have been well pleased with both although I don't like to leave any charger plugged up overnight...

TOB

Chuck Sea/Tac 12-20-2020 07:33 PM

I’ve had good luck with Schumacher brand. Have two. One is manual switch between voltages, and the other is automatic.