The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   21 inch rim repair (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238312)

Great Lakes Greg 01-31-2018 02:00 PM

21 inch rim repair

I was trying to salvage a straight 21" wheel with pin holes in the inner rim, but kept blowing holes through it, even with my welder turned way down. I can JB weld it after my powder coat guy is done, but media blasting will likely deposit a lot of material inside that rim. How do you guys fix pin holes and thin metal on these wheels? 21's are not as plentiful as they once were, and I would like to save the ones I find with this issue.

burner31 01-31-2018 02:09 PM

Re: 21 inch rim repair

That's a good question and a tricky safety issue, considering thin metal on a wheel rim.

Purdy Swoft 01-31-2018 02:38 PM

A person that is experienced at gas welding probably wouldn't have that much of a problem . Gas welding seems to almost be a lost art .

SeaSlugs 01-31-2018 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burner31 (Post 1586667)
That's a good question and a tricky safety issue, considering thin metal on a wheel rim.

Yup - ive got 5 that happened to on my AA rims and they are doomed for the scrap pile - not taking any chances on a rolling grenade...Im saving them if someone wants to weld the centers to some other hoops or needs something to roll around the garage/barn with.

if its that thin a low power welder is blowing thru the whole wheel is compromised. Id hate to have you fold a rim going around a corner or something. Rims are still out there - just have to travel farther.

juke joint johnny 01-31-2018 03:05 PM

I've had good luck Tig welding them

Jw 01-31-2018 05:04 PM

tig, mig, stick, braze brass, soft solder, be care full using soft solder, I soft soldered my heat exchangers on my Porsche and then had them powder coated, the heat from the powder coater melted off my soft solder heat exchanger repair, the wheel are very easy to fix.

BILL WILLIAMSON 01-31-2018 05:55 PM

Take out a LOAN & buy NEW wheels!
Bill Safe

Great Lakes Greg 01-31-2018 08:52 PM

A loan indeed. I'm too cheap for that. Regarding safety, I think the wheel in question was in one position for a very long time, as the two or three pin holes are concentrated in a four inch span. The metal around the holes is good and thick, but it takes a lot of weld filling to reach the good "meat'. All total, I don't think a pencil would fit in the holes that opened up.

briphaeton 01-31-2018 09:16 PM

I agree with Bill, Buy another rim, I repaired a similar rim and it spit in half while on a tour. Luckily we were going slow and didn't get hurt or have any car damaged. I still have it and should post a picture so know body else makes the same mistake.

briphaeton 01-31-2018 09:20 PM

I intended it to be used as only a spare but ended up on the car. I hit a pot hole and that was the end of it. I was very lucky.

Slowplane 02-01-2018 11:02 AM

just sold 4 roadworthy 21's at Turlock, $70.

BILL WILLIAMSON 02-01-2018 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Lakes Greg (Post 1586899)
A loan indeed. I'm too cheap for that. Regarding safety, I think the wheel in question was in one position for a very long time, as the two or three pin holes are concentrated in a four inch span. The metal around the holes is good and thick, but it takes a lot of weld filling to reach the good "meat'. All total, I don't think a pencil would fit in the holes that opened up.

Greg,
If you need MONEY, call my Dog:cool: @ 1-800-DOG-HELP:D:D
Bill Nuts

rocket1 02-01-2018 04:28 PM

I would not use those wheels,if you had those dipped you would wind up with swiss cheese!

updraught 02-01-2018 10:30 PM

It would be REALLY good if Coker were to make a wheel with a 4 inch rim.

These could be sold with the radials to suit.

A guy making rims here went out of business several years ago.
To get 4 inch rims from the UK ... bought in pounds, with shipping and mounting on a wheel center is too expensive.

katy 02-02-2018 10:39 AM

Try backing it up w/a big piece of copper, or maybe brass.

Ron in Quincy 02-02-2018 08:18 PM

In past years, to get the loose rust out of the beads on 21" wheels, I drilled 4 1/4" holes on the inside of the bead at a equal distance; I then inserted a small cable and attached the end to a drill so I could knock any rust loose. I then worked all the loose rust out. I did not fill the 4 holes as they would not be seen when the tires were mounted; then had the wheels powder coated. Never had a problem with the wheels.

Ron

SeaSlugs 02-03-2018 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron in Quincy (Post 1587811)
In past years, to get the loose rust out of the beads on 21" wheels, I drilled 4 1/4" holes on the inside of the bead at a equal distance; I then inserted a small cable and attached the end to a drill so I could knock any rust loose. I then worked all the loose rust out. I did not fill the 4 holes as they would not be seen when the tires were mounted; then had the wheels powder coated. Never had a problem with the wheels.

Ron

Wouldnt they fill up with water and dust causing more rust?

Ron in Quincy 02-04-2018 01:26 AM

How can water get to holes on the inside of the bead when the Tire seals to the inside of the bead ?

Ron