The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Taillight bulbs (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=288707)

oldsman41 10-15-2020 04:09 PM

Taillight bulbs

Has anyone converted their taillights to dual filament bulbs for turn signals,did you use the socket from macs and was it a gigantic pain? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Synchro909 10-15-2020 04:29 PM

Re: Taillight bulbs

Why would you want to change it?

oldsman41 10-15-2020 04:33 PM

Well number one people aren’t real happy when I use arm signals because they don’t hv a clue what I’m doing. So turn signals in the taillight should do the job

Jim/GA 10-15-2020 04:58 PM

You can convert the stock Model A stop lights to turn signals without having to convert to dual-filament bulbs.

Of course you need 2 tail lights on the car.

It is fairly regularly done.

For the front you either need to add some lights for turn signals, make your existing parking lights your turn signals, or convert parking lights to dual-filament bulbs.

PM me if you have questions.

Patrick L. 10-15-2020 06:02 PM

As Jim said, there is no need to convert the rears to 2 filament bulbs.

For the fronts the parks or cowls can be used. And if they are to used as intended as well as turns then they need to be converted to 2 filament.

ModelAMike1930 10-15-2020 07:28 PM

I solved the whole problem by installing separate lamps for my turn signals I have them on both of my 1930 model a's. I bought stainless steel lamps.

Jim/GA 10-15-2020 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ModelAMike1930 (Post 1941976)
I solved the whole problem by installing separate lamps for my turn signals I have them on both of my 1930 model a's. I bought stainless steel lamps.

Yes, one of my cars was done like this before I bought it. I like that the brake lights stay lit up when I step on the brake and a separate light flashes when the turn signal is on.

It's all about being SEEN by the distracted drivers behind you when you are turning and stopping. So having stop and turn in separate lights is better.

But it is not easy to mount the extra 2 lights and have it look good on the car.

Synchro909 10-15-2020 09:44 PM

I forgot that you guys use the brake lights as indicators. That was banned here back in the mid 50s after Holden used them on one model only. When I drive over there, that is just one of the many things that I have to adjust to.

ryanheacox 10-16-2020 06:49 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I hemmed and hawed about adding turn signals but now that I have good headlights and I'm driving at night more often the hand signals just wouldn't cut it. I picked up a set of restored Yell-O-Lite signals to add to the rear of the car and I think they look pretty neat and blend in well. I converted the parking lights up front.

I don't have two tail lights so adding directionals to the tail light would have resulted in left turns only :D

Big hammer 10-16-2020 07:23 AM

I've noticed that some of the new fords have Amber turn signals in the middle of the brake lights. Carefull following behind them............you can't see the amber light flashing at times

oldsman41 10-16-2020 08:53 AM

Lots of ideas so far

Patrick L. 10-16-2020 09:34 AM

After being rear ended I changed to LED rears along with a third stop light mounted on the spare.

The gal that rear ended me was in a nice '55 Belair. So I'm not sure if the issue was just being a woman, a Chevy driver, trying to lite up another cig, or dialing her phone.

CarlG 10-16-2020 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanheacox (Post 1942072)
I hemmed and hawed about adding turn signals but now that I have good headlights and I'm driving at night more often the hand signals just wouldn't cut it. I picked up a set of restored Yell-O-Lite signals to add to the rear of the car and I think they look pretty neat and blend in well. I converted the parking lights up front.

I don't have two tail lights so adding directionals to the tail light would have resulted in left turns only :D

I just installed a pair of those Yell-O-Lite signals (with LED bulbs) on my '31 CCPU. Haven't run the wiring yet. These are supplemental to the LED tail lights I've had for ever. Just thought the additional signals just add a bit of period correctness. Anxious to get them wired up before it gets too cold out there.

fuzes45 10-16-2020 11:59 AM

With only left you would be ready for NASCAR

Patrick L. 10-16-2020 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzes45 (Post 1942171)
With only left you would be ready for NASCAR

But, how would one get out of the pits and back on the track ?

Chuck Sea/Tac 10-16-2020 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big hammer (Post 1942080)
I've noticed that some of the new fords have Amber turn signals in the middle of the brake lights. Carefull following behind them............you can't see the amber light flashing at times

I was behind a car the other day that had red turn signals in the middle of the brake light assembly. With the brakes on and then the middle flashing, it took a second to realize what was happening. So it sounds to me like the “in the middle” turn signal with a lit lamp on each side isn’t a great idea.

old31 10-18-2020 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldsman41 (Post 1941925)
Has anyone converted their taillights to dual filament bulbs for turn signals,did you use the socket from macs and was it a gigantic pain? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I did it about a month a go using macs stuff. The job was not bad at all.

old31 10-18-2020 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim/GA (Post 1941938)
You can convert the stock Model A stop lights to turn signals without having to convert to dual-filament bulbs.

Of course you need 2 tail lights on the car.

It is fairly regularly done.

For the front you either need to add some lights for turn signals, make your existing parking lights your turn signals, or convert parking lights to dual-filament bulbs.

PM me if you have questions.

Jim, how can this be done with 2 taillights and no dual filament bulb?

katy 10-18-2020 09:49 AM

Quote:

how can this be done with 2 taillights and no dual filament bulb?
Each tail light has 2 bulbs.

Patrick L. 10-18-2020 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old31 (Post 1942712)
Jim, how can this be done with 2 taillights and no dual filament bulb?

2 bulbs per lite. 1 for tail lites. 1 for brake lites. The brake lite bulb is also used for the turn.