The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   A Condenser on a B distributor (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287806)

DBSHELTON 09-26-2020 07:54 PM

A Condenser on a B distributor

Did I see where someone modified an A condenser to use on a B distributor? I can't seem to locate it now. I think they drilled another hole in the bracket to mount and made up a pigtail wire to hook it up.

Bob-A 09-27-2020 09:36 AM

Re: A Condenser on a B distributor

That's what I did on my "B" distributor. I slip the "A" condenser through the "B" distributor condenser mounting hole. Eyeball engineer where the hole should be drilled on the "A" condenser mounting tab. Once I drill and mount the "A" condenser I also bend the consenser tab over to conform to the "B" distributor. And yes on the pigtail. ;)

Bob-A:D

DBSHELTON 09-27-2020 12:48 PM

Thanks. I was thinking I didn't dream this up. I guess you have been running this a while?

Bob-A 09-27-2020 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBSHELTON (Post 1935842)
I guess you have been running this a while?

Well, not really....:eek: It's been very rainy here in central Florida for a while.
Plus, I've got a couple of Harleys to keep running, an acre of grass to mow, there is a pandemic, etc., etc.:rolleyes:

The ..'Barner who posted the original message on running the "A" condenser with the "B" distributor, I can't remember his name, is a very knowledgeable guy. So I see no reason why it should not work.:cool: Heck! I start the car up periodically and it runs fine......when I get the timing right:o I am a constant fidget'r who will not leave well enough a lone and usually cause more bad then good.:p

Y-Blockhead 09-27-2020 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob-A (Post 1935898)
I am a constant fidget'r who will not leave well enough a lone and usually cause more bad then good.:p

I find the best reasons being in care of a Model A is to FIDGET with it and the rationale to buy MORE TOOLS. :p:p

Charlie Stephens 09-27-2020 10:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
You may be thinking of my post. The one thing I failed to mention is that I believe there is a short wire used for something else that will serve to connect the condenser to the distributor, Be sure to get a quality condenser like the one from Brattons.

Charlie Stephens

DBSHELTON 09-28-2020 05:02 AM

I like this idea. If I modify a couple of condensers I can use them on either distributor.

Dave Slater 09-30-2020 08:19 AM

If you contact Gotham Auto Parts in New York they sell a high quality “B” condenser. Mine has worked for years. Dave

Purdy Swoft 09-30-2020 09:56 AM

The condenser can be connected to the switch side of the coil , (red wire) . A modern condenser is easy to set up and connect because it already has a pig tail . In such cases , no condenser will be used in the distributor . The condenser should last longer when connected in this manner because it will run cooler , it will also be much easier to remove and replace . In such cases , a modern condenser is much easier to locate . I have used this setup for many years on my september 29 .