The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Cleaning Silvered Plated Lamp Reflectors (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287244)

PalAl 09-14-2020 08:17 PM

Cleaning Silvered Plated Lamp Reflectors

1 Attachment(s)
Doing a search I came across an article about Cleaning Silvered Plated Lamp Reflectors from Mr. Bob Bidonde dated December 1999, going to give it a try as my reflectors have a dull like coating on them but appear to have a shine under that film. Thank you Mr. Bob any other tips before I dips?

Any other ideas would be appreciated especially if you have done this and it worked.

Yes... I know I can buy new ones, but where is the fun in that

Thanks

Russ/40 09-14-2020 09:10 PM

Re: Cleaning Silvered Plated Lamp Reflectors

Never tried it but have heard "lamp black works".

PalAl 09-14-2020 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ/40 (Post 1931701)
Never tried it but have heard "lamp black works".

Russ I am not familiar with this product, do you have a source or picture of "Lamp Black" what is this stuff?

Bob Johnson 09-14-2020 10:33 PM

Alternative method.

Get an aluminum pot big enough to hold the reflector. Fill it with water and several tablespoons of baking soda. Put the reflector in the pot and boil the water. There will be a chemical reaction between the aluminum and the silver sulfide. The reflector should be shiny again.

Bob

daveymc29 09-14-2020 11:06 PM

So how long do I boil the soda water? Let it sit to cool or wash it off with cold water? Just trying to not overlook something and ruin what I have.

Thanks

Ruth 09-14-2020 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PalAl (Post 1931681)
Doing a search I came across an article about Cleaning Silvered Plated Lamp Reflectors from Mr. Bob Bidonde dated December 1999

It would be nice if you posted a link to this article so others don't have to search.

PalAl 09-15-2020 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruth (Post 1931748)
It would be nice if you posted a link to this article so others don't have to search.

You Sir are absolutely right!
I have thought the same thing many times after an exhausting search, my bad

Here is the link to the article

http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/reflectorcleaning.htm

CA Victoria 09-15-2020 05:59 AM

My 2 cents:
I don’t doubt the process works but I can tell you that when I tried it I was not satisfied. The reflectors were not pristine to begin with but ended up un-usable. I take credit but I am not sure what I did wrong, it removed some of the tarnish but lost its luster.

I sent them to Craig Riker to be re silvered, he is very reasonable.

Oldbluoval 09-15-2020 07:11 AM

Did he actually resilver or chrome them? Big difference believe it or not
Yes Craig is reasonable but best of all very good! Best of two worlds!

Badpuppy 09-15-2020 09:48 AM

Tried the boiling water & Al foil, didn't work well. Guess the water didn't stay hot enough.
Read online the jewelry buffs use salted lemon juice. Tried white vinegar & salt, tarnish wiped off easily with a soft cloth.

Badpuppy 09-15-2020 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PalAl (Post 1931721)
Russ I am not familiar with this product, do you have a source or picture of "Lamp Black" what is this stuff?

Lamp black/carbon black is basically plain old chimney soot. Pure carbon powder, probably sold by chemical suppliers.

Jim M 09-15-2020 09:59 AM

Not sure what he used buy I sent him my light reflectors and they came back looking like they just came out of the factory. VERY satisified and a great gentleman. Had the good fortune to meet Craig at the fall sale in Harrisburg, PA.

McMimmcs 09-15-2020 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA Victoria (Post 1931781)
My 2 cents:
I don’t doubt the process works but I can tell you that when I tried it I was not satisfied. The reflectors were not pristine to begin with but ended up un-usable. I take credit but I am not sure what I did wrong, it removed some of the tarnish but lost its luster.

I also had unsatisfactory results. What was the cost of resilvering or should I buy new ones from Steve.

chrs1961815 09-15-2020 10:44 AM

I believe a lot of the tarnishing comes from incorrect gaskets on the headlamp. The cork gasket should make it very hard to snap that ring in. It almost makes it like an air tight seal. If done right, you should not have to clean them for years.

100IH 09-15-2020 10:48 AM

I think that you'd be lucky to find a reflector that no one has ever touched before you got there. The coatings are thin and won't stand any abrasive, or even a finger print.

PalAl 09-15-2020 01:22 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Ok.... The boiling water and aluminum foil scared me...
so here is what I did and it worked well for me
I used Tarn-X and then applied a coat of wax, so far it looks good
Hope it doesn't dissolve in a puff of smoke overnight

Bob Johnson 09-15-2020 01:31 PM

Here is a picture of a headlight on a car that sat in a barn since the mid 1960s, over 50 years. The silver is still very shiny.

Bob

http://www.modelahouse.com/images/tc-headlight01.jpg

shew01 09-15-2020 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PalAl (Post 1931721)

Here is a link.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/4748980...SABEgJh4_D_BwE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PalAl 09-15-2020 09:40 PM

Thanks Shew01, another day of learning, this is used as a polishing compound I assume

CWPASADENA 09-15-2020 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA Victoria (Post 1931781)

I have my reflectors ready to be re-silvered and the shop I have used in the past is no longer in business. Could you post Craig Riker's contact information?

Thanks,

Chris W.