The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   leaky brake fittings (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286367)

rustythumb 08-29-2020 02:14 PM

leaky brake fittings

i've installed many brake lines back in the 70's & 80's using u.s.a. made parts with no problems. now i'm using off-shore tubes & fittings [all i can find] & getting lots of leaks! anyone else have this problem or is it just me?

TJ 08-29-2020 03:21 PM

Re: leaky brake fittings

Are you using Dot5(silicone fluid)? If so it is prone to weep .

FritzJr 08-29-2020 05:56 PM

I try to use NOS or NORS parts as much as possible. I have had great difficulty with leaks with off-shore parts.

rustythumb 08-29-2020 06:08 PM

i use dot 3 only!

RKS.PA 08-29-2020 06:45 PM

rusty, this might not be a solution for you, but I've gotten to the point where I make my own lines with a really good double flare tool, and have had good luck getting fittings locally that seem to mate well with the brake components. Also have a very good tubing bender and use the old line as a template and copy it as best I can.

Good luck on this project.

JSeery 08-29-2020 07:12 PM

I make up my own lines and use older US made fittings and other parts.

Brian 08-29-2020 07:33 PM

I bought all my tubing and fittings from 'The Stopshop', dunno where they source it from, but I had zero problems.

JSeery 08-29-2020 07:58 PM

I would also suggest you might get better parts from a dedicated brake/fitting supply vs a general auto supply. As a general rule it seems to me that a lot of auto parts suppliers are just looking for the cheapest parts with the greatest return money wise to them. While the suppliers dedicated to a specific product and who provide parts to professional shops might tend to carry a better line (as some of our Barn friends do to the early Ford market).

fordor41 08-29-2020 10:38 PM

tighten, loosen a couple times to get a good seat on the fittings

john in illinois 08-30-2020 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fordor41 (Post 1925553)
tighten, loosen a couple times to get a good seat on the fittings

X2

John

32phil 09-01-2020 08:12 AM

One lesson I learned years ago.....
Always use a tubing cutter when cutting brake line. A hacksaw may be quicker but the line is prone to leak after double flaring.
Just sayin'.........

RKS.PA 09-01-2020 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSeery (Post 1925509)
I would also suggest you might get better parts from a dedicated brake/fitting supply vs a general auto supply. As a general rule it seems to me that a lot of auto parts suppliers are just looking for the cheapest parts with the greatest return money wise to them. While the suppliers dedicated to a specific product and who provide parts to professional shops might tend to carry a better line (as some of our Barn friends do to the early Ford market).

Agree with Jerry on this one. Think the local "national" auto parts stores are pressed for profit margins, especially if publicly traded.

Hoping the "made in the USA" movement continues for materials and parts like this. And....even though I'm not the best craftsman on here, I get a certain amount of satisfaction in making stuff myself when I can.

A bones 09-01-2020 09:03 AM

Yes! Jerry knows.