The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Wont run at slow speed (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=179097)

carolinamudwalker 09-27-2015 10:21 AM

Wont run at slow speed

Help Car ran flawlessly during a 1500 mile tour to the great smoky mountains. But coming home it would not run at low RPM's in traffic or stop lights. If I poured water over the carb I could get it to started again and would run ok as long as I did not slow down. outside temp 90 deg and car was running hotter than normal about 180 deg. What's the fix other than a down draft carb? ps:This continued until I pulled into the driveway at 10 pm. thax in advance Bob

Patrick L. 09-27-2015 10:32 AM

Re: Wont run at slow speed

Are the engine side pans installed ? They should be.

I've made a heat deflector that starts at the manifold bolt above the carburetor and follows the exhaust manifold bend and ends being bolted to the flange.

I think it also helps to have the fuel line always going downhill.

Some say non ethanal helps.

This is if everything else is normal and you think the problem is heat related.

Kurt in NJ 09-27-2015 03:23 PM

look at the idle jet, secondary well ---once I had no idle and found a small crack in the tube that is part of the idle jet ----another time had some problems with dirt in secondary well
always check the points, it is surprising how some ignition problems can seem like carb problems

carolinamudwalker 09-28-2015 08:38 AM

Thanks guy's Side pans in place, I do think it is heat or carburetor related. I will go through the Carb and electrical systems just to be sure. I am just afraid that it is the nature of the beast.

Rex_A_Lott 09-28-2015 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carolinamudwalker (Post 1163838)
Thanks guy's Side pans in place, I do think it is heat or carburetor related. I will go through the Carb and electrical systems just to be sure. I am just afraid that it is the nature of the beast.

Its not the nature of the beast, something is wrong and it can be fixed. Keep looking, you will find it, and Good Luck!

burner31 09-28-2015 09:26 AM

Anyone have a picture of these "side pans"
I see nothing at the vendor sites for these.

DJ S 09-28-2015 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burner31 (Post 1163856)

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/engine-pans

burner31 09-28-2015 12:27 PM

Thanks DJS

CarlG 09-28-2015 12:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by burner31 (Post 1163856)

Like this?

RobertB 09-28-2015 03:08 PM

Check Ebay...available there for a reasonable price...but I have no idea of quality.

Jeff/Illinois 09-28-2015 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ (Post 1163470)
look at the idle jet, secondary well ---once I had no idle and found a small crack in the tube that is part of the idle jet ----another time had some problems with dirt in secondary well
always check the points, it is surprising how some ignition problems can seem like carb problems

I'd start there too. 80% of problems like these you are having is point related, and you just came off a 1500 mile tour---- time to reset the points especially if they were new and the rubbing block is now worn a tad. I'd do that first and then check/clean the carb.

Are you running a Zenith? Have you flow tested the jets, or gotten a GOOD pair already flow tested from Renner's? I had this once on the '29 Tudor. Points checked out fine but some crud had gotten into the secondary well. Cleaned it up, cleaned out the little holes in the bottom and it was off to the races!! Hope the secondary well fixture comes out OK they can be a bear if it's been a while.

Jerry in Shasta 09-28-2015 10:19 PM

Sounds like vacuum leak to me, or the carburetor halves have opened up.
JB

KGBnut 09-29-2015 05:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm with Kurt. I had a similar problem driving to a car show in Southbury, Connecticut a few weeks ago. It was fine at speed, but wouldn't idle and stalled at every stop sign. Once we were parked on the field and had cooled down, we decided to tackle it. My fifteen-year-old daughter started by pulling the carb out...not a big deal. However, in just a few minutes, a small crowd gathered and started snapping pictures of her. It was like they had never seen a teenage girl twisting a wrench before.

Sure enough, there was visible grit blocking the idle jet. I blew it clear, reassembled it, and have had no troubles since.

bobpo1 09-29-2015 06:04 PM

KGBnut, you tell your daughter that she has given me renewed faith in the young folks of today. Thanks for the picture, you should be very proud.

Mudwalker, I would love to have been on that trip. Talk more about it, you've got to have some great stories.