The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Killer virus (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106932)

Milton 05-22-2013 11:25 PM

Killer virus

Well here I am, I'm back.

All I did was search for shock info and I wound up at the H.A.M.B. Jalopy Journal. Got an alert about suspicious code and ignored it, twice. Got a Java script warning and by then it was too late. I got the Win32:Sirefef virus. It immediately shut down access to my defense systems and then cut loose with who knows how many viruses (it's a dropper). Had to do a system restore and am starting all over.

I'll be back when everything is together, just a post to let you all know, beware, they are still out there and badder than ever! :mad:

lookin-backtexas 05-23-2013 07:58 AM

Re: Killer virus

Just think of how much money one of these "virus wizards" could make in the legitimate business world if they used their creative juices for "good" - such as creating a REVERSE VIRUS. Now that's software I'd buy! When someone spams you and persists in sending unwanted emails, you could ZAP 'em back! :eek:

Wouldn't that be poetic justice? :cool:

Fred

Mike V. Florida 05-23-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lookin-backtexas (Post 656812)
Just think of how much money one of these "virus wizards" could make in the legitimate business world if they used their creative juices for "good" - such as creating a REVERSE VIRUS. Now that's software I'd buy! When someone spams you and persists in sending unwanted emails, you could ZAP 'em back! :eek:

Wouldn't that be poetic justice? :cool:

Fred

Now that would be great!

JD 1931 05-23-2013 10:39 AM

keep a good anti- virus installed and download a cleaner (cccleaner) and use it before every shut down...

Jason in TX 05-23-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

[B][COLOR=blue]Just think of how much money one of these "virus wizards" could make in the legitimate business world if they used their creative juices for "good" - such as creating a REVERSE VIRUS.

MAYBE the college age kids who work at McAffee building anti-virus software are going home and writing viruses.... then go to work the next day and get paid to write code to delete their virus. Eternal job security, eh? :D

TinCup 05-23-2013 11:25 AM

I frequent both boards and have seen nothing suspicious pop up. I kind of notice that stuff since it is how I made a living. I use Microsoft's free Software Security Essentials. It works well and has free updates as well. Usually these come from third party links to other sites rather than from the initial site. That being said it's the third comment I have had about this same issue from other users. I sent Ryan a link a couple of weeks ago on just such a post that tried to direct the user to a bogus site.

Bob/Kansas City 05-23-2013 02:42 PM

I use Norton Internet Security and have noticed a warning pop up a time or two particularly when jumping to a post on the HAMB from a Google search. The virus program has stopped whatever is going on so far though.

5window 05-23-2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milton (Post 656676)
Well here I am, I'm back.

All I did was search for shock info and I wound up at the H.A.M.B. Jalopy Journal. Got an alert about suspicious code and ignored it, twice. Got a Java script warning and by then it was too late. I got the Win32:Sirefef virus. It immediately shut down access to my defense systems and then cut loose with who knows how many viruses (it's a dropper). Had to do a system restore and am starting all over.

I'll be back when everything is together, just a post to let you all know, beware, they are still out there and badder than ever! :mad:

First thing you should do is notify Ryan.

Tiny 05-23-2013 10:16 PM

It's those dam hotrodders on the HAMB I tell ya!!!
Shifty looking bunch if you ask me!!!!
1st their eyeing are cars. Now it's our computers. What's next? Our women?

:)^^ sarcasm. In case you didn't know.

roccaas 05-23-2013 10:21 PM

It's the Chinese or North Korean military hackers trying to get inside info on upgrading their 1930's era equipment.

I bought Apple when the Window's computer took a lighting bolt. Haven't thought about virus' much since. The thing just works.

SteveM 05-23-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Just think of how much money one of these "virus wizards" could make in the legitimate business world if they used their creative juices for "good"

As Maxwell Smart used to say: 'If only he'd used his genius for niceness instead of evil'

Steve

stallerl 05-23-2013 10:48 PM

I picked up a nasty virus a few years ago when I attempted to sign onto HAMB. Ever since that happened I'm really cautious when I sign in. Be careful!

TonyM 05-23-2013 10:55 PM

I had a scare recently, but I was able to chase the varmints down and get 'em.

green30coupe 05-23-2013 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roccaas (Post 657470)
It's the Chinese or North Korean military hackers trying to get inside info on upgrading their 1930's era equipment.

I bought Apple when the Window's computer took a lighting bolt. Haven't thought about virus' much since. The thing just works.

I'm all "Appled up" too.:)

Dusty 05-24-2013 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiny (Post 657466)
It's those dam hotrodders on the HAMB I tell ya!!!
Shifty looking bunch if you ask me!!!!
1st their eyeing are cars. Now it's our computers. What's next? Our women?

:)^^ sarcasm. In case you didn't know.

They can have mine...women that is:rolleyes: