The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Ammonia instead of carb cleaner? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=190886)

30aadoodlebug 03-05-2016 11:38 AM

Ammonia instead of carb cleaner?

Since its too cold to work in the barn today, I've decided to begin rebuilding one of the carburetors I have on the shelf. Now that tear-down is complete, I have to ask: is using ammonia just as effective as the much more expensive carb cleaner to soak it? Les Andrews touches briefly on this in his Zenith overhaul section in Vol. 1. Is this worth doing?

Thanks!

BILL WILLIAMSON 03-05-2016 01:04 PM

Re: Ammonia instead of carb cleaner?

I've cleaned them in a pot, on the stove, with TIDE & WATER.
Bill Clean

DougVieyra 03-05-2016 01:24 PM

NO ! Ammonia is not nearly as effective at cleaning anything (well, just about anything) as is Carburetor cleaner.

I found this out while cleaning out the fonts and 'burners' of my 15 or so Kerosene Lamps. While some recommend ammonia for cleaning lamps (and I did a bunch of lamps this way) ammonia did not work nearly as well (effective, thorough, timely) as did carb. cleaner.

I would presume that the same results would be for cleaning a carburetor.

Mitch//pa 03-05-2016 02:02 PM

I use my sandblast cab on the zenith's... I then wash it off and flush all the ports out with carb cleaner and a straw

Tom Wesenberg 03-05-2016 02:08 PM

I do the same as Mitch.
If I find a passage totally blocked, then I remove the brass plug to clean it out, otherwise I leave the brass plugs alone.

30aadoodlebug 03-05-2016 02:42 PM

Thanks guys! I guess that does away with my wallets hopes of a cheaper fix. It did sound strange, but figured it would be worth asking about before using the method.

BILL WILLIAMSON 03-05-2016 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitch//pa (Post 1253423)
I use my sandblast cab on the zenith's... I then wash it off and flush all the ports out with carb cleaner and a straw

BE EVER SO CAREFUL, if your glasses have PLASTIC lens, it can RUIN them:eek::eek::eek:
Dad W.

Will N 03-05-2016 02:51 PM

Ammonia will dissolve the brass plugs in the passage ways if you soak the carb too long.

Mitch//pa 03-05-2016 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON (Post 1253450)
BE EVER SO CAREFUL, if your glasses have PLASTIC lens, it can RUIN them:eek::eek::eek:
Dad W.

I don't wear glasses :cool::eek:

H. L. Chauvin 03-05-2016 03:29 PM

FWIW:

"If" one wants to experiment with a few things that "really" works, and will not harm metal for cleaning cast iron carburetors or pot metal carburetors :

1. Cast Iron or Pot Metal:

POR 15 "Marine Clean" is a water based chemical specially formulated material that attacks petroleum products like paint remover attacking dry, cured paint .......... it emulsifies petroleum products as opposed to thinning petroleum products. It reaches deep down in the pores of metal where afterwards, the emulsified petroleum residue can be rinsed off with water. After said use, (sometimes with more than one application), the metal is "oil free & petroleum product free" ....... hence, it will rust quickly in humid areas if not treated or painted to seal metal pores.

2. Non-Ferrous Carburetor Screws and Jets: Used successfully only by vintage mechanics that I knew since the Model T days:

A. For non-believers, please find the most tarnished pennies one can find and allow several of them to soak in two (2) separate solutions.

a. Solution A: Your most favorite and strongest Carburetor Jet and Carburetor Screw Cleaner.

b. Solution B: Louisiana Hot Sauce.

After 10 minutes soaking, please, please, look at the pennies in each solution.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm .....

Besides steel wires, wire brushes, lacquer thinner, carburetor cleaner, etc., etc., ...................

What was in "most" mechanics' shops for cleaning insides and outsides of Carburetor Jets for the past 90 years?

30aadoodlebug 03-05-2016 04:22 PM

So a gallon of Franks would do it? Or should one try Tobasco?

H. L. Chauvin 03-05-2016 05:18 PM

FWIW:

"Louisiana Hot Sauce" was prescribed on the above very potent "Prescription" because of the Cayenne content .............. LOL

Stick with the "Prescription" made with only with Cayenne Peppers, e.g.:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cayenne pepper is a certain remedy for heart attack; as a stimulant, it can start the heart into action again, and as it facilitates blood flow throughout the body, it will keep the heart going. Used as a heart attack preventative, along with the mucusless diet and a healthful life-style, Cayenne can do wonders in toning and rebuilding the heart and keeping it in top condition.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe keep a bottle in your Model A if you have occasional chest pains.

Why change the "Prescription" when one know what works for carburetor jets.

The "Louisiana", and "Crystal" brands are still using vintage Cayenne Peppers as opposed to chili peppers and jalapeno peppers and God knows what.

Hope this helps ...... similar to MMO ..... LOL

ian Simpson 03-05-2016 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitch//pa (Post 1253455)
I don't wear glasses :cool::eek:

Then wear safety glasses

ursus 03-06-2016 02:04 PM

Yes, safety glasses! If you don't think eye protection is important, ask the man who has one.

katy 03-07-2016 11:42 AM

Only one set of eyes to a customer.

FrankWest 03-07-2016 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 30aadoodlebug (Post 1253324)
Since its too cold to work in the barn today, I've decided to begin rebuilding one of the carburetors I have on the shelf. Now that tear-down is complete, I have to ask: is using ammonia just as effective as the much more expensive carb cleaner to soak it? Les Andrews touches briefly on this in his Zenith overhaul section in Vol. 1. Is this worth doing?

Thanks!

Don't use ammonia..ammonia is very corrosive..I actually dissolves metals other than steel.

SeaSlugs 03-07-2016 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin (Post 1253475)
FWIW:

"If" one wants to experiment with a few things that "really" works, and will not harm metal for cleaning cast iron carburetors or pot metal carburetors :

1. Cast Iron or Pot Metal:

POR 15 "Marine Clean" is a water based chemical specially formulated material that attacks petroleum products like paint remover attacking dry, cured paint .......... it emulsifies petroleum products as opposed to thinning petroleum products. It reaches deep down in the pores of metal where afterwards, the emulsified petroleum residue can be rinsed off with water. After said use, (sometimes with more than one application), the metal is "oil free & petroleum product free" ....... hence, it will rust quickly in humid areas if not treated or painted to seal metal pores.

2. Non-Ferrous Carburetor Screws and Jets: Used successfully only by vintage mechanics that I knew since the Model T days:

A. For non-believers, please find the most tarnished pennies one can find and allow several of them to soak in two (2) separate solutions.

a. Solution A: Your most favorite and strongest Carburetor Jet and Carburetor Screw Cleaner.

b. Solution B: Louisiana Hot Sauce.

After 10 minutes soaking, please, please, look at the pennies in each solution.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm .....

Besides steel wires, wire brushes, lacquer thinner, carburetor cleaner, etc., etc., ...................

What was in "most" mechanics' shops for cleaning insides and outsides of Carburetor Jets for the past 90 years?

only reason why the hot sauce works is its mostly vinegar and peppers. Vinegar alone will remove rust off anything as its a mild acid. it will clean up brass and copper but will also eat them if left too long. put a penny in vinegar and it will come out shiny as ever.

Ive seen the mediablast method work the best.

RDVAARK 06-10-2023 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin (Post 1253527)
FWIW:

"Louisiana Hot Sauce" was prescribed on the above very potent "Prescription" because of the Cayenne content .............. LOL

Stick with the "Prescription" made with only with Cayenne Peppers, e.g.:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cayenne pepper is a certain remedy for heart attack; as a stimulant, it can start the heart into action again, and as it facilitates blood flow throughout the body, it will keep the heart going. Used as a heart attack preventative, along with the mucusless diet and a healthful life-style, Cayenne can do wonders in toning and rebuilding the heart and keeping it in top condition.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe keep a bottle in your Model A if you have occasional chest pains.

Why change the "Prescription" when one know what works for carburetor jets.

The "Louisiana", and "Crystal" brands are still using vintage Cayenne Peppers as opposed to chili peppers and jalapeno peppers and God knows what.

Hope this helps ...... similar to MMO ..... LOL

I've really liked the results i get with "Secret AArdvark Hot Sauce".

mcgarrett 06-10-2023 07:03 PM

Forget all the other gee whiz cleaners out there. Go down to your Ford dealers' parts department and buy a can of this. This stuff really works. You will be amazed at how well it cleans.

mcgarrett 06-10-2023 07:03 PM

forgot the link...

https://images.carid.com/motorcraft/...up-cleaner.jpg