The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   F1 truck MC bench bleed (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=288503)

3twinridges 10-11-2020 11:29 AM

F1 truck MC bench bleed

I have read about bleeding the master cylinder on the bench. I thought I would try this with a new Wagner MC I bought. I was going to assemble it complete with the three way fitting and stop light switch. Attach a couple short flared brake pipes to the fitting to bleed it. How do I keep from reintroducing air into the cylinder when swapping the short bleeder pipes with the actual brake lines. Seems like the fluid would leak down and air would be introduced making the whole process a waste of time?

JB

1948F-1Pickup 10-11-2020 11:58 AM

Re: F1 truck MC bench bleed

Did brakes and suspension for a living at a couple of shops.
Bench bleeding was done very seldom. In general it's a waste
of time. If done, you're supposed to plug the port(s) afterwards and
install the MC, remove the plugs and install the vehicle's brake fittings.

3twinridges 10-11-2020 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1948F-1Pickup (Post 1940507)
Did brakes and suspension for a living at a couple of shops.
Bench bleeding was done very seldom. In general it's a waste
of time. If done, you're supposed to plug the port(s) afterwards and
install the MC, remove the plugs and install the vehicle's brake fittings.

Roger that, will move on to other projects.

JB

tubman 10-11-2020 02:17 PM

Done it with dual chamber master when the instructions recommended it. I don't think its needed with a singular chamber unit. I've never done it and have never had a problem.

FortyNiner 10-11-2020 03:06 PM

The plugs sorta keep the air out. The MC doesn't create much of an issue when bleeding. You are correct to move along to other tasks.

Hal Beatty 10-11-2020 03:27 PM

I've never done it with a "single" master cylinder...

Kube 10-11-2020 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubman (Post 1940539)
Done it with dual chamber master when the instructions recommended it. I don't think its needed with a singular chamber unit. I've never done it and have never had a problem.

Tubman, you are correct... it is not necessary on a single chamber master.

F-ONE 10-11-2020 08:26 PM

Pretty much impossible on that design master cylinder. Think about it, the fluid is going to run out when you make the connection and you'll have to bleed it again anyway. The only thing accomplished is a mess.

3twinridges 10-11-2020 08:49 PM

Thanks team for the insight. The reason why I circled back on the MC was because it seems like I have to push the pedal further on our 52 build than our 50 driver to get a taillight response. I was thinking I might have trapped air in the MC somewhere. We are about to swap out front drums (swapping to some nice turned originals) and I am going to use a pressure bleeder while doing the job to make sure all the lines and MC are bled appropriately.

JB

a36bonanza 10-11-2020 09:49 PM

3twinridges,

Now is the time to think about a dual M/C, I have a F-1 that I just install a dual M/C and will feel safer knowing I will not lose all the brakes if I should lose 1 brake line, I bought the conversion kit from Ebay, very simple to install. Total cost for new lines and the conversion kit was less than 250.00 If you have any questions PM me.
Tim

Aarongriffey 10-12-2020 12:24 AM

Since 1954 I’ve been bolting master cylinders to the vehicle and bench bleeding them right on the car.
Never have figured out what bleeding them on the bench does.
Do the same with dual master cylinders.