The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Spark control lever detents worn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291406)

GPierce 12-10-2020 11:07 AM

Spark control lever detents worn

Is there a fix for worn spark and throttle control lever detents short of replacing the steering column?
Mine are worn almost smooth.

nkaminar 12-10-2020 11:23 AM

Re: Spark control lever detents worn

What I have done is put a small length of plastic or rubber tubing over the control lever. It keeps the lever from wandering and keeps the detents from wearing further.

alexiskai 12-10-2020 11:44 AM

In previous threads, various fixes have been proposed. I recall someone suggested chiseling new detents in. Someone else suggested increasing the spring pressure on the levers so the worn detents would hold better. I like the non-destructive approach of the flexible tubing idea, but you wouldn't regain the click-click-click nature of the original detents.

oponui1 12-10-2020 12:04 PM

With a hacksaw, just follow the grooves and cut new ones . Works great

Bob from Northport 12-10-2020 12:27 PM

Use a small thin three sided file and carefully file each groove on each side. Works fine

McMimmcs 12-10-2020 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob from Northport (Post 1961469)
Use a small thin three sided file and carefully file each groove on each side. Works fine

This is what my mechanic did and it worked very well. Just like new.

Patrick L. 12-10-2020 05:05 PM

I've filed them and it works, but, Tom W came up with the idea of using a chisel so no material is removed. I like that idea.

Ernie Vitucci 12-10-2020 06:02 PM

Good afternoon...on a few Model 'A's...where the spark lever plate has been worn smooth, we have just used a medium hammer and bent the plate up just a little bit until there is friction between the plate and the lever...maybe not good for show...but does work for go! Ernie in Arizona

d. 12-10-2020 07:16 PM

I remember a post from the 80's where the owner soldered a BB to the bottom of the control lever...said it worked great, including the "click".

abachman3 12-10-2020 09:40 PM

I have welded up the rods and filed them back to a slight point. Worked quite well... but yes, you need to remove the rods to do this fix.

David R. 12-10-2020 09:53 PM

When I rebuilt my steering gear I re-cut all the detents with a three corner file and welded up the worn bottom of spark and throttle rods and filed them back to a slightly V shape so they click in the notches nicely now. I also replaced the tension springs and brazed up and re-shaped worn ball ends on the levers.

redmodelt 12-11-2020 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob from Northport (Post 1961469)

T, A or other cars do the same thing.

big job 12-11-2020 09:15 AM

A dremel and cut off wheel and a steady hand nice and clean and fast . That was the
fix on Ford tractors....

GPierce 12-11-2020 06:56 PM

Thanks to all of you responders. Now I have good idea how to proceed.