The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   1929 Business Coupe - Need more leg room (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284725)

DKnapp 07-28-2020 08:38 PM

1929 Business Coupe - Need more leg room

I am giving my oldest Grandson my '29 Business Coupe, but he has a problem with leg room. He is only 17 but he is already over 6' tall. His legs and knees hit the steering wheel before he even tries to engage the clutch or brake. So, what is the easiest way to modify the seat to give him more leg room? Do I modify the shelf tray by a couple of inches and then try to figure out how to move the seat riser back or somehow modify the seat riser?? Or, do I try to modify the seat cushion and seat back to gain the extra room?? Any ideas much appreciated.
PS: This is the coupe that my Grandfather gave to me in 1954 when I was 16. I want to continue the tradition by giving it to my oldest Grandson.

alexiskai 07-28-2020 09:35 PM

Re: 1929 Business Coupe - Need more leg room

Take a look at this thread, in which I describe how I moved the seat in my '29 Std coupe back a few inches.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...4947&showall=1

Mike Peters 07-28-2020 09:39 PM

Rather than cutting the package tray, you could remove the backrest and replace the spring with plywood and 2 or 3" foam. That would give an extra 2 or 3 inches of leg room. Others have done that with fixed seats in past threads.

ronn 07-29-2020 05:35 AM

many just remove the shelf tray. gives lots of extra room.

Big hammer 07-29-2020 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKnapp (Post 1914046)
I am giving my oldest Grandson my '29 Business Coupe, but he has a problem with leg room. He is only 17 but he is already over 6' tall. His legs and knees hit the steering wheel before he even tries to engage the clutch or brake. So, what is the easiest way to modify the seat to give him more leg room? Do I modify the shelf tray by a couple of inches and then try to figure out how to move the seat riser back or somehow modify the seat riser?? Or, do I try to modify the seat cushion and seat back to gain the extra room?? Any ideas much appreciated.
PS: This is the coupe that my Grandfather gave to me in 1954 when I was 16. I want to continue the tradition by giving it to my oldest Grandson.

Put a brick on his head (lol) I'am 6'3" and once I get in a coupe ( I've only driven 2) I don't have any problems driving short times only. Make sure your grandson helps with the modification .

Handing down your car is a great tradition !

lsr490 08-18-2020 06:56 PM

I really believe best solution since I'm only 5'7" is that you should sell me the car.
:):)

Aok 08-18-2020 09:52 PM

As ronn said remove the package shelf and move the seat back

KenBolton 08-19-2020 08:15 AM

I am 6’2” and 230 lbs and was hesitant to remove the self tray on my 30 Coupe. I removed the clutch and brake peddles, then cut them down 3/4” and welded them back together. Did the same thing plus heated and bent the gearshift level to the right a couple of inches in my 30 pickup, which previous to these mods I couldn’t even get in to. Best things I ever did! Since the pickup seats are bare springs, I also tied them down with safety wire reducing height by one half. I can now get into and drive it comfortably!

rotorwrench 08-19-2020 08:43 AM

Folks need to know how that package tray is integrated into the body structure on the Sport and Business coupes. These cars don't have a solid top so they only have that package tray and the belt line tack rail & main top wood bows to hole the sheet metal in a more sound position. A person could shorten the package tray but the lip would have to be replaced and all that will do is allow the seat back to lay back a few more degrees. The seat bottom cushion is still limited on how far it can be moved to the rear.

The seat spring boxes were designed to give a nice soft ride but this required them to have some pretty long springs. They give a lot when you set on them and the larger your body size and weight, the more they give. As was suggested before. A person can try building a seat back from plywood and using foam builders to move the driver to the rear a bit more. A person with long legs may always have a problem with "fitting" into the model A vehicles. The open cars would be even worse. Head room has never been a problem in my Sport Coupe so the seat bottom is generally high enough to do the job but it may need a new set of springs since I don't know if shorter would be better or not.

Jack Shaft 08-19-2020 08:43 AM

Rear bench out of a TJ jeep,removed riser and trunk floor,(replaced with plywood) seat brackets adapted to the subframe..