The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   "A" model rear wheel bearing conversion. (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287896)

Oldcarbearings 09-28-2020 09:53 PM

"A" model rear wheel bearing conversion.

G'day,
From North Warrandyte,Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.Through one of your members (Arnold Chivers),
We've come up with a modern conversion to replace the origianl HYATT wound journal roller type.It's a metric conversion part number;NU1010,
Dimensions are: ID: 50 MM,
OD: 80MM,
W: 16MM.These SHOULD be available from your local bearing company in MRC/RBC/TORRINGTON (KOYO) or INA/SKF,
IF not we can supply them POA,
Check out our website: www.aabearings.com.au

Synchro909 09-28-2020 11:41 PM

Re: "A" model rear wheel bearing conversion.

3 NU1010's in each hub. Their load rating is enough to carry a Sherman tank. I've done this conversion and the cheapest place I could find to buy the bearings was this crowd. They also have the seal you'll need.
BTW, I have no interest in this company.

McMimmcs 09-29-2020 04:40 AM

What is wrong with the originals ? Why would I change?

bavArian 09-29-2020 05:39 AM

From what I've read, Repro-bearings tend to die very soon as of late, as low as 500 mls.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 09-29-2020 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bavArian (Post 1936366)
From what I've read, Repro-bearings tend to die very soon as of late, as low as 500 mls.

Read this where?? :confused:

Synchro909 09-29-2020 06:18 AM

It has taken a lot of years but a weakness in Henry's hardening process is showing up now. The process didn't harden very well at the axle nut end of the hub so the hardening wears through - I'm sure most have seen it.
The standard repair is to put a sleeve on the end of the trumpet and in the hub, then use the smaller V8 rollers. The problem with that repair has been discussed a number of times here and in another forum. The sleeves for the trumpet tend to be soft and the rollers of poor quality. I have heard of a number of ways of using other over the counter bearings with varying degrees of success. So far no problems with this conversion on my car.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 09-29-2020 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synchro909 (Post 1936376)
It has taken a lot of years but a weakness in Henry's hardening process is showing up now. The process didn't harden very well at the axle nut end of the hub so the hardening wears through - I'm sure most have seen it.

The standard repair is to put a sleeve on the end of the trumpet and in the hub, then use the smaller V8 rollers. The problem with that repair has been discussed a number of times here and in another forum. The sleeves for the trumpet tend to be soft and the rollers of poor quality. I have heard of a number of ways of using other over the counter bearings with varying degrees of success. So far no problems with this conversion on my car.

Yeah, I am not sure where this is coming from. To begin with, Ford did not make the hubs, ...Kelsey Hayes did. I have both Ford's and K/H drawings on the A-1116 hub (11456 is K/H #). The print specifies the hub to be a forging from 'EE' steel with a 'BB' heat treatment. It calls for a 51-55 Rockwell. If the bearing alone was kept saturated in good quality grease, these would have gone a lifetime. Matter of fact, type 'EE' steel is a medium carbon steel and when forged, it likely would have given many miles of service without the heat treating process.

But on to the root problem. Most owners did a poor job of keeping the hub bearings lubricated which is why the hubs wear. I have a plug we machined that allows to check the wear of the hub. Many hubs are worn out-of-round and/or on a taper. Machining for a sleeve only wears thru the case hardening. That is why replacement hubs are manufactured to keep everything within factory tolerances.

Bruce of MN 09-29-2020 09:41 AM

Boy, Amazon has a big range of prices for those babies: $610 to $35!

Synchro909 09-29-2020 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce of MN (Post 1936452)
Boy, Amazon has a big range of prices for those babies: $610 to $35!

What are "those babies"? The hubs or bearings or NU 1010 bearings?
I can't remember exactly what I paid for the NU 1010 bearings at this company but I'm a tight @$$ so it wasn't much.

bavArian 09-30-2020 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C (Post 1936372)
Read this where?? :confused:

Wasn't there a post just a few weeks ago about failed repro rear wheel bearings? Or was that only the transmission bearings and the wheel bearings are fine?

Bruce of MN 09-30-2020 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synchro909 (Post 1936613)
What are "those babies"? The hubs or bearings or NU 1010 bearings?
I can't remember exactly what I paid for the NU 1010 bearings at this company but I'm a tight @$$ so it wasn't much.

Hey, I call it "Thrifty"! My buddies use the "Cheap" word.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=nu1010+be...ref=nb_sb_noss

Synchro909 09-30-2020 04:37 PM

Thrifty sounds better. I'm no longer a tight @$$ but will my wife believe that?

Oldcarbearings 04-14-2021 09:08 PM

I DON'T KNOW WHY FORD DIDN'T insist on designing/engineering (or Ruckwell) the rear axle assembly to take TAPER ROLLER bearings when just about EVERY major/minor USA car, commercial (trucks NOT pickups/utes) ,even tractors specified&used Timken EXCEPT for GM! :(.