The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Back in an A (and the long story behind it) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=207555)

wallster 10-22-2016 04:29 PM

Back in an A (and the long story behind it)

6 Attachment(s)
I sold my very first 1929 Model A (Tudor) last summer because I bought a restored '31 coupe. The coupe was a great car but the Mrs. had a tough time driving her and we just decided that we would get more use out of a more "modern" summer car. We sold the '31 to a great guy in Michigan who bought it as a surprise for his Dad. We ended up buying a '56 Chevy (restomod) but I still wanted a model A (there's just something so mechanical and enjoyable to me about these cars, I love working and them and driving them) so I recently found a '30 Tudor a few hours away and bought her. I did a little research and it turns out this car was restored in 1990. In 2011 the owner donated it to MAFFI and it was raffled off for a fundraiser to build the Ford Model A Museum in the Gilmore Car Museum (in Michigan ironically) The raffle winner had a bunch of work done (I have all the receipts) and then he ended up selling it to another guy this past summer. That guy didn't enjoy the model A so much so I bought it from him and hauled her back home. I absolutely love this car! She runs and drives great.
Here are some pics. Anyone remember this raffle? It was promoted by MAFCA and MARC. The guy who donated it was Jason Dryer from McLean VA, I'd love to ask him about the history of the car if anyone knows him.

Wally

31 Model A 10-22-2016 04:38 PM

Re: Back in an A (and the long story behind it)

A 56 Chevy and a Model A Ford....great combination.

C26Pinelake 10-22-2016 04:43 PM

Did you try to google his name, address and telephone number? Wayne

George Miller 10-22-2016 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 31 Model A (Post 1373434)

I agree I have a 1956 Belair hard top. Just like my first new car, in fact the bird hood ornament is from my original car. My Model A's and the chev's never fight.

mhsprecher 10-22-2016 06:35 PM

Funny. I had a Model A and a 56 chevy back in the late 60s.

I am a member of the northern VA chapter of the Model A Ford club. Jason should have. Been a member of our club. I have never heard of him, but I will inquire.

wallster 10-22-2016 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhsprecher (Post 1373484)
Funny. I had a Model A and a 56 chevy back in the late 60s.

I am a member of the northern VA chapter of the Model A Ford club. Jason should have. Been a member of our club. I have never heard of him, but I will inquire.

He became a member of the George Washington Chapter of MAFCA in May of 2011 according to this pdf link.
I'm a member of MARC but my membership from MAFCA expired and I didn't renew it.

Wally

Y-Blockhead 10-22-2016 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wallster (Post 1373429)
"Model A, there's just something so mechanical and enjoyable to me about these cars, I love working and them and driving them".
Wally

Wally, My sentiments exactly. I have a '55 Ford Ranchwagon (Ima Ford Guy)) that I rarely even work on anymore (I even considered selling it a couple times :p:p). I enjoy my '30 Town Sedan much more.

Nice lookin' Sedan you have there...

Drive Shaft Dave 10-22-2016 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 31 Model A (Post 1373434)

What a pair to draw from.;)

TerryH 10-22-2016 08:27 PM

Congratulations on picking up what appears to be a very nice Model A, that you will surely enjoy......very nice!!!

robert shreveport 10-22-2016 08:41 PM

Hey guys, I've got 31 A and a 55 chevy, and my wife has her 67 Camaro. All neat cars, she's happy and so am I. Good looking A there. Wish you good luck with both.

mhsprecher 10-22-2016 09:50 PM

Jason is no longer a member of the George Washington Chapter. I just looked him up and he is not in the latest directory the one from 2014, so he has not been a member of the club since I have been a member.

Jeff/Illinois 10-22-2016 10:20 PM

Wally, good combo. It's good to have some newer iron parked next to the A. A Tudor is a great all around Model A they can't be beat.

We have a '69 Mach 1 parked by the '30 Roadster and I love 'em both, lots of fun;) Wouldn't want it any other way.

wallster 10-23-2016 07:37 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Thanks for all the replies. It would be nice to get a little more history on the car but it sounds like Jason might be tough to track down. Thanks for checking the directory mhsprecher. I'm primarily a Ford guy but a tri-five chevy was on my bucket list forever so we pulled the trigger when the right one came along. Here's a couple more pics.

Wally

mhsprecher 10-23-2016 08:04 AM

Your 56 looks nice. I had a two door wagon. I don't have a lot of interest in another one, but it was a good first drive able car back in the day. I'd rather stick to Model A's and flathead V8's. If Jason is still around, we will track him down.

Steve_Mack_CT 10-23-2016 09:29 AM

Congrats! Only car I ever fully restored end to end was a '56 210 two door in turquoise and white. Biggest automotive blunder I ever made was trading it for a Corvette, but I was young and stupid at the time... Many collector cars since - that was one of my favorites.

We are back in an A as well so I know the feeling, as one of my friends who collects on a different level always says - "You can have as much fun in a Model A as a Model J" - - well, close anyway!! Enjoy the car!

wallster 10-23-2016 12:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_Mack_CT (Post 1373742)
Congrats! Only car I ever fully restored end to end was a '56 210 two door in turquoise and white. Biggest automotive blunder I ever made was trading it for a Corvette, but I was young and stupid at the time... Many collector cars since - that was one of my favorites.

We are back in an A as well so I know the feeling, as one of my friends who collects on a different level always says - "You can have as much fun in a Model A as a Model J" - - well, close anyway!! Enjoy the car!

My blunder car deal was when I sold Lucille, my '51 Ford F1. I had just built my garage in 2012 and rather than wait to run the gas line and electric I sold her to finish it. That one still hurts.

Wally

mhsprecher 10-24-2016 05:55 PM

We may have located him from an old club directory. I will PM with contact information

Greg Jones 10-24-2016 06:30 PM

That is one nice looking Tudor. Great looking interior and I love the blue exterior (Andalusite Blue, I presume).

wallster 10-24-2016 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Jones (Post 1374646)
That is one nice looking Tudor. Great looking interior and I love the blue exterior (Andalusite Blue, I presume).

Ding ding ding! She is Andalusite Blue, love that color combo, it's so gangster looking!

Wally

Johns30 10-25-2016 09:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice car - looks like a twin of mine except mine has 4 doors :)
I love the color combo with the black wheels.