The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Late V8 (1954+) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   '55 car rear end oil capacity (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=250869)

Daves55Sedan 09-05-2018 08:06 PM

'55 car rear end oil capacity

The shop manual says that the banjo housing requires 3-1/2 pints (that is a little less than a quart) of 90 wt gear oil. I don't see how that little amount will come anywhere near touching the rubber of the rear axle shaft seals.
I saw another source that said 1 quart. Still ???
Then I saw another source that said fill it up till it spills out of the filler plug hole in the differential housing. Well, that will certainly submerge all the oil seals.
Theoretically, I would have thought that enough to go up to the center of the axle shafts would be more than plenty, since the turning of the shafts would sling the oil around and keep the seals wet.

I ask this question because I am in the process of replacing my axle shaft seals, but when I pulled out the axle shafts, there was no oil pouring out of the end of the axle housing (which means that oil was not even touching the rubber part of the seals).
What say you all?

paul2748 09-05-2018 08:13 PM

Re: '55 car rear end oil capacity

Fill to the bottom of the filler hole

50fordcoupeman 09-05-2018 10:58 PM

The builder of my avatar's rear end ('55 Ford) filled it to the filler hole as stated above by Paul.

Dobie Gillis 09-06-2018 05:12 PM

What they said...^^^

Ole Don 09-06-2018 09:40 PM

Yup! To the bottom of the filler hole. Too much is better than too little here.

54vicky 09-07-2018 08:55 AM

I 2nd and 3rd etc the fill to plug been like that since the 50s

BruceMc 09-07-2018 10:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
From the '55 shop manual --

KULTULZ 09-08-2018 06:56 AM

IMO - Re: '55 car rear end oil capacity

If one plans to force fill an assy, the condition of the vent is important. A blocked/inoperative vent will cause seal(s) failures). An overfill can also lead to lubricant frothing.

If you want to be 100% certain that you have a correct fill level especially after rebuild, is to raise the car level (all four corners), and fill until the plug opening spills fluid. Put the cap back in and run the car. Check the level again and a few hundred miles afterward.

You also need to find a fluid with modern characteristics as much has changed from the fifties (and don't mix - a drain and fill should be considered).

54vicky 09-08-2018 08:29 AM

Re: IMO - Re: '55 car rear end oil capacity

Quote:

Originally Posted by KULTULZ (Post 1672488)
If one plans to force fill an assy, the condition of the vent is important. A blocked/inoperative vent will cause seal(s) failures). An overfill can also lead to lubricant frothing.

If you want to be 100% certain that you have a correct fill level especially after rebuild, is to raise the car level (all four corners), and fill until the plug opening spills fluid. Put the cap back in and run the car. Check the level again and a few hundred miles afterward.

You also need to find a fluid with modern characteristics as much has changed from the fifties (and don't mix - a drain and fill should be considered).

I will add that ford used an odd even number system odd left even right for those that did not know;)

KULTULZ 09-08-2018 10:16 AM

Re: IMO - Re: '55 car rear end oil capacity

Recently Advised Did Not Know Left From Right

The driver's side is the left hand side of the vehicle and governs such parts as fenders, lamps, etc. as to whether a part is right hand or left hand - FOMOCO

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54vicky (Post 1672519)

I will add that ford used an odd even number system odd left even right for those that did not know ;)

The accusation came within this thread - https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...64#post1663364

Posts Nos #98 and #99-

To Wit -

Quote:

Originally Posted by KULTULZ (Post 1663364)

I forget...

You said your present WP inlet (bottom hose) is on the left side so as to allow the coolant to flow across the radiator

Quote:

Originally Posted by XXX-OUT (Post 1663525)

I guess it depends on where you are at ( in front of the engine or sitting in the drivers side) to determine which is your left and which is your right.

The water pump inlet in this 302 is on the right (from drivers position). The outlet of the new radiator is on the right too so that will match ok. The top radiator hose inlet on the new rad.is on the right and on my old rad.,its on the left. When I get the new radiator I will figure out how to make the top hose fit.

I guess when mentioning left and right on a vehicle its best to say passenger or driver side.That makes things a lot easier to understand.

I will say Sal came on and saved my dignity, if not my virginity on Post #100. So I still have some self-respect left, but I still feel the hurt ... :(