The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Centering clutch plate (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220908)

Jim M 05-17-2017 08:38 AM

Centering clutch plate

I am getting ready to put a new clutch plate in and have searched to see the best way to center it. I haven't found any matches other than buying a centering tool. Any ideas on how this can be done without the tool. Wanted to do it today if possible. Thanks, Jim

Wagga A'er 05-17-2017 08:55 AM

Re: Centering clutch plate

Can use an old shaft if you have one.

Patrick L. 05-17-2017 09:04 AM

As you probably know by now the vendors have a plastic input shaft for a few bucks. I didn't/don't have an extra shaft to butucher and once I ended up making one from a 2x4. I just whittled it out real quick and it actually works. Just try to make it as close to the input shaft specs as you can. I've found it always helps to file a taper on the clutch disk splines too.

Jerry in Shasta 05-17-2017 09:14 AM

Go to NAPA they carry a cheap centering tool. Even with the disk centered it can be a mean job. Trust me what ever they charge it's worth every penny.

Auto Zone loans tools maybe they have one.
I think the disks are all the same from 1928 thru mid 1940's

JB

John 05-17-2017 09:30 AM

An old input shaft from the Model A transmission will work fine. See your local Model A buddies as they may have one left over from some previous transmission rebuilds. Don't forget to replace the bearing in the flywheel and the throwout bearing while you have everything apart.

40 Deluxe 05-17-2017 09:51 AM

Or leave the pressure plate bolts loose enough so you can slide the disc around and just line up the edge of the disc with the edge of the pressure plate. When you have it evenly spaced all around, tighten the bolts.

Dick Steinkamp 05-17-2017 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe (Post 1473647)
Or leave the pressure plate bolts loose enough so you can slide the disc around and just line up the edge of the disc with the edge of the pressure plate. When you have it evenly spaced all around, tighten the bolts.

I've successfully done it this way on occasion. It may take a couple of tries. Much easier with the $4 tool available from all our suppliers.

Tom Wesenberg 05-17-2017 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe (Post 1473647)

Yep, I've centered them on various cars, including the Model A, by just feeling the disc is even on each side, and it worked fine each time. I did cut off an old shaft that was junk, so now I have a good steel pilot to use.

30 Tudor 05-17-2017 11:01 AM

Besides feeling the disc on the sides, you can take a round rod,,shaft,socket extension,,ect,,
something round that will fit into the pilot bearing slightly loose,,then see how close to the splines it is all the way around as you gently roll it in a circle trying to touch the center splines on the disc. If the shaft touches the splines,,,, the shaft needs to be bigger.(a little tighter in the bearing) The shaft needs to be loose enough to wiggle around and measure equal distance around the inner circumference of the splines on the disc.

And now that I have you completely confused..........................:)

I've done this lots of times with never a miss.

Big hammer 05-17-2017 12:29 PM

Umm, you could use your own input shaft, a little time to remove it :-)

George Miller 05-17-2017 01:57 PM

Do your self a favor, go get a tool from NAPA. I worked on cars for a living many years ago. Yes you can do it with out a shaft. And yes you can mess up the pilot bearing with out one, plus all the stress to do it with out one.

40 Deluxe 05-18-2017 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Miller (Post 1473733)
Do your self a favor, go get a tool from NAPA. I worked on cars for a living many years ago. Yes you can do it with out a shaft. And yes you can mess up the pilot bearing with out one, plus all the stress to do it with out one.

We didn't have those nifty plastic tools back then! Some tool company, Lisle I think, made a universal kit, a shaft with different pilot adapters that screwed on the end of a shaft, and a sliding cone to center the disc. The things had so much slop it was hit or miss if the trans would go in. The feel-with-your-fingers on the edge worked much better.

ronn 05-18-2017 04:29 PM

I have an "extra" plastic tool.

will be home beg of June if you're not in a hurry, I'll send it too ya.