The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Classic condenser failure? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283049)

Jembow 06-23-2020 09:05 AM

Classic condenser failure?

Did a 60 mile run visiting family Saturday. Cruising up the main road at around 50mph, I sensed a slights misfire. Further on I went to pass a tractor and it was slow to pick up. Long story short, it got progressively worse. The last 5 miles home we're at around 20mph and it would not respond to wide throttle opening.

Next morning it roared down the road.

RalphM 06-23-2020 09:12 AM

Re: Classic condenser failure?

I had one fail on me and it just quit all together, no warning, no sputtering, just quit.

tubman 06-23-2020 09:25 AM

Either that or the coil.

Kube 06-23-2020 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubman (Post 1902042)
Either that or the coil.

Yep, exactly. I'd suggest you swap ONE piece at a time.

V8COOPMAN 06-23-2020 09:47 AM

"Next morning it roared down the road."

I believe he got her figured-out! DD

Lawson Cox 06-23-2020 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jembow (Post 1902034)
Did a 60 mile run visiting family Saturday. Cruising up the main road at around 50mph, I sensed a slights misfire. Further on I went to pass a tractor and it was slow to pick up. Long story short, it got progressively worse. The last 5 miles home we're at around 20mph and it would not respond to wide throttle opening.

Coil. Whwn they cool down, many times they work fine until they get hot again.
condensers generally just crap out. Period. My 2¢.

philipswanson 06-23-2020 10:17 AM

Glad Skip did my coil. Good piece of mind if nothing else.

V8ER 06-23-2020 10:44 AM

Definitely coil. Works when cool; fails when hot. Condenser failure is instantaneous and does not come back.

50fordcoupeman 06-23-2020 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V8ER (Post 1902072)
Definitely coil. Works when cool; fails when hot. Condenser failure is instantaneous and does not come back.

Exactly what happened to mine too!

Kube 06-23-2020 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V8ER (Post 1902072)

I beg to differ. Usually when a condenser fails, it is complete, IE a total fail.
Occasionally they fail "partially" and when that happens, the same symptoms of a failing coil occur.
I agree his issue is probably the coil but still advise one piece be swapped at a time.

V8COOPMAN 06-23-2020 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jembow (Post 1902034)

GUYS …...READ! Jembow is TRYING to 'learn' y'all something about the symptoms of a faulty CONDENSER. He didn't once ask opinions of what we thought was wrong! He made NO mention of a possible COIL problem! He had the car fixed and 'roaring down the road' the next morning! DD

Kube 06-23-2020 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN (Post 1902085)
GUYS …...READ! Jembow is TRYING to 'learn' y'all something about the symptoms of a faulty CONDENSER. He didn't once ask opinions of what we thought was wrong! He made NO mention of a possible COIL problem! He had the car fixed and 'roaring down the road' the next morning! DD

I don't read hos post that way. Hmmm???
The title to his thread was a question.
In his post, he said nothing about it being repaired, only that it roared down the road the next day.
A faulty coil, once cooled off, will be fine until it gets hot again. You know that. I sure do from a bad personal experience in bad part of town decades ago.
A guy tends to learn quickly when he's in a dangerous situation. But, I digress.

I'm guessing Jembow will weigh back in here. Now I'm especially curious :)
Hey Coop, there's a chicken dinner riding on this...

tubman 06-23-2020 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN (Post 1902085)

I see no mention of him fixing anything. Most likely, the coil cooled down and started working again (which is typical). Had several not mentioned the coil, he would probably waste a lot of time chasing condensers when the problem was most likely the coil.

V8COOPMAN 06-23-2020 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kube (Post 1902101)
I don't read hos post that way. Hmmm???
The title to his thread was a question.
In his post, he said nothing about it being repaired, only that it roared down the road the next day.
A faulty coil, once cooled off, will be fine until it gets hot again. You know that. I sure do from a bad personal experience in bad part of town decades ago.
A guy tends to learn quickly when he's in a dangerous situation. But, I digress.

I'm guessing Jembow will weigh back in here. Now I'm especially curious :)
Hey Coop, there's a chicken dinner riding on this...

Well, I like Popeye's! We'll see what Jembow says. Certainly wouldn't be the first time I wuz full of it! DD

Jembow 06-23-2020 11:51 AM

I did nothing, it worked next morning when it had cooled down. I have a replacement coil & condenser bought from one of the vendors - it is marked HAI, does that mean it's a Skip coil?

V8COOPMAN 06-23-2020 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jembow (Post 1902110)
I did nothing, it worked next morning when it had cooled down. I have a replacement coil & condenser bought from one of the vendors - it is marked HAI, does that mean it's a Skip coil?

NO cock-a-doodle for me tonight! DD

https://www.bing.com/th/id/OGC.e438a...CpnlwcNVs9s%3d

Kube 06-23-2020 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN (Post 1902107)
Well, I like Popeye's! We'll see what Jembow says. Certainly wouldn't be the first time I wuz full of it! DD

I also like Popeye's... you can send a certificate :)

35fordtn 06-23-2020 02:22 PM

HAI, means it is a skip coil that he rebuilt August,2019.

Lawrie 06-23-2020 04:25 PM

Micheal, is there a code in those letters,
Cam followers you sent are fitted , thanks
Lawrie

Jembow 06-23-2020 04:31 PM

Thanks 35fordtn, the coil was bought from you via my friend Roger.