The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   They switched my friends Trophy!!!! (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=251917)

Bruce in southern OH 09-23-2018 05:06 PM

They switched my friends Trophy!!!!

This is a funny story ( in a way ) , at our car club meeting yesterday evening one of my friends asked if we wanted to hear a good story. We all said yes, Don told us he went to a local car show in his town, ( driving his 35 Roadster ). The show had several classes and trophies were given out, he won first place in his class. He went up and got trophy and took back to his car, very nice trophy he said. He said that his wife and him went for a short walk around and returned to car, only to find his first place trophy had been removed and found the smaller 2nd place trophy in its place. Only in America! We told him he should have asked others running show for info but said most had left. End of story.

19Fordy 09-23-2018 05:14 PM

Re: They switched my friends Trophy!!!!

The giving of trophies at a car show can become insidious when egos are threatened.

Pretty sad.

Those who expect to win a car show trophy should bring
their own so they can look like the "winner" they aren't.

34pickup 09-23-2018 05:46 PM

Typical of trophy hunter car people. I suppose in their little mind that they think getting 1st place is more important than honesty and integrity.

5851a 09-23-2018 05:59 PM

That is lower than a snake belly in a wagon rut!

tubman 09-23-2018 06:23 PM

I really like my car and am very satisfied with it. I have never won a trophy and never expect to.

50fordcoupeman 09-23-2018 06:27 PM

Real low!! Car show admin folks know who got 2nd place and should go after him.

Mike in Mass 09-23-2018 06:49 PM

Up here in Mass We,d call a guy like that " FRONT PAGE ,LOOZER MAGAZINE " !

RalphM 09-23-2018 07:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
These are the only trophy’s I ever win!

zzlegend 09-23-2018 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RalphM (Post 1678487)

Now doesn't that just bug you Ralph? :D

Tinker 09-23-2018 08:03 PM

Our club did some shows in fl. Sometimes we had difficulty in deciding, as it wasn't point judged. Win some, lose some. Don't feel bad or worry. It's all for fun.

Seems silly someone would change out the 2nd place for his first. People are weird, but I guess they "thought" they deserved it... maybe just a good story down the road.... very strange.

oldandtired 09-24-2018 06:04 AM

Was Kanye West there?

john in illinois 09-24-2018 06:35 AM

I'm with Ralph. My wife and I have more fun collecting bugs than sitting at a car show.

John

Frank Miller 09-24-2018 06:42 AM

My most treasured trophy is my long distance award at the 2017 National Meet in Oregon. They only give out one and nothing tests the mettle of a car like driving it far away and sometimes in the middle of nowhere. Then there were all the Fordbarn guys following my trip. It really does not get much better.

51 MERC-CT 09-24-2018 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce in southern OH (Post 1678409)
We told him he should have asked others running show for info but said most had left. End of story.

To me this pretty much tells the story, he failed to get an explanation.
He was most likely in fact awarded 2nd place and there was a mix up in names at the awards (have seen it happen before ).
They were not able to contact him because he was on a walk around and they just made the switch.

Don 09-24-2018 07:45 AM

I think post no 14 has the answer ,and that’s fine,I really just like to show off the roadster to the older folks, they all seem to have a story to tell about ther younger days riding in the rumble seat....and they appreciate that it’s all original...

Willit Stop 09-24-2018 09:14 AM

A few years ago,A guy was selling tickets for a 50-50 drawing at one of our local rod runs.He had a roll of tickets and a drawing can. Official looking.As it turned out,there was no 50-50 drawing and he was long gone.

51 MERC-CT 09-24-2018 09:36 AM

Is that what is known as an 'entrepreneur':):D

Don 09-24-2018 05:58 PM

About same thing at this show!a lady coming up as soon as you got out of car,she had a clip board with names !i assumed it was registeration,,so I gave her $10 ,then I go up to table to get placard for windshield,that will be $10 please, again,wasn’t my day!!!!

deuce_roadster 09-25-2018 09:59 AM

Like others here, just attending any show, judged or not, is my reward. It is nice when others think your car is good, and reward your hard work but it is not why I go to car events.

Karl 09-26-2018 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RalphM (Post 1678487)

I'm with you Ralph -Using them is were I get the most pleasure . I do display them but judging is not big over here. In the States I'd probably be into fine point judging just for the satisfaction of getting it right -Just not possible over here to get all the parts to do it correctly - I have mine pretty close and the things that aren't right would only be noticed by 2 % of the population. Of course when you display it 40% are self proclaimed experts and quick to point out what they consider to be incorrect- (always incorrectly on their part).