The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Catastrophic crank failure. (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=206095)

35cab 10-02-2016 05:30 PM

Catastrophic crank failure.

2 Attachment(s)
I thought I would share a couple of photos. French block 4" crank in my 35. Whilst on a trip in August I felt a vibration, couldn't work it out, when car got to around 65 vibration went away. 200 miles into my 350 mile drive home to Scotland, had to slow down for roadworks then all hell broke loose.
Undignified return on back of recovery truck.
Pulled the engine last week, could see no obvious problem, checking for crank play float noticed a discrepancy between measurement on the front and at the rear, undid rod cap, ouch! (pic 1) crank out and this is what I found (pic 2)
JB weld ? :-)
I need to work out how this happened.
Gordon.

40cpe 10-02-2016 05:38 PM

Re: Catastrophic crank failure.

I'm sorry to see that. Please keep us informed as you find the root cause. I can think of a couple of possibilities, I'm sure the more experienced builders will have some suggestions.

Bored&Stroked 10-02-2016 05:40 PM

You're very fortunate that the thing didn't let go and destroy the block (at least you didn't mention that!).

Before I pass any judgement - whose crank is it? Is this an original Merc, or a SCAT or Eagle? Also, when the engine was built, was the lower end balanced?

I will say - that is a BAD day to take an engine apart and see that stuff! BUT, it could have been a LOT worse - you could have had rods sticking out of your oilpan!

Russ/40 10-02-2016 06:16 PM

Is this an engine you rebuilt? Was the crank turned for new bearings? If so, did the crank grinder put the appropriate champher on the throws to prevent a stress point? Man, you are amazingly lucky it lasted that long. The rod held it all together.

VeryTangled 10-02-2016 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 35cab (Post 1363861)
JB weld ? :-) Gordon.

That can be fixed.

RalphM 10-02-2016 10:42 PM

Damn cheap foreign parts! :)
Was this a French crank as well?

Brian 10-02-2016 10:48 PM

Brother, I feel your pain!! That is unusual. I'm interested in whether that was a French crank too; my French crank didn't look like that; it was cast steel and the outermost portions of the counterweights had been turned.

1ton 10-02-2016 11:00 PM

look at that sharp corner on the journal. Your rod bearings probably have an 1/8" radius on them and the crank should have the largest radius possible, like 3/32" r. That sharp corner lends itself to fracturing. Make sure your new crank has nice big radii in the corners but not too big to bind the bearings.

Bluebell 10-03-2016 02:05 AM

Can you post pictures of the break? Was there an old crack?

weemark 10-03-2016 03:12 AM

Here's a pic of the break

http://www.garagescene.co.uk/stuff/cgcrank2.JPG

JWL 10-03-2016 04:38 AM

You might want to back off on the nitro percentage.

Bored&Stroked 10-03-2016 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWL (Post 1364116)
You might want to back off on the nitro percentage.

Or less boost!

weemark 10-03-2016 05:16 AM

as far as I know crank is a std French 4" crank (its not an aftermarket crank) which had been ground when the engine was built, the engine was balanced when it was built. the car has been running for 4 years now? maybe longer and never had any issues previously. I'm sure the engine is pretty standard apart from an isky cam and a pair of twin carbs on a thickstun PM7 manifold.

PeteVS 10-03-2016 05:23 AM

Henry was a stubborn sort. One of his points was the three point mounting of suspension and engines. Another was hatred for six cylinder engines. Unfortunately, another was his insistence on three main bearing engines.

Kurt in NJ 10-03-2016 06:46 AM

From what I see there is a sharp corner where there should be a radius----i was checking my collection of cranks and the only ones cracked had been reground without a radius-----I have been teaching myself to run a crankshaft grinder and it takes a lot of dressing to change from a "chevy" radius to the early Ford radius---and grinding wheels are $$----I can see the burn marks on the thrust flanges too from the grinding wheel being hard against them

weemark 10-03-2016 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ (Post 1364142)
I can see the burn marks on the thrust flanges too from the grinding wheel being hard against them

I don't believe the marks you can see are from the grinding wheel, none of the other flanges have any marks on them. I think those marks are from the rod(s) when the crank has broken.

rotorwrench 10-03-2016 08:40 AM

It looks like the crack started in the radius at the bottom of the throw then progressed a good bit until the remaining bit twisted off. The radius on the good side doesn't look very big but photos can be deceiving. It's really hard to determine exactly when the crack started. A person has to do a good Magna-flux of the crank before spending the bucks on machining. If it was cracked before machining, it should have been caught then. I can't see any inclusions in the metal but I'm not looking directly at it either. Magnified inspection can usually tell exactly where the crack started.

aonemarine 10-03-2016 09:10 AM

simplest answer.....its 70 frigging years old! :)

Bored&Stroked 10-03-2016 10:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I agree on the comments about the fillet/radius in the journal corners - there isn't hardly any to be seen. This creates a heck of a weak spot.

Just for comparison, here is the 4" Merc crank that I just put in my 284 cube 42 Merc engine last year - the crank has been offset ground/stroked to 4 1/8".

Notice the nice radius in the rod journal corners - something that I always have done (have a REALLY good crank grinder here in Ohio).

Attachment 288883

SofaKing 10-03-2016 10:20 AM

Are you aware of the engine ever experiencing a sudden stoppage and or the crank ever having been dropped/ fallen over?