The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Points (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=292195)

Flyboy1st 12-29-2020 10:53 AM

I have a nice running 29 coupe with a Nu Rex modern points plate, points, and condenser. Going on a 40 mile run New Years Day so I went to Adv parts store and bought a set of points for a 1970 Ford V8, the didn't fit right. They seemed to be to bulky and were hard to adjust, any body else have issues with points set from brand name parts store?

Gary WA 12-29-2020 11:04 AM

Re: Points

1 Attachment(s)
No, I like the original set up. Never a problem.

katy 12-29-2020 11:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Do they look like this?

Tacoma Bob 12-29-2020 11:56 AM

No problems here with install or adjustment. The problem where I live is finding anyone selling the damn things. Tried auto parts and Ford dealers and they shrug their heads. All told me to go out on the internet which I did. RPITA.

Kevin in NJ 12-29-2020 12:24 PM

Why did you feel the need to replace the points?

Were the point blocks eroding?
Is the wear block fully worn?
Have you properly lubricated the cam?

Just asking as people have this driven need to change the points regularly when it does not need it. My brothers A has the points that came with the car in 1970. The car has been driven a lot.

If you are replacing points for the heck of it you are just risking breaking it. Also you are signing up for more work. New points need to be adjusted a lot until they wear into the cam.

For perspective. One good Ford or Standard Ign point set, used, should get you most of your life of driving. Unless you actually drive like 10,000 miles a year. I have a jar of used points all in great to super condition so I am good till my great great great grandchildren.

Flyboy1st 12-29-2020 12:54 PM

I put the old points back in. I have messed with original points in the past on other Model A and I like them better, just stuck with newer setup for now.

Flyboy1st 12-29-2020 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary WA (Post 1967856)
No, I like the original set up. Never a problem.

Hi Gary, used to live on an island next to yours, Indian Island Annex. One of the best places ever, at least when I was 12 years old...Indian Island.

Gary WA 12-29-2020 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyboy1st (Post 1967905)
Hi Gary, used to live on an island next to yours, Indian Island Annex. One of the best places ever, at least when I was 12 years old...Indian Island.

Nice, Great driving Model A's on the Island as there is less traffic and nice scenery! You best move back!! Have a Great 2021!

JD 1931 12-29-2020 04:01 PM

Napa auto parts ask for the v-eight 57 Ford

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Synchro909 12-29-2020 04:45 PM

It is my belief that points and plugs are replaced waaay more often than is necessary. I have never changed either in my Phaeton with 45,000 miles on them.

AL in NY 12-29-2020 04:59 PM

I agree with "Kevin in NJ": New points have to be adjusted frequently until they wear into the cam. A good friend of mine drove his Model A to Florida this summer and he put in new points just before he left. For the first 1000 miles, he was adjusting the points every evening when he stopped. After the first three days he didn't adjust the points for the rest of the trip down and for the whole trip back to NY. He has the stock style points and only lubricates them now every 1000 miles or so. There's no need to change a perfectly good set of points, you're just asking for more work.

rocket1 12-30-2020 11:48 AM

Being that most of the replacement points for the original Ford set up don't fit correctly because the arm is too long,I burnish the old points that are serviceable and get many trouble free miles out of them.

Bob Bidonde 12-30-2020 12:20 PM

Hmmm! I didn't know about points that have their arms too long. Is this a current problem with original type points in the supply chain?