The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Model A Mechanic (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=303302)

dlfrisch 09-02-2021 08:10 PM

Model A Mechanic

I just got my completed ‘28 Sport Coupe on the road. About 120 new miles…..a dumb woman pulled out between two cars in traffic and slammed into my left drivers front end. I am looking for a knowledgeable mechanic to work on this project in the Daytona - Port Orange - Edgewater, Florida or close by.

McMimmcs 09-02-2021 08:59 PM

Re: Model A Mechanic

Let your insurance company find a qualified repair person.

chrs1961815 09-02-2021 09:01 PM

Depending on what needs to be done, this is really a job for a Model A mechanic as there might be suspension damage too.

Did you restore the car yourself or did somebody else do it? If the latter can you take it back to them?

BRENT in 10-uh-C 09-03-2021 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMimmcs (Post 2052489)
Let your insurance company find a qualified repair person.

Although I have not seen the damage, in all likelihood it is ‘totaled’. The expense to professionally repair a collector vehicle in this time-period is too great. Additionally, finding a qualified shop that is not backed up months will be extremely difficult at best with the nationwide labor shortage. For example, if it came to my shop it would be over a year before I could even touch it.

My advice to David is either fix it himself, -or find a suitable replacement and settle with her insurance company for the costs to buy the replacement.

springerpete 09-03-2021 05:13 AM

Are you a MAFCA member ? Work thru the local club and someone will know of a good repair person. Bill

Patrick L. 09-03-2021 05:18 AM

Do you need a mechanic, or, a body man ? Or both ?

nkaminar 09-03-2021 05:49 AM

DL,

I am so sorry to hear that. It must be disheartening.

There are many lucky Model A owners who are qualified to work on their own cars. It seems that you may be one of them. Get 3 quotes and take that to the insurance company to get a payout. If it is totaled you may be able to buy another car or have the cash to fix it yourself.

I run into Model A owners all the time who are not qualified to work on their own cars. I feel sorry for them as finding mechanics and body men (or women) is almost impossible.

Good luck in your effort to fix your car. Please let the forum know how you resolve the issue.

aermotor 09-03-2021 06:43 AM

A bad thing about this kind of accident is that if you are hit in a front quarter panel it usually takes out the other side also because of that monster head light bar.

John

ronn 09-03-2021 06:48 AM

can you post a photo or two of the damage?

springerpete has the right idea........

Fhane 09-03-2021 08:09 AM

I am a Model A Parts, Service and Repair shop in Stuart Florida. I am way to busy to take on any work. I would suggest contacting Frank Steel in Titusville. His number is 321 269 5576. All he does is work on Model As. There is another shop in West Palm Beach you could connect with.

Feel free to call me if you have and questions or need anything else. Sorry for the predicament you are in.

Fhane Jones
Stuart Model A Parts Service and Repair
1924 NW Pine Tree Lane
Stuart, Florida 34994

772 341 8291

Tom Wesenberg 09-03-2021 09:22 AM

"I run into Model A owners all the time who are not qualified to work on their own cars."

Whoa.........Just because they aren't qualified to work on their own cars is no reason to run into them! LOL

dlfrisch 09-03-2021 11:51 AM

I need both body and some steering stuff. I am from Saratoga.....Now in Port Orange,FL

Als48 09-03-2021 12:16 PM

Who's the fellow in Punta Gorda who sells parts? He would know someone to contact.

California Travieso 09-03-2021 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 2052645)
"I run into Model A owners all the time who are not qualified to work on their own cars."

Whoa.........Just because they aren't qualified to work on their own cars is no reason to run into them! LOL

Tom,

😂👍

David Serrano

burner31 09-03-2021 07:06 PM

Let them total it and buy you a replacement.
Buy the totaled car back...(pennies on the dollar) and take you time repairing it.
Now you have two modal A's, one running and one project.

Now let's talk about the settlement for you injuries...vehicle and injury settlements should be settled as two separate issues. Never let them combine the two...you will lose out on a fair resolution if you do.
Just my opinion- based on my own experience

dlfrisch 09-03-2021 08:08 PM

Thanks I’ll keep the Stuart number….Dave

Garcia 09-03-2021 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by springerpete (Post 2052574)
Are you a MAFCA member ? Work thru the local club and someone will know of a good repair person. Bill

I'm in MAFCA and the local club, and I have not gotten any support from either.

aermotor 09-04-2021 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 2052645)

Tom, Glad to see you recovered your sense of humor after the fire. I missed it for awhile.

John

ronn 09-04-2021 05:46 AM

I'm in MAFCA and the local club, and I have not gotten any support from either.

all clubs are not the same. much of it depends on how active the members are.

Gene F 09-04-2021 02:35 PM

I am curious, who is your insurance carrier? You have fuil coverage, right?