The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   undercoat running boards? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286532)

packrat6 09-02-2020 08:10 AM

undercoat running boards?

beginning the "put it back together" stage on restoration of '30 sedan. running boards were trashed so replacing with aftermarket which i had painted top and underside same as the rest of the car. should the underside of the running boards be undercoated? Car will be an occasional driver.

Ed in Maine 09-02-2020 08:24 AM

Re: undercoat running boards?

I would paint with a good primer and black top coat. You may consider NAPA Chassis Satin Black. It is expensive at $40.00 a quart but it is indestructible. Wear rubber gloves because there is no solvent known to man that will get it off your hands! You have to wait two weeks.

WHN 09-02-2020 09:02 AM

Undercoating?

We did our 29 when it was apart 40 years ago. Still no rust anywhere under car today. No stone chips on underside of fenders or running boards.

Car has won many trophies at local car shows. To most people, it looks great underneath.

We did car from the start as a very good looking driver. Complete rebuilding of running gear, great paint and top. Once it was done we wanted to enjoy it. This has worked out well for us.

Enjoy.

packrat6 09-02-2020 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WHN (Post 1926713)
Undercoating?

We did our 29 when it was apart 40 years ago. Still no rust anywhere under car today. No stone chips on underside of fenders or running boards.

Car has won many trophies at local car shows. To most people, it looks great underneath.

We did car from the start as a very good looking driver. Complete rebuilding of running gear, great paint and top. Once it was done we wanted to enjoy it. This has worked out well for us.

Enjoy.

when you say you "did our 29" do you mean that you undercoated it or was it just painted?

WHN 09-02-2020 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packrat6 (Post 1926719)
when you say you "did our 29" do you mean that you undercoated it or was it just painted?

It was under coated before fenders and running boards were put back on.

Fenders and running boards were under coated off the car and than put on. I wanted all the bolts and nuts to not be coated. I think that looks better. Plus the body inside the rear fenders is painted body color. We did not want any under coating messing that up.

Enjoy.

Jim Brierley 09-02-2020 12:04 PM

My wide-bed has small holes in its metal running boards, worn getting in and out of the drivers door. I think it adds a little bit of character to the truck.

McMimmcs 09-02-2020 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed in Maine (Post 1926699)
I would paint with a good primer and black top coat. You may consider NAPA Chassis Satin Black. It is expensive at $40.00 a quart but it is indestructible. Wear rubber gloves because there is no solvent known to man that will get it off your hands! You have to wait two weeks.

Quality costs money. Do it as Ed suggests!

packrat6 09-02-2020 04:04 PM

already has a primer and the black enamel finish like the body.......put the

Chassis Satin on top of that? or the undercoat on top? or just leave it as is? going to be garage kept and not driven too much.

WHN 09-02-2020 05:01 PM

I would leave it as is. Definitely would not undercoat car now.

Undercoating is not for everyone.

Enjoy.

Purdy Swoft 09-03-2020 11:46 AM

I don't think that the model A came from the factory with undercoating . I paint the underside of the fenders and under carriage black .

30 Closed Cab PU 09-03-2020 12:55 PM

Have heard that undercoating long term can trap moisture as it deteriorates, causing rust.

Would something like a spray on bed-liner be better choice?

JohnB15632 09-03-2020 01:20 PM

I put POR 15 on everything under the vehicle and frame. It seals with the metal and does not trap moisture. It is wicked stuff. Two pair of gloves and long sleeve shirts a must. Do NOT get it on any skin.

packrat6 09-03-2020 03:25 PM

thanks to all for the input.

28Danby 09-03-2020 06:46 PM

Im in the midst of putting back my Tudor with new splash aprons, fenders and running boards and ran a die grinder with beartex pads over the undersides of all of them and then rocker guarded them and top coated them with rustoleum black. Southern ontario so lots of salt and sand in the spring so just another protective layer.