The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   1938 Woodie - closing gap in wood frame (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=288455)

Jacques1960 10-10-2020 08:17 AM

1938 Woodie - closing gap in wood frame

The wooden frame and panel insert gaps are all tight, with the notable exception of the right rear middle horizontal frame member, which has a 1/4” gap relative to the tailgate frame. Before I begin any disassembly, is there an internal means of closing this gap mechanically (tightening a screw or bolt) or is a longer, replacement wood member called for ? Photos to follow .Thank you.

Kube 10-10-2020 10:39 AM

Re: 1938 Woodie - closing gap in wood frame

My guess, and only a guess, is one or more pieces never fit very well together. There's no "adjustment" back there.

Without having that panel in my hands, I can't say for certain whether or not it could be disassembled and reassembled "tighter".

GB SISSON 10-10-2020 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacques1960 (Post 1940103)
The wooden frame and panel insert gaps are all tight, with the notable exception of the right rear middle horizontal frame member, which has a 1/4” gap relative to the tailgate frame. Before I begin any disassembly, is there an internal means of closing this gap mechanically (tightening a screw or bolt) or is a longer, replacement wood member called for ? Photos to follow .Thank you.

I would think it's best to draw the parts back together. Is this a concourse restoration? There are some pretty neat hidden mechanical fasteners such as 'tite-joint connectors' that may be able to be hidden under the surface on the inside with some creative router work. Once you start making longer horizontals, I'm afraid alignment problems will soon follow. Can you post a picture inside and outside of the problem joint?

Jacques1960 10-10-2020 10:58 AM

Was able to add photos via album !

wga 10-10-2020 12:02 PM

That photo of the horizontal piece fitting in the vertical, is a mortise and tenon joint. They become loose over time. Could be that joint has hidden rot, and a new tenon
and or mortise. Belong to the National Woodie Club? There are resources there. Also there is a woodies group on Yahoo.

Jacques1960 10-10-2020 12:13 PM

Thank you

JSeery 10-10-2020 12:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
To get the photos in the thread.

Bill 10-11-2020 08:39 AM

Hey Jaques, welcome to Woodie World! Just for fun go back to the archives of Bring A Trailer. There are five examples of 38 Ford wagons with literally 100s of pictures detailing the wood fitment. You will note there are lotsa wide gaps in certain areas. Ironic your car is featured there minus a clear pic of the problem area... Over 82 years the wood suffers if the car has been exposed to the elements. Over time pieces get replaced/refitted as required. The particular gap in question here appears to be extra open in my opinion. Be careful if you decide to start taking it apart. Could be a can of worms....Nothing wrong with lotsa patina on a woodie. Good luck and certainly join the National woodie Club as there are several members in Maine who would be eager to offer advice/help as required.Maine was a hotbed for woodies back in the day. Mine came from Wiscasset 40 years ago!Bill