The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   License Topper............ (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209932)

31 Model A 11-28-2016 01:54 PM

License Topper............

I'm questioning my memory here, I think this subject came up just a few weeks ago but I can't seem to find it mentioned in the archives, it involved FDR and running for President in 1933. If it wasn't a subject for discussion before, maybe this would be an interest to have for your A. I've no room.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371800006356...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

C26Pinelake 11-28-2016 02:15 PM

Re: License Topper............

This is outside the Model A era and in my opinion would look like a cheap trinket. If it was 28-31 okay! Wayne

Terry, NJ 11-28-2016 02:32 PM

Roosevelt ran in 1932, 1936, 1940, and finally in 1944 and died in April 1945. It could have been any one of those years.
Terry

31 Model A 11-28-2016 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry, NJ (Post 1391773)
Roosevelt ran in 1932, 1936, 1940, and finally in 1944 and died in April 1945. It could have been any one of those years.
Terry

True, since no date is present, it could have been used all four campaign times.

DougVieyra 11-28-2016 02:47 PM

Not being a Roosevelt (as in Franklin) fan, the license plate "Topper" on my '28 Phaeton says, "Who But Hoover !" And the 'Topper' on my late '31 Dlx Coupe says "Win with Willkie". For those of you who did not vote in the 1940 election (and for those who DID vote in the 1940 election - but just don't remember ANYTHING that far back), Wendell Willkie was the Republican Presidential candidate who ran against FDR in the 1940 election.

And then there was the famous "Start Packing Elinor" topper and stickers. (Again, for those who did not vote in the 1940 election - Elinor was Franklin Roosevelt's wife).

And then there was the (pre-mature) newspaper headline that shouted "Willkie Wins". Those days were very much like today's turbulent election results.

** If you have an interest in some of these early license plate 'Toppers', there are quite a few being reproduced. Just assume that anything you find IS a reproduction and NOT an original. Some say they are original, or imply so - and in fact are not original. Caveat emptor.

31 Model A 11-28-2016 02:59 PM

While doing more research, there were quite a few different styles given out back then, some with years, some without but..........................

I came across these that I had no idea existed and at somewhere we all shop, if still available but I'm sure are repops.

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/license-plate-topper

31 Model A 11-28-2016 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougVieyra (Post 1391784)
Not being a Roosevelt (as in Franklin) fan, the license plate "Topper" on my '28 Phaeton says, "Who But Hoover !" And the 'Topper' on my late '31 Dlx Coupe says "Win with Willkie". For those who don't know, Wendell Willkie was the Republican Presidential candidate who ran against FDR in the 1940 election.

And then there was the famous "Start Packing Elinor" topper and stickers.

I don't consider things like these items being part of 'bling' but being a part of your A, my A, during that time's happenings. They were there and things of that time became part of it's owner need to advertise their thoughts. Not much different than today.

C26Pinelake 11-28-2016 03:53 PM

in my opinion the cheap trinkets, clutter, junque cheapen the car and reduce its attractiveness and authenticity. eBay is full of this cheap repo junk. Some cars have so much jewellery / junk on the front that they restrict wind flow to the radiator. Wayne

Terry, NJ 11-28-2016 04:53 PM

I didn't want to do politics. (Verboten)so I didn't express my preferences, But I recall my Brother in law (Born in 1917) telling me how it was actually Hoover who started many of the programs St. Franklin later took advantage of. He , FDR. campaigned against them saying "we don't need this alphabet soup of federal programs" You won't read it in the history books and only the most diligent searches will turn it up, but it did happen. But the best one was the great depression of 1920! You never heard of it? Yeah that's not surprising. Anyway, The big bankers came to Harding and told him that there was a depression on and he'd have to do something (Spend other people's money) He told them he wasn't going to do anything and that they got themselves into this mess and they could get themselves out of it. None months later it was a memory, at least to those who remembered it. See it's history, not politics!
Terry

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougVieyra (Post 1391784)
Not being a Roosevelt (as in Franklin) fan, the license plate "Topper" on my '28 Phaeton says, "Who But Hoover !" And the 'Topper' on my late '31 Dlx Coupe says "Win with Willkie". For those of you who did not vote in the 1940 election (and for those who DID vote in the 1940 election - but just don't remember ANYTHING that far back), Wendell Willkie was the Republican Presidential candidate who ran against FDR in the 1940 election.

And then there was the famous "Start Packing Elinor" topper and stickers. (Again, for those who did not vote in the 1940 election - Elinor was Franklin Roosevelt's wife).

And then there was the (pre-mature) newspaper headline that shouted "Willkie Wins". Those days were very much like today's turbulent election results.

** If you have an interest in some of these early license plate 'Toppers', there are quite a few being reproduced. Just assume that anything you find IS a reproduction and NOT an original. Some say they are original, or imply so - and in fact are not original. Caveat emptor.

DougVieyra 11-28-2016 05:15 PM

31 Model A, post # 6: ". . . . being part of 'bling' "

Okey, Okay, O.K. - So it sounds like you did NOT vote in the 1940 election. You must be one of those YOUNG people !

As a man who campaigned vigorously for Woodrow Wilson, I must ask you :
What the hell is 'bling' ?

The only time I ever heard that word, was in 1929, when I was in a bar and a drunk, slurring his words, kept raving about the crooner Bling Crosby !
--------------------

Thank you Terry, post 7, for an informative and enlightening bit of history. I for one, appreciate all these little 'tid bits' that help put our beloved Model A in it's historic perspective.

31 Model A 11-28-2016 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougVieyra (Post 1391849)

Okey, Okay, O.K. - So it sounds like you did NOT vote in the 1940 election. You must be one of those YOUNG people !

As a man who campaigned vigorously for Woodrow Wilson, I must ask you :
What the hell is 'bling' ?

The only time I ever heard that word, was in 1929, when I was in a bar and a drunk, slurring his words, kept raving about the crooner Bling Crosby !
--------------------

Thank you Terry, post 7, for an informative and enlightening bit of history. I for one, appreciate all these little 'tid bits' that help put our beloved Model A in it's historic perspective.

What most Model A owners call 'bling' I called it 'jewelry'. I was taught what 'bling' was at that time when I called it 'jewelry'. The extra items that go along with the 'era' of Model As. Things dated to the Model A era to put a bit more into driving a vintage auto of a certain time period. The extras that were added 'after' it came off the assembly line. Sarah has her bit and pieces all dated from 1928-1938. They mostly all have become part of my and Sarah's stories that so many here enjoy!!!! :rolleyes::D Pretty soon Sarah and I will be returning "Home for the Holidays". Coming soon....on a forum near you!!!! ;)

31 Model A 11-28-2016 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougVieyra (Post 1391849)

Okey, Okay, O.K. - So it sounds like you did NOT vote in the 1940 election.

Nope!! wasn't around in 1940 to vote, I was in London during the Blitz!!!! Much too busy fighting fires at night and shooting down jerry during the day. ;)

DougVieyra 11-28-2016 06:58 PM

31 Model A: " I was in London during the Blitz!"
-------------------------
Well, THAT explains why you write with an accent ! So tell me, how were the Grits in London's famous Grit & Chip shops?

O.K - now I get it. What you call 'jewelry', and others call 'Bling',
- I call 'accessories'.

Tomatoe, tomato - Potatoe, patoto, Ketchup, Catsup

31 Model A 11-28-2016 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougVieyra (Post 1391910)
31 Model A: " I was in London during the Blitz!"
-------------------------

O.K - now I get it. What you call 'jewelry', and others call 'Bling',
- I call 'accessories'.

Tomatoe, tomato - Potatoe, patoto, Ketchup, Catsup

BINGO!!!!

Also, humor/humour, color/colour, boot/trunk, US fanny/UK fanny......:D

C26Pinelake 11-28-2016 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 31 Model A (Post 1391886)
What most Model A owners call 'bling' I called it 'jewelry'. I was taught what 'bling' was at that time when I called it 'jewelry'. The extra items that go along with the 'era' of Model As. Things dated to the Model A era to put a bit more into driving a vintage auto of a certain time period. The extras that were added 'after' it came off the assembly line. Sarah has her bit and pieces all dated from 1928-1938. They mostly all have become part of my and Sarah's stories that so many here enjoy!!!! :rolleyes::D Pretty soon Sarah and I will be returning "Home for the Holidays". Coming soon....on a forum near you!!!! ;)

" That so many here enjoy!" Now that is indeed your funniesr one liner we have been exposed or subjected to. Wayne

Brad in Germany 11-30-2016 05:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry, NJ (Post 1391773)
Terry

Roosevelt must have been a great president.....after all, he drove a Ford Model A Cabriolet 68B:
http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attach...1&d=1480545332

Fordially,
Brad in Maryland

WTSHNN 11-30-2016 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad in Germany (Post 1392845)
Roosevelt must have been a great president.....after all, he drove a Ford Model A Cabriolet 68B:

Fordially,
Brad in Maryland

He also had a '28 Phaeton and a Roadster...(I also swear I have him in a station wagon too, will look for that pic)

https://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69887

-Tim

C26Pinelake 11-30-2016 07:28 PM

I am sure Mr. Roosevelt was a fine gentleman and president. Collecting kids toys to adorn your car is quite another matter. Just because something came from that wear does not mean it belongs on the car. Most people laugh at a car with all the childish adornments on it. To think it makes the car look attractive is very comical. Wayne

BILL WILLIAMSON 11-30-2016 07:31 PM

'31 Grit Guy,
The Dog "thought" you had one to get rid of, he sed, "WE'LL TAKE IT, WE'LL TAKE IT"!!!----"HURRY up & send him my address"!!----"I have MONEY buried out back"!! !
Bill W. & "Fido"

Russ B 12-01-2016 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad in Germany (Post 1392845)

Fordially,
Brad in Maryland

He had a 68A as well, while New York governor. His driver wrecked it.